The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-11-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitkatjoe View Post
Do you feel sorry for people who must read the music, in order to play songs ?😢😢😢
Sight reading music scores is a lot of fun. Are you ever sorry you can't sight read music?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-11-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sight reading music scores is a lot of fun. Are you ever sorry you can't sight read music?
I can, I can, but being free with my iq of 55 using my right and left ears is more fun.😉 And if the wind blows my sheet music away the ears are still a hearing.😂😂😂
Old 01-11-2020, 01:17 PM

Being able to play both by "eye" and "ear" would be ideal. I'm way better by eye than ear.

I've recently switched focus to my ears. Since music enjoyment is by ear, I'd rather be best at playing by ear. It's closer to the music, closer to improvisation and there is more raw material easily available. I think even rudimentary skill be eye is enough to give your ears what they need to take over. We'll see how it goes for me.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Do you feel sorry for people who must read the music, in order to play songs ?😢😢😢
Hardly. Some of them are the best musicians out there.

For my part, most of what I play these days I learn by ear, which is fine for, well, most of what I play these days.

However, I can read music, too.

Learning by ear alone limits one to music which they've heard someone else play first. There is a whole world of compositions out there that can be discovered only by reading the musical notation language they were written in. It ain't on the radio.

I have books of guitar and piano music with pieces that I may have never heard of before but because I can read music, they are available to me. There's gold to be found.

I've known people who can only play what they read. I was once one, myself. I'm very glad I learned and play by ear, too...It saves a lot of money on sheet music.
On the other hand, there are situations where written music is passed out to be performed and the play-only-by-ear person will be lost.

Both ways are fine if it makes one happy, but each exclusively on their own can be limiting.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:11 PM

Who says if you're reading the music you are "chained" to it?

While there may be musicians out there who can read music but can only play what's on the page, most can read what's there and still add their own interpretation--add dynamics and embellishments like vibrato, strumming patterns, throw in a non-notated lick here and there.

I'd say musicians who can read music but are "chained" to it are very, very few in number, (or perhaps are beginners who are just learning their instrument).
Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Who says if you're reading the music you are "chained" to it?

While there may be musicians out there who can read music but can only play what's on the page, most can read what's there and still add their own interpretation--add dynamics and embellishments like vibrato, strumming patterns, throw in a non-notated lick here and there.

I'd say musicians who can read music but are "chained" to it are very, very few in number, (or perhaps are beginners who are just learning their instrument).
Fantastic!☺😊😁
Old 01-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi K-k-j

I'm not sure I feel sorry. As a former teacher, I can tell you once they digest/memorize a piece, they tend to play it much more freely, and with more feeling and emotion.

What concerns me as a player is when one is tied to the 'notes', then success is often tied to the idea of playing them perfectly. It puts a lot of pressure on players.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write