The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM

To the original poster, have you tried playing with someone else that is better than you? That way, you can play the first chord, they make the change and you come in on the new chord whenever you can.

You should still practice on your own of course. But this way, you can be making (contributing to) the music and maybe you won't be as disillusioned.

The thing is, once you get good, you have to do this for the others who are just starting out. You know, Karma!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
wcap,

I was inspired by reading your timeline of development. I've been at it 2+ years and am doing fingerstyle. The pauses that plague some of my finger transitions are my nemesis. Same pauses all the time. (If only I could consider them "rests" and part of the intended timing!)

One of the hardest pieces of advice to follow is to play each piece as slowly as your least adept measure, so as to keep even timing. Can't say I abide by that no matter how wise it is. But plug away I do. And I do enjoy it tremendously.
For at least a year, maybe two, along the way I felt like I was simply never going to get any better. I was always going to be clumsy, and would never be able to play any of my pieces cleanly. But I kept playing, and there has been continual improvement. The most improvement, not surprisingly, comes when I play a LOT day after day (or most days of the week).

One thing that has really helped recently is starting to do some recording at home with a microphone and a Presonus Firebox hooked up to a laptop. It really raises the bar in a number of ways, and has forced me to really work on all the little nuances and things and not let them slide.

The matter of playing through slowly first is a tough one for me, because the first battle for me is to memorize the piece, and for that I have to play it through lots and lots of times, and I tend to play it faster than I'm able to do cleanly at this early stage. Then once I have it memorized I can work on playing it well. Maybe this is not the best way to proceed, but it seems to be what I always end up doing.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM

You have to enjoy the process, otherwise you are doomed. If your one and only goal is just to play X or Y, and the end product is all that matters, you will most likely fail. If practice is odious, then you won't make it. If however, you derive some joy from the process itself, it is much easier to stick to it.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrolem View Post
You have to enjoy the process, otherwise you are doomed. If your one and only goal is just to play X or Y, and the end product is all that matters, you will most likely fail. If practice is odious, then you won't make it. If however, you derive some joy from the process itself, it is much easier to stick to it.
And adding to this...

I've never viewed any of this as practice. It's just playing the guitar, which I never seem to have enough time for. Looked at this way, its not drudgery. It's an obsession!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM

Unfortunately for me it took me decades to let go of the end result and just enjoy making the sound. I now love to pick up a guitar, where in times past I would look upon it as a chore. Practicing was a means to an end -- something to endure.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Default enjoy it

I've played guitar for decades and although I can play some nice fingerstyle etc, I often just play a couple of chords slowly over and over. Granted, these are usually new chords in unusual configurations for me, but it's the same process. I listen to enjoy, play for clarity, listen, play, speed up until not so clear, then slow down until I get in the groove and enjoy what I am doing very much. At any level, busting through new material should have some satisfaction. Sometimes it's hard work, but then playing the guitar versus laying concrete block...not hard work to make those notes! One day you will throw down some chords while you are talking to someone or looking at something and realize you don't need to practice that particular chord anymore, just like you don't have to think about tying your shoes.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 PM

I had a student today dealing with this.

First off, I was never taught how to deal with this, most of us weren't. Eventually you will be able to change quickly, rest assured. Your brain will eventually figure out the best way to direct your fingers from one chord to the next and it will be taken care of. It's that simple.

if that's taking too long and you want results sooner rather than later, try this:

Play and chord and hold it, now envision the next chord. Then GO! Make the movement quick, like a jump. Even if it's sloppy at first.

Another thing to do is changing in time. Play a chord and hold for three beats and use beat four to move to the new chord:

strum-----------------------change ---- strum ----------------- change
1---------- 2 ---------3--------4----------1--------2--------3--------4
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM

I've been playing a year and felt like you at some point and here is what helped me. I don't know why but only certain fingers of certain chords give me trouble. As long as I can properly place my index finger for a C chord, the others seem to fall in place. As long as I can get my ring and pinky fingers down for a G the other fingers fall into place. So figure out if there are fingers you can get down first that will allow the others to quickly fall into place.

I've heard others disagree with what I said above, but it worked for me then, and a year later I can change among the basic open chords without the need for that method. So give it a try and see what happens.

Also, try changes that minimize finger movement. G to Cadd9. Or C to G7. Try songs like Wonderwall by Oasis, or Horse With No Name by America

Hang in there because eventually you will get it. If I can get it.....you can get it.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy31 View Post

Also, try changes that minimize finger movement. G to Cadd9. Or C to G7. Try songs like Wonderwall by Oasis, or Horse With No Name by America
Yes.

Or chords that are similar in their geometry....say Am and E.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:49 AM

Thanks amigos for all you replys, plenty for me to absorb and try out.
Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
. . .One of the hardest pieces of advice to follow is to play each piece as slowly as your least adept measure, so as to keep even timing. Can't say I abide by that no matter how wise it is. But plug away I do. And I do enjoy it tremendously.
I agree that it's a challenge
I try to engage / appreciate the beauty of the piece at the slower tempo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD