The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-07-2020, 10:28 PM

Default Looking For Bluegrass Lessons Suggestions

I live in a small town looking to get into bluegrass and would like to get some lessons online. Free is great but would be also willing to fork over cash. Youtube is great for fragmented specific things I want to learn but lacks the structured point A to Z roadmap I'd like to follow to improve my skills. I've done jam play in the past and thought it was ok but their bluegrass selection is quite limited. Any thoughts?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 PM

Artistworks has lessons by Bryan Sutton. They aren’t free, but they’re good.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=shakenbake;6259192]I live in a small town looking to get into bluegrass and would like to get some lessons online. Free is great but would be also willing to fork over cash. Youtube is great for fragmented specific things I want to learn but lacks the structured point A to Z roadmap I'd like to follow to improve my skills. I've done jam play in the past and thought it was ok but their bluegrass selection is quite limited. Any thoughts?

You need to watch a lot of pockets in b. groups.
Observation can help you to learn.😉
Old 01-08-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
I got a month's free of lessons when I bought a Digitech 280 compressor pedal for my electrics. I think it costs $29.99 a month for his lessons. The good thing is that you can download all of his video lessons and pdfs for your home use. He has a bunch of them and they are in three levels of difficulty plus he has lessons on technique, exercises, etc.

This isn't online as far as I know, but I would also recommend Homespun. I think the folks there are great to work with regarding customer service. I was one of the company's earlier customers and I bought a set of six cassettes (yes, cassettes) and when they started going bad I contacted the company and asked if they could send me some more or suggest something for the cassettes that were failing. They said they no longer sold the cassettes so sent me ... free ... the same set (with improved transcription) on DVD. Among the artists I really like Russ Barenberg.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 01-08-2020, 09:46 AM

I'm also a member of Bryan Sutton's ArtistWorks course and can't recommend it enough! I've already learnt a lot during the short time I've been a member and I'm looking forward to working my way through the huge amount of lessons that are to follow.

I haven't sent in any videos of myself yet, but have watched many of the other students video exchanges and Bryan usually gets back to them with a personal 15-20 minute long video respons. He genuinely seems to want to help every student as much as possible. It blows my mind to think of how much time he must have put into this course.

They often have good sales on their one year memberships. I signed up at 40% off during Black Friday and know they had a 50% off deal during Christmas. Don't know when their next deal is coming, but they seem fairly regular.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockfinder View Post
Yes, I've been taking Bryan's lessons for years and they're really good. My only beef is that he's not going much into music theory. But if you are looking for a solid foundation of how to play bluegrass, his school is the place to go. Bryan also places a lot of emphasis on things that many other teachers totally gloss over, including my in-person bluegrass teacher that I took lessons from for a long time: posture and how to achieve proper technique that allows you to play this demanding style of music without developing injuries and producing great tone.

Unfortunately, you just missed the annual big sale that artistworks puts on every christmas season, when they give you 50% off a yearly subscription. You could check out some of their sample lessons in the meantime, and wait for another sale to come up, which happens pretty regularly, although none of them as substantial as the holiday sale.

Still, even at the regular price, it's totally worth it. In-person or Skype lessons cost more by an order of magnitude.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 01-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian View Post
It blows my mind to think of how much time he must have put into this course.
Yes, it blows my mind as well. I have submitted a few video submissions, although not nearly as many as I should, but Bryan's feedback is unbelievably helpful. I'm almost hesitant to recommend his school, simply because I fear that with each new student who signs up, he must be getting closer to a situation where he can no longer sustain this model.

So, to the OP: Check it out but let's keep our mouths shut from here on.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 01-08-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
The good thing is that you can download all of his video lessons and pdfs for your home use.
I'm not aware that it's possible to download the videos...? Watch them, yes, but download them as files? If you know how to do that, please share.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Taylor GS Mini
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 01-09-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:16 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking at all the lessons they have for Bryan's course and it's looks pretty compelling since it seems very comprehensive. The price tag is up there for sure. I sent a message to ArtisWorks support to beg for the 50% holiday discount. Hopefully they will grant me mercy.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:55 PM

There's a young guy in Austin, Texas with a website called countryguitaronline.com. The subscription price is very reasonable and his videos are very thorough.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Pegheadnation.com is another online website similar to Artistworks.com. Scott Nygaard teaches the bluegrass guitar course. It's a bit cheaper than Artistworks.
Check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write