The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Yamaha Junkies First build thread. Wanna watch?

Well, Here I go.........

The quick story; I started with Restorations to learn Guitar building/repair. I figured 3-4 years of tooling up. Maybe a kit or 2. ZOOM. I bought out a Luthier. Just about everything tools and wood you could dream of.
My business is Photography. I split my Photography studio in half to put in a proper workshop. That, taking over my guitar room with shelving to hold properly stored wood and rebuilding the studio so I could work took 3 intense weeks. Due to incredible timing I then went to the 2009 A.S.I.A Symposium for a few days (check it out if you are even THINKING of building or repairing). I learned more in 3 days than I have in 2 years of wanting to do this. The support, contacts and new friends really helped me understand: I can do this.
This is primarily a scratch build. I have many semi finished necks and a few other shortcuts. Keep in mind I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. I have rebuilt a few houses, done wood work. But nothing like this. Lets see what happens.
I will post here as I go to keep track and maybe me and a few others will learn along the way. I bet a bunch of Don't do it this ways lol.
Questions, observations and experience are welcome.
6/29/09
I sat down with a pre Joined soundboard, I think Sitka. I drew out the body, I used a Blues Creek Martin Stencil to get the shape.
Then found the sound hole center. Using a compass I started to rough out rosette locations.
Just for kicks I laid a Yamaha FG on and traced the difference.

The "M" and the "Y' are tough to see. The resolution is turned down to keep images easy to look at.
Since I am already set up for it, this one will be a Martin D shape, Mahogany Back and sides.
I think a Rosette should represent the feelings or emotions of the moment.
My first design;

Then I thought… The rings of a tree overlapping would look cool. It looked to much like a topless race lol !

So I played around with some wavy Spalted scraps. ALWAYS wear your mask messing with wood. Especially Spalted wood. The black lines are a mold.
My wife said “tooooo Funky”

I super Glued it and saved it for another day.
So a ring of Mahogany it is. I had a scrap Mahogany top (broken in a few places).
Now, How?
I cut it out rough with a scroll saw. Shouldn’t have. But I finished it with the right tool.
I spent an hour figuring out the ups and downs of the Stew Mac Dremel set up for Rosettes and holes. I could not find the center pin to rotate the fixture on. So I found a proper sized bit. Drilled it into the Sitka Top and then into the table top. Leaving it stuck in the table. Perfect.
I cut for the inner ring, outer ring and Mahogany ring. Also the sound hole was scored but not cut through. I took off the sound board and pinned down the scrolled rough rosette. I cut it almost perfect. One dip, so now I have the direction of the Mahogany grain (to hide the dip)

Using other rosettes for my height guide I thinned the Mahogany ring. Using the fancy shmancy Jet thickness sander eliminated a ton of time and likely screw ups. You run the item though many times grinding off small layers at a time.

I lined everything for a test fit and
OOPS
Not sure what I measured wrong but my Sitka field is now another ring of Mahogany. I mean...Wouldn't it look perfect with another field of Mahogany!

I had a 3/1000'ths I could not account for. So I made it up with a .003 strip
Everything is superglued in place. After it hardens I will thickness sand the top and rosette down to get started on making braces.
I hope it survives!

Just dreamin'
Old 06-30-2009, 01:32 PM

looks cool!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pumped for you and I'll be watching this thread...........
Old 06-30-2009, 01:36 PM

>> Wanna watch?

Yes please

Very cool, so far. Nerves of steel you must have. I liked your terror rosette sketch
Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Interesting stuff. Hang in there... we'll be watching!

- Glenn
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Can't wait

Well another YJ thread on a build, you bet I'll be watching it and learn from some of your mistakes.Ship
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is great! Jumping in and having a good time teaching yourself what you may or may not ever learn. COOL.

Count me as a lurker to this newest YJ thread. It's fun to watch your tricks, John.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Did you watch those Mayes instructional videos yet? Having a guitar being built by John has made me curious to check them out myself. I remembered you buying them quite a while back.

Pretty cool stuff you are getting into. Keep it up maybe in a few years you'll be the next sponsor on the AGF!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Wanna watch?...
You have to ask? Of course we wanna watch

Not wanting to be picky or anything, but how come it's not a parlour, though?

Fliss
Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 PM

AWESOME thread YJ! Looking forward to the step-by-step photos as it literally feel like we're "watching" the entire process

Any word on the Brazilian project yet? Been keeping track of that one too!

BH
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Far Out!

I wish it was me I want to watch... oh yes!!!!

Jay
Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Aw, man - that's AWESOME, YJ! I'm really excited for you. Do you have the headstock logo designed yet?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Good question, Neil! How about it, YJ. Create a fun logo!

Maybe we can help think up a few suggestions:
A kitchen sink? A dish shape from the John Kitchen home?

Maybe you can bring on a YJ speciality parlor size and call it the "Kitchen Cafe."

C'mon, John. You are the creative one. Sketch and show the world what is in your busy head. I love watching your inventions. 'Tis fun!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

SuperB23
Did you watch those Mayes instructional videos yet? Having a guitar being built by John has made me curious to check them out myself. I remembered you buying them quite a while back.
Pretty cool stuff you are getting into. Keep it up maybe in a few years you'll be the next sponsor on the AGF!!

I watched all of them once. The neck one and two a few times. Thanks for reminding me. So much has happened since I got those. I will pull them out and watch the parts on tap tuning my braces next.
I am working out of 3 books, OLF suport and the good ol' Google

BHulkster
AWESOME thread YJ! Looking forward to the step-by-step photos as it literally feel like we're "watching" the entire process
Any word on the Brazilian project yet? Been keeping track of that one too

The Parlor is together. I have to make a new bridge the one on it is way too big. Fix a crack I put into it, and move the neck a 1/4" west of where it is lol. Then finish the French Polish. Right now it sounds like a Ukle on Steroids.
I figure I will mess with it in drying times on the build. \
Not wanting to be picky or anything, but how come it's not a parlour, though?
Fliss

Fliss, a Parachutist starts with a big Parachute and works his way down, lol
I already have a pile of 14 fret necks, Dred Molds, Dred Bender. I will reinvent after I get out a few bugs. Speaking of bugs.... my 4th guitar will be inlaid to the hilt with Monarchs in thier cycles of life and auctioned off to benifit "Monarch Watch". No BS, we have been emailing back n forth. They are on board and excited. They are legaly scoring me some Oyamel fir to incorporate into the guitar. (The Monarchs Migrate to the Oyamel Firs) I hope that guitar is a Parlor. Neat huh?
Mary - Maybe you can bring on a YJ speciality parlor size and call it the "Kitchen Cafe."
"The Kitchen Parlor is for when you feel like you need more than just a Living room Guitar" Gen u wine 84 Meat Packing Cow Bone Saddle and Nut (R)
Now for the logo
Maybe a cow jumping over a "John"?
I'll work on that
Old 07-01-2009, 06:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

[/QUOTE]"The Kitchen Parlor is for when you feel like you need more than just a Living room Guitar" Gen u wine 84 Meat Packing Cow Bone Saddle and Nut (R)
Now for the logo
I'll work on that[/QUOTE]

You are a nut. In Sayin' that, I add, " I dare ya!"

[email protected]
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

"The Kitchen Parlor is for when you feel like you need more than just a Living room Guitar" Gen u wine 84 Meat Packing Cow Bone Saddle and Nut (R)
Now for the logo
I'll work on that[/QUOTE]

You are a nut. In Sayin' that, I add, " I dare ya!" [/QUOTE]

Hey Froggy Bottom worked out ok lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair