The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Faster version works for me,very much the more natural feel I think, I would attack the treble parts of the chord less where the vocals are if it were me, not only leaving the lyrics clearer, but dig in again where there's no vocals.
This is kind of like being your own band, ride the instrumentation up when there's no singing,back it off for the delivery.

Hope that makes sense!
Great song and lyrics, very much in the country vein that I like to listen to!
I'll watch for more of your stuff!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Faster version works for me,very much the more natural feel I think, I would attack the treble parts of the chord less where the vocals are if it were me, not only leaving the lyrics clearer, but dig in again where there's no vocals.
This is kind of like being your own band, ride the instrumentation up when there's no singing,back it off for the delivery.

Hope that makes sense!
Great song and lyrics, very much in the country vein that I like to listen to!
I'll watch for more of your stuff!
Thanks!! Great tip too!! I'll give that a try!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM

I like the song as well. I like the slower version better. The faster one sounds rushed, but that could be because I heard the slower one first.

First off, I'm no songwriter, so take this all for what it's worth.

I agree with the excessive treble strings comment. It kind of gets in the way of the vocals in spots. Competes, as Stack says.

The other suggestion would be to move the bridge in front of the third verse. So the order would be:

Verse 1
Chorus
Verse 2
Chorus
Bridge
Verse 3
Ending chorus

The only real negative for me was the repetitive sound to the song. The trebly-ness is part of it and all three verses coming before the bridge adds to the effect as well. Even the bridge is very similar to the verses. But that's just my opinion on what I've heard. Like I said, I'm not writer.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
I like the song as well. I like the slower version better. The faster one sounds rushed, but that could be because I heard the slower one first.

First off, I'm no songwriter, so take this all for what it's worth.

I agree with the excessive treble strings comment. It kind of gets in the way of the vocals in spots. Competes, as Stack says.

The other suggestion would be to move the bridge in front of the third verse. So the order would be:

Verse 1
Chorus
Verse 2
Chorus
Bridge
Verse 3
Ending chorus

The only real negative for me was the repetitive sound to the song. The trebly-ness is part of it and all three verses coming before the bridge adds to the effect as well. Even the bridge is very similar to the verses. But that's just my opinion on what I've heard. Like I said, I'm not writer.
I may give that a try. When I put the bridge in I eliminated the third chorus but I couldn't make it flow so I put it back. It really doesn't need 3 choruses plus the final chorus. Thanks for the comments.

Part of the trebly sound is that I learned to play with the guitar tilted toward me on my left knee so my attack naturally hits more of the treble strings. I'm now playing with the guitar on my right knee and am working on holding the guitar more perpendicular to the floor so that my attack is more balanced on all the strings. Thanks again, always appreciate the input!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 05-15-2010, 05:01 AM

It seems to me a good sad song, well enough recorded to be an mp3.
reverb is a matter of personal taste.
I like it. It may be a good result the same also using less reverb.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Hard to say which I like better. After listening to the fast one, the slower one seems very slow (slower than I remembered it) but that might be just from hearing them right after each other. I think the faster one flows a little better, and do prefer it. It has a little more melody to my ears, somehow.

I agree, Rhancox gives some good advice about the bridge - adds a little variation sooner in the song, which is sometimes very good.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 05-15-2010, 01:33 PM

I think i like this guys voice more than anything .........gets great results from the mics as is suggested .Liked it .......and for writing your own stuff extra credits ...great

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell