The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-27-2020, 07:39 AM

Default Neck cracked

Hi,

One of my guitar has a neck cracked, probably due to a hit in the headstock.
I have experience in building guitars as a hobby but I have no idea how to fix this type of crack.

Pls. check pics here https://imgur.com/a/IFevBwe

How much can it cost to make it repaired from a pro ?
How can I repair by myself? i was thinking of injecting titebond glue with a syringe inside the crack and clamp it. Then I dont know ho fix the finish since there is a little bump and you can feel it with figners.
its syntetic finish.
Do you have any suggestion ?

thank you
Old 12-27-2020, 08:45 AM

Not too hard at all, typically a titebond glue repair, hardest part is getting the glue deep into the break

The expensive part would be any finish work

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-27-2020, 08:45 AM

$50-150 dollars. But that depends too. If it's a simple crack as it looks in the pics then it's an easy fix. But if I had it in my hands I would be able to know for sure. Just take it to a good luthier or guitar tech. It looks fairly simple. The more expensive cost included finish work and even in that case the finish work won't be too complicated.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:17 PM

Default titebond

I would use an artist brush and paint water into the crack, then inject Titebond into the crack and then clamp the hell out of it with a couple of clamps and leave it for a couple of days before taking the clamps off. If you wipe off the glue after it squeezes out there should be very little evidence that it was ever cracked.
That neck will break somewhere else before the Titebond gives away.

The water is to allow the Titebond to flow into the crack a lot father than by itself. It helps it wick deeper. Not a lot of water, though.
It will not weaken the adhesive power of the glue that much that would be detrimental.

Good luck.

Ron
Old 12-28-2020, 02:13 AM

Thank you everyone!
I have just one question, if i clamp the neck i noticed that on one side there is a bump between the two part of the crack (in the finish).
Thus once I have glued everything togheter I still have to get rid of this bump in the finish, If i use sandpaper I will damage the finish.
Any suggestion ?

thank you
Old 12-28-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMay View Post
I would use an artist brush and paint water into the crack, then inject Titebond into the crack and then clamp the hell out of it with a couple of clamps and leave it for a couple of days before taking the clamps off. If you wipe off the glue after it squeezes out there should be very little evidence that it was ever cracked.
That neck will break somewhere else before the Titebond gives away.

The water is to allow the Titebond to flow into the crack a lot father than by itself. It helps it wick deeper. Not a lot of water, though.
It will not weaken the adhesive power of the glue that much that would be detrimental.

Good luck.

Ron
Yep, the water will flow into the crack with capillary attraction. That will certainly help. With some glue in the crack and a proper clamping for a couple of days, it should be fine.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfl View Post
Thank you everyone!
I have just one question, if i clamp the neck i noticed that on one side there is a bump between the two part of the crack (in the finish).
Thus once I have glued everything togheter I still have to get rid of this bump in the finish, If i use sandpaper I will damage the finish.
Any suggestion ?

thank you
Clamp the sides as well as the top and bottom.
It should come together nicely.

Do some dry runs with the clamps to get a method of clamping that will do the job best before you add the glue.

Ron
Old 03-16-2021, 08:06 PM

Post some pictures after it's done .
Old 03-17-2021, 10:27 AM

Titebond can be diluted to 10% and retain it's strength. I used to do the inject water thing but then found that diluted Titebond works just as well. If you get water in there first it's possible that the wood could swell and not allow a perfect joint. That's at least the theory that I was taught years ago. Diluted TB gets in there fast so you can clamp up right away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair