The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-02-2019, 06:04 PM

Default The Pentangle tunes any tabs?

Anybody have any tabs for any Pentangle songs, such as Light Flight, Train Song or Chasing Love etc?

Thanks
Paul
Old 12-03-2019, 06:30 AM

I have Light Flight (vocal and both guitar parts), and the main section of Train Song: vocal and guitar riff - i.e, based on Bert's original solo version and how that was adapted for the Pentangle version, but without the other sections they added.

PM me with an email, I can send PDFs.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM

The tab for Lord Franklin is available from Stefan Grosmman's Wednesday's free lesson with tab/music :
https://youtu.be/0n02qyrlBUk
Click on the link in the text to register, then you get an email with a link to download the tab.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:16 AM

Many thanks Nico
Old 12-15-2019, 02:19 PM

It would be cool to support the Bert Jansch Foundation & buy this book:

https://bertjanschfoundation.org/transcriptions-2
Old 12-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
It would be cool to support the Bert Jansch Foundation & buy this book:

https://bertjanschfoundation.org/transcriptions-2
I agree!

The fact I had a big hand in that book has nothing to do with this opinion . (I don't get royalties btw.)

However, there are no Pentangle tunes in it - because (mostly) they are a pita to transcribe. Both guitar parts is hard enough, but the vocal and the bass parts are equally important - and the drums in many cases. Personally I can't see the point if you're not going to play those tunes as a band with the same line-up. And if you want to sng/play them as solo tunes yourself, you don't need that level of transcription anyway. You only need the chords. Neither guitar part on its own would make sense.

There are a couple of Bert and John tunes in the book, because they were easy enough to get, and make good duo tunes.

For the two Pentangle tunes I mention above, I have both guitar parts and the vocal. I also have Cruel Sister (vocal and one guitar, easy!), if anyone wants that. Again, I'm not doing the BJF out of any income here - it's not in Book 1, and not shortlisted for the proposed book 2. In fact, I consider I'm doing the BJF a favour by keeping Bert's music out there (preserving his memory is their main raison d'etre).
May I also draw your attention to Around The World in 80 Plays -
https://80plays.bertjanschfoundation.org/
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0+plays+jansch
Apparently Tommy Emmanuel is next on the list.

Last edited by JonPR; 12-16-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:40 AM

Default Big book

Book purchased... it’s a fantastic resource, thanks for all the hard work that went into producing it.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
The tab for Lord Franklin is available from Stefan Grosmman's Wednesday's free lesson with tab/music :
https://youtu.be/0n02qyrlBUk
Click on the link in the text to register, then you get an email with a link to download the tab.
I saw "Stefan Grossman" and didn't even check that youtube!
Nothing against Stefan (great player and teacher), but who needs him when you have John Renbourn showing you!

Still, I've just clicked now - downloaded the tab and subscribed to SG's mailing list. The tab looks good, but I'm going to do my own with the vocal on it.
Great old tune. Y'all know Dylan stole the melody for Bob Dylan's Dream?
Old 12-30-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Great old tune. Y'all know Dylan stole the melody for Bob Dylan's Dream?
When a tune's been around as long as that one I think It's OK to write your own words to it.

Those lyrics are from circa 1798, and they're not even the earliest words set to that tune.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
When a tune's been around as long as that one I think It's OK to write your own words to it.
I agree. A time-honoured tradition!

There's a story I think is true that when Dylan wrote Mr Tambourine Man, it was the first song of his that was wholly original. But when Donovan heard it (live in the UK, probably in 1964), he assumed it was just another old folk melody from somewhere. So he wrote his own words to it, and came up with this (played on UK TV in Feb 1965, before Dylan's recording was issued):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_kLqKZhxE
Old 12-31-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I agree. A time-honoured tradition!

There's a story I think is true that when Dylan wrote Mr Tambourine Man, it was the first song of his that was wholly original. But when Donovan heard it (live in the UK, probably in 1964), he assumed it was just another old folk melody from somewhere. So he wrote his own words to it, and came up with this (played on UK TV in Feb 1965, before Dylan's recording was issued):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr_kLqKZhxE
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Made me google around, & I found this in a post on the Steve Hoffman (famous audio engineer) forum:

Quote from D.A. Pennebaker, director of Don't Look Back:
Of course, when Donovan met him he was very excited and decided to play something for him. Dylan said he liked Catch The Wind, but Donovan said, I've written a new song I wanna play for you. So he played a song called My Darling Tangerine Eyes. And it was to the tune of Mr Tambourine Man! And Dylan was sitting there with this funny look on his face, listening to Mr Tambourine Man with these really weird words, trying to keep a straight face. Then Dylan says, "Well, you know, that tune ... I have to admit that I haven't written all the tunes I'm credited with but that happens to be one that I did write!" I'm sure Donovan never played the song again!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Made me google around, & I found this in a post on the Steve Hoffman (famous audio engineer) forum:

Quote from D.A. Pennebaker, director of Don't Look Back:
Of course, when Donovan met him he was very excited and decided to play something for him. Dylan said he liked Catch The Wind, but Donovan said, I've written a new song I wanna play for you. So he played a song called My Darling Tangerine Eyes. And it was to the tune of Mr Tambourine Man! And Dylan was sitting there with this funny look on his face, listening to Mr Tambourine Man with these really weird words, trying to keep a straight face. Then Dylan says, "Well, you know, that tune ... I have to admit that I haven't written all the tunes I'm credited with but that happens to be one that I did write!" I'm sure Donovan never played the song again!
Yes, hilarious! I suspect Donovan was hoping Dylan would congratulate him on his inventive re-wording of Tambourine Man, to what he assumed was an old folk melody.
It's not clear from that story exactly when that occasion was, but Dylan's song had probably been released by that point (I think Bringing It All Back Home came out in the UK before the 1965 tour), so it's hard to guess what Donovan was thinking.
If it had been an unrecorded Dylan song, as it was when Donovan picked up it, then you could understand why Donovan might have thought it a cute idea to play his song back to him - to show what a fan he was, to have learned it from a live performance and re-written it his own way (in what he assumed was a valid folk tradition). But once the album was out, the cat was out of the bag, as it were. What was he thinking?

But I also like what seemed like Dylan's genuine appreciation (also in Don't Look Back) of Donovan's own song, To Sing For You. He says "hey that's a good song, man!" quite emphatically, as if he really means it (and it is a nice song - and only issued as a B-side).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqAhF6i9H4&t=80s
Props to Donovan for not being intimidated by the master, and for Dylan being attentive and generous (at least at that time!).
(That's Derroll Adams grinning at 1:20, btw.)

Last edited by JonPR; 01-01-2020 at 06:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write