The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-10-2020, 02:13 PM

Default Reverend Robert Jones instruction U tube videos

I am sure everyone here looking for great free YouTube acoustic traditional blues instruction has discovered the amazing DaddyStovePipe channel, but I just discovered the wonderful Reverend Robert Jones last week. I am very much enjoying his great articulate instruction that is broken down super easy for both lower/mid level guitarist, but still interesting enough for higher level guitarists.

But what I am really enjoying is the incredible storytelling and the rich history of the blues The Rev includes as he shows you some songs and licks. He really nails the story of how the Blues came to be and the evolution of the music through time. He is a minister, a historian and a PhD scholar, how many musicians cannot claim all those titles. He is a sweet old soul and I like that his playing is not always "perfect" and out of the range of a typical low or mid level player looking for some instruction they can pick up by ear and sight. TAB is not for everyone and when you learn the Blues as we all have different learning styles. Being a visual and kinesthetic learner, I prefer the traditional way the blues has been passed down from player to player. The Rev encourages people to "personalize" the music to your personal style and taste and that is the creative aspect of music so many players miss. Classical training being the ultimate example where great musicians are not able to play with a sheet of music in front of their face. I think it is hard to learn the creative aspects of the Blues if you limit your learning with reading TAB or sheet music. Although I believe his music is all tabbed out by True Fire if that is your thing.

But what a great laid back style The Rev has, I would love to hear him live in a concert setting. He is a living historic treasure in my eyes and we are lucky to have a musician with his skill and his historical understanding of where the music came from and where it has gone since it's origins.

The Rev has teamed up with True Fire and many of his lessons are out there on YouTube for free and or you can sign up for the free 30 day trial for a month of free access. I think he has 2 series of lessons they put out in 2019. I have never paid for any of these TrueFire lessons, but thinking I will do the free ones and then the 30 day trial and see how I feel after the trial is over about paying for more. Maybe others here have some experience and can chime in on how they feel about the TrueFire paid subscriptions? Looks like they have some other great instructors, like David Hamburg.

Here is the hour+ intro video to the series and you can do some searching for the rest of the shorter video instruction out there in YouTube land Enjoy and feel free to include comments and links to some of these great video lessons as I am finding they are scattered around and a bit hard to find on the normal Youtube channel type deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAuFvMB9wrk&t=1129s
Old 01-10-2020, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the post and the link, can't wait to check it out!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write