The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)
Default Is there a right way to finger strum?

It's subjective but I have found I can get a better sound out of an acoustic but strumming downwards with the pad of my thumb and then upwards with with the pad of my fore finger.

But I went to a guitar teacher of some repute and he told me that this was the wrong way to strum and I should imagine I was holding a pick and hold my forefinger and thumb together when strumming. He may be right in that this might make easier to play faster but I much prefer the sound of my previous method.

Who's right?
Old 01-05-2020, 12:16 PM

Strumming is pretty individual, and there are many techniques used - not one. So your teacher may have found one that works the best for THEM, and is convinced this is the ONLY way.

(When you just got a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail.)

We all want techniques to be binary - either correct, or not. Very few actually are this way.

Instead of looking at technique as correct or 'right' consider instead the concepts of efficient, effective and optimal. If a technique does not impede or restrict your ability to create sound and music, it is fine. On the other hand, if <insert famous player> does something a particular way, and you find it limiting, then drop it and find a better way (for you). IMO this is the ONLY yardstick one should use when evaluating technique (does this limit me, or assist me?).

So, to answer the question - your teacher is NOT right to tell you their way is THE best way to strum. I've used their technique and find it quite limiting (for myself). Strumming, plucking and picking are far too individual to be reduced to One Best Way.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 01-05-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
It's subjective but I have found I can get a better sound out of an acoustic but strumming downwards with the pad of my thumb and then upwards with with the pad of my fore finger.

But I went to a guitar teacher of some repute and he told me that this was the wrong way to strum and I should imagine I was holding a pick and hold my forefinger and thumb together when strumming. He may be right in that this might make easier to play faster but I much prefer the sound of my previous method.

Who's right?
Your teacher is WRONG. There are multiple ways to strum, and a good player will incorporate multiple methods.

He should have said, here's another thing for you to try.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Who's right?
If your way sounds better, you are right. No contest.

But if the teacher's way makes it "easier to play faster", then that's worth bearing in mind for when that might be important to make a song sound the way you want, if your technique doesn't do it.

FWIW, I often strum with the pad (or side) of my thumb, when just trying out chords or learning a song. It certainly has a different sound from using a pick, or fingerpicking, or strumming with fingernails. I can see that sometimes that sound would be just right. Personally I can't see how using the pad of the index for upstrokes works - it puts my hand in a strange position, and I use the thumb for both down and up - but YMMV, obviously.

The main reason I wouldn't use my thumb - other than in the above situations - is the sound is too soft, not clean or loud enough.

The point is to be aware of all the possible techniques, to try them all, and use whichever ones give the effect you want. Your teacher is wrong to say (if he did) that only one way is "correct", because different ways are "correct" for different sounds or situations. But your teacher will certainly know the most efficient techniques - that's his job - so don't dismiss his opinions in general. He may feel that your choice will hold you back in future - which is probably true, but may not bother you now. After all, if you find at some time in the future that it does hold you back, then you can investigate other techniques at that time.
Then again, what do you go to a teacher for? You have to expect a teacher to point out flaws in your technique, identify mistakes that you're not aware you're making. If you're not prepared for that - if you don't actually want to have your choices challenged, to have your technique polished - don't go to a teacher!
Old 01-05-2020, 01:29 PM

Some of the "correct" guitar blessings I've gathered from the collective, yawning maw of self appointed guitar experts over the years (just a sampler list):

There's only one correct way to finger strum.

There's only one correct way to hold a pick.

There's only one correct way to play a "G" chord.

Capos are for those who are either lazy or incompetent.

You should never plant your pinkie when fingerpicking.

You should always plant your pinkie when fingerpicking.

Thick flat picks are superior to thin flat picks.

But...hey, I still suck, so maybe they were all right.

Last edited by DukeX; 01-05-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Incompetence
Old 01-05-2020, 01:42 PM

Location: 4 miles from Abbey Road, 5 miles from Page's Gibson(maybe), 120 miles from the Richards's mansion(I think)

Thank you for the replies.

They confirm my instinct that there is no single right way to strum.

The teacher however did tell me one 'right' thing - that is how to hold the neck - with the thumb vertical instead of horizontal - imo there is no debating this - for one thing it makes barre chords a great deal more achievable.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There's no right or wrong, but the issue I'd have with your method is a lack of attack. I can't imagine there are many songs that would benefit from that. What your teacher is suggesting incorporates the nail into the strum. The nail produces an attack that a fleshy finger can't do unless you're snapping the strings somehow.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 01-06-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Always enjoy listening to these two. Now that's some strumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkGKQvc_PbM

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-06-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Always enjoy listening to these two. Now that's some strumming.
That was way cool.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:36 PM

Default Rasgueado!

I must concede those flamenco cats have strumming down pat. Here are some examples of an alternative, and some would say, more efficient way of finger strumming.

And in context...

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 01-07-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
I must concede those flamenco cats have strumming down pat. Here are some examples of an alternative, and some would say, more efficient way of finger strumming.
Truly amazing.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 PM

There are several "right ways" to finger strum.
The first right hand technique I learned was the Carter Scratch. I played the melody on the bass strings and strummed with my bird finger, nail going down and pad coming up (Maybelle Carter used her index finger).
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 01-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Thank you for the replies.

They confirm my instinct that there is no single right way to strum.

The teacher however did tell me one 'right' thing - that is how to hold the neck - with the thumb vertical instead of horizontal - imo there is no debating this - for one thing it makes barre chords a great deal more achievable.
I would say that there is no right way but finding the techniques that yield the tone that you are seeking. Some ways of strumming do not make for as good of a sound as another approach. Experiment to see what gives you the best tone for your needs.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM

I've actually NEVER liked what your teacher says is "right."

The way strumming sounds best to me (when using fingers) is to use the back of the nails. But even that's a compromise. For a tune full of strumming, and little else, no matter how much a "dyed in the wool fingerpicker" you are, get a cheap pick and you'll know why people use them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write