The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-13-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Where can I buy one Grover Tuner?

Hi

I am having a little problem with the G tuner on my 2006 Epiphone Masterbilt 500MNS. According to specs, the tuners are Grover® Sta-Tite™ 18:1 ratio. When I got the guitar the G tuner seemed loose and the tech just tightened it with a small screwdriver.

However a visual examination of the tuner (open back) shows the worm gear is partially worn down. It is sort of holding but I have to tune up or down slowly so the gear will catch. The other tuners seem fine so I just want to replace one.

Any thoughts or ideas? My luthier pal named a place but I forgot what it was.

Thanking you in advance.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-13-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Hi

I am having a little problem with the G tuner on my 2006 Epiphone Masterbilt 500MNS. According to specs, the tuners are Grover® Sta-Tite™ 18:1 ratio. When I got the guitar the G tuner seemed loose and the tech just tightened it with a small screwdriver.

However a visual examination of the tuner (open back) shows the worm gear is partially worn down. It is sort of holding but I have to tune up or down slowly so the gear will catch. The other tuners seem fine so I just want to replace one.

Any thoughts or ideas? My luthier pal named a place but I forgot what it was.

Thanking you in advance.
Do you have the standard Sta-tites or the Deluxe version? One has a stamped back plate and one has a cast back plate. You can get an entire set of the Deluxes at StewMac for around $50. Someone else had this question a while back and I mailed them a spare. I might have one depending on if yours are Deluxes (the only ones I will use) and if it's nickel or gold, and treble or bass side. (I see you're looking for the third string tuner...) I've had extras of all of them, but I'd have to check the shop. I think I've given most of my extras away.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Do you have the standard Sta-tites or the Deluxe version? One has a stamped back plate and one has a cast back plate. You can get an entire set of the Deluxes at StewMac for around $50. Someone else had this question a while back and I mailed them a spare. I might have one depending on if yours are Deluxes (the only ones I will use) and if it's nickel or gold, and treble or bass side. (I see you're looking for the third string tuner...) I've had extras of all of them, but I'd have to check the shop. I think I've given most of my extras away.
Sorry for being unfamiliar with this, but what is the difference between the stamped and the cast back plate? It's nickel and for the right side. I didn't know there were two types of the Sta-Tites.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2019, 01:48 AM

The better StaTites have an 18:1 ratio. FYI, these tuners have a lifetime warranty. I would contact Grover and have them send you one.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
The better StaTites have an 18:1 ratio. FYI, these tuners have a lifetime warranty. I would contact Grover and have them send you one.
I didn't know that about the warranty. I went to the website but I can't find if it is the standard warranty to the original owner ... which I'm not. It looks like I would have to mail the tuner to Grover with a check/money order to cover shipping and handling and then wait for it to be replaced or repaired.

I will contact Grover to find if the warranty extends to non-original owners.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry for being unfamiliar with this, but what is the difference between the stamped and the cast back plate? It's nickel and for the right side. I didn't know there were two types of the Sta-Tites.
You can take a look at the Deluxe Sta-tites (97-18 series) on StewMac's website:

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...BRAND%3aGROVER

I pulled up a couple of Reverb listings for your guitar and it looks like it came with the lower grade stamped baseplate tuners. I've seen the gears in those tuners fail but I've never seen one of the Deluxe tuners with a problem.

You more than likely have the Grover GRV97N tuners, stamped baseplate, nickle finish, butterbean metal tuning button:

https://reverb.com/item/30215581-gro...set-3-3-nickel

Take a look at the expired Reverb listing and pull up the rear headstock image:

https://reverb.com/item/27316652-200...guitar-natural

Last edited by Rudy4; 12-14-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:06 PM

Yes that's what it is, the lower-priced. The main screw is as pictured, black with a four-slot screw.

but, that Reverb description says the ratio is 14:1 but the Epiphone specs say it is 18:1 so that's what confusing me. I'm assuming Epiphone made a mistake or maybe it was upgraded somehow so the specs on the Epi web page are different than what is on my guitar.

But what I have does look more like the GRV97N tuners shown.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-14-2019, 08:06 PM

It's easy to work out the ratio on open gear tuners - just count the teeth on the gear.

18 teeth = 18:1

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-14-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Yes that's what it is, the lower-priced. The main screw is as pictured, black with a four-slot screw.

but, that Reverb description says the ratio is 14:1 but the Epiphone specs say it is 18:1 so that's what confusing me. I'm assuming Epiphone made a mistake or maybe it was upgraded somehow so the specs on the Epi web page are different than what is on my guitar.

But what I have does look more like the GRV97N tuners shown.
As Brucebubs said above, it's generally a safe bet for open back tuners to simply count the teeth in the brass driven gear, at least for Grovers.

Don't get too hung up about the ratio, both 14:1 and 18:1 ratios will tune just fine, the more important thing is how they are constructed. I'd advise you to simply replace your 14:1 tuner. I will look in my stash, but the only 14:1 tuners I remember having was a new set that I took off to upgrade a guitar to the Grover Deluxes. I sent that set to someone looking for tuners to replace ones that were bent on their guitar.

I've used a LOT of sets of the Grover Deluxes, I think they are hands-down the best value you can find in a traditional open back tuner.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:54 PM

The only exception I have ssen to the 'count the teeth' rule is on the pre-1938 Grovers. Most worm gears on guitar tuners are single helix, and advance one tooth per revolution. But the old Grovers had a double helix worm gear that advanced two teeth per revolution, and had a 12 tooth crown gear. That means the ratio is 12 divided by 2, or 6:1.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:07 AM

This morning I got an email from Grover. The rep said if I sent $7.50 they will replace the tuner.

So I will probably do that. I wonder how long that will take what with the holiday coming up.

It's good to know how quick and responsive the company is and that the guarantee is for the item and not just for the original owner. Good stuff.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 12-16-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
This morning I got an email from Grover. The rep said if I sent $7.50 they will replace the tuner.

So I will probably do that. I wonder how long that will take what with the holiday coming up.

It's good to know how quick and responsive the company is and that the guarantee is for the item and not just for the original owner. Good stuff.
I did this exact thing recently .
My experience is that you will see very efficient service . You may actually see your replacement before Christmas if you act now . You will almost certainly see the replacement before the new year if you act now .
Git 'er done .
Old 12-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Good deal. Do look at the other tuners for wear, as once the brass starts showing just a tiny bit of wear they often go rapidly. You can find the entire set new for around $40 shipped if you need them.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Good deal. Do look at the other tuners for wear, as once the brass starts showing just a tiny bit of wear they often go rapidly. You can find the entire set new for around $40 shipped if you need them.
Good idea but I think this is the only bad one. You can see that the worm gear has become stripped or mashed or something. The others seem OK.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair