The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2020, 06:59 PM

Question How Would You Rate This Flamenco "Piece"

I've learned this after LOTS of attempts...and I'm wondering whether this would be considered intermediate, intermediate-advanced, or advanced level playing/performing?

Also the last time I referred to a flamenco "song" as a "piece", I received an implication that I misspoke, from a forum member. What is the proper term please ? A number, a song, a piece, a bulleria, a ......?

Anyway, it's impressive to say the least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXa6FFnPI0
Old 01-07-2020, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I've learned this after LOTS of attempts...and I'm wondering whether this would be considered intermediate, intermediate-advanced, or advanced level playing/performing?

Also the last time I referred to a flamenco "song" as a "piece", I received an implication that I misspoke, from a forum member. What is the proper term please ? A number, a song, a piece, a bulleria, a ......?

Pretty far along in the flamenco style. I would call it a piece or a tune. A song implies lyrics.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-07-2020, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

He's obviously a great player, but (and I'm no professional or virtuoso) this piece doesn't strike me as super difficult. Difficulty level seems pretty intermediate to this picker. But the feeling he imparts is from a lifetime of practice.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:39 PM

I'd give him an "advanced" rating. Lots of rather ordinary players fall in the intermediate category. Not many players are going to be much better. This guy is up there too.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 PM

He's an advanced player, perhaps a master.

Technically rick-slo is correct. A song is sung. I call my instrumentals, "pieces."

These days, people play very loosely with the word "song."
Old 01-08-2020, 03:32 AM

That's an advanced piece imo. The arpeggios don't look too difficult but it is the fast strumming that makes it difficult. Now, it could be the performer is double-timing on the strumming parts....and if that's the case, the piece would not be that difficult and I would rate it intermediate to advance.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post

I'd put it somewhere between intermediates and advanced. Parts of it are very easy, others more challenging. The right hand technique is the hardest part - certainly to get it sounding as strong and confident as that - while the left hand is pretty straightfodward.
(It sounds to me like one of the chords there is wrong, but this guy looks like too much of a pro to have made a mistake - and the same mistake several times.)

There are many versions of this piece in existence. There's an easy version used for grade 1 guitar in the UK (using the part from 0:22 to 0:40, combined with a second section something like 1:46-1:54).

Last edited by JonPR; 01-08-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:35 AM

He doesn’t play badly or anything, but it’s not the real thing. First of all, he’s using his hands “wrong.” Real flamenco guitarists keep the fretting-hand thumb behind the neck, and his right hand looks as if he’s been playing with a pick until recently (in fact, he plays with a pick in other videos). That strumming at the beginning sounds okay, but it looks like it’s been adopted from rumba or something. Secondly, the piece, which is exactly the right word in this case, is by Cuban composer Ernesto Leucona. Sabicas played it a lot (videos on YouTube) but it’s always been more classical than flamenco, and a little bit corny. The malagueña style that real flamenco guitarists play is different. Rather than being a composed piece, it consists of a series of preconceived ideas called falsetas that the guitarist strings together as he/she wishes. If you want the real thing, start with Ramon Montoya (not Carlos!), and there are plenty more, right up to modern times. I don’t understand why guitarists who are interested in flamenco would even consider looking outside of Spain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write