The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-19-2021, 11:39 AM

Default Torrified Spruce Fraying?

I am routing the binding on my latest build which has a Torrified Sitka Spruce top. First thing I noticed once I started building was the sweet smell. Almost like a cookie. After routing I noticed quite a bit of fraying on the end grain. It is stubborn and doesn't want to come off easily. I don't remember this with regular Spruce. The pictures are after I removed most of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210319_124306.jpg (39.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg 20210319_124310.jpg (24.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20210319_124226.jpg (40.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 20210319_131238.jpg (24.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg 20210319_131244.jpg (22.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:44 AM

I see that happen with normal spruce pretty regularly too though. A folded up piece of sand paper or a very sharp chisel will take it off. And yeah T-wood does smell like a cookie now that you mention it lol.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:30 PM

I would use a perfectly sharp cutter....and go slow....and see what happens.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:20 PM

As sharp as a cutter and a razor knife/blade. I have tried to do a scraper hook on a razor blade but have only had limited successful.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:43 PM

I just completed a build using a torrified spruce soundboard (from Alaska Specialty Woods) and did not experience any unusual behavior. I was using a new router bit when cutting the binding channel and that may account for the clean cuts. (I cut the rosette channels and soundhole over a month ago and don't recall any "fraying," but if there had been, it was minimal and would have been dealt with using folded sandpaper.)
Old 03-20-2021, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the responses. The fraying comes off with my sanding stick. This wood is definitely more "fibrous" than regular Sitka, I never had to do this before and the router bit is still relatively new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanding Stick.jpg (28.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 05:55 AM

Default Sanding The Big Cookie

There is definitely something different about Torrified Spruce. Sanding is strange, the fibers roll around, it is as if the Spruce is now soft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanding Torrified Spruce.jpg (32.4 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg Sanding Torrified Spruce 1.jpg (38.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 06:49 AM

A fresh cutter or hone the existing should help. I wonder if you'd get the same outcome with a climbing cut? (too late now)

Nice bench and router floater! That's also going to be a gorgeous guitar. Fine work!
Old 03-27-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
A fresh cutter or hone the existing should help. I wonder if you'd get the same outcome with a climbing cut? (too late now)

Nice bench and router floater! That's also going to be a gorgeous guitar. Fine work!
I wondered about the cutter, that one was used on 4 guitars. Also my binding required more scraping so I was wondering if the cutter was not cutting so deep anymore. I did do the 4 essential climb cuts.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 AM

Default Low Spots?

After sanding with 120 and 220, there are some spots that stick out. I am not sure if they are just a different shade or they are low spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sanding Artifacts.jpg (36.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 03-27-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
After sanding with 120 and 220, there are some spots that stick out. I am not sure if they are just a different shade or they are low spots.
You should be able to tell fairly easily if it is a low spot with a short straight edge, like a 6" ruler
Old 03-27-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalohunt View Post
You should be able to tell fairly easily if it is a low spot with a short straight edge, like a 6" ruler
It is way too shallow if it is a low spot to determine it that way. I don't want to keep sanding if it is not a shallow spot.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:14 PM

Victory Pete: I don't know if it's relevant, but the torrified top that I purchased from Alaska Specialty Woods is, overall, significantly darker than the top shown in your photos. As a result, when viewed front-on, my top shows a few lighter colored areas while your seems to show some darker ones. (My top does have very significant bear claw.)

On my top, it seems as if chatoyance due to grain runout may be accentuated by torrification, with lighter spots on the left side of the bookmatched soundboard complemented by darker spots on the right side. As expected, lighter areas and darker areas reverse roles when viewed from the neck end vs. the tail end of the instrument.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowesty View Post
Victory Pete: I don't know if it's relevant, but the torrified top that I purchased from Alaska Specialty Woods is, overall, significantly darker than the top shown in your photos. As a result, when viewed front-on, my top shows a few lighter colored areas while your seems to show some darker ones. (My top does have very significant bear claw.)

On my top, it seems as if chatoyance due to grain runout may be accentuated by torrification, with lighter spots on the left side of the bookmatched soundboard complemented by darker spots on the right side. As expected, lighter areas and darker areas reverse roles when viewed from the neck end vs. the tail end of the instrument.
Mine was quite a bit darker before I sanded, which only make sense. I imagine when they baked these the wood darkens on the surface. I was looking for Run Out on this top trying to find the center line, apparently there is none. My last build had some Bear Claw.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 AM

T-wood is definitely different stuff. I cannot remember who said it now but he was spot on when he said that T-wood feels like driftwood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair