The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Default Pickup in a 46 Martin D28

Hi, first day on the forum here,

I've decided to put a pickup in my 46 D28 and just starting to do some research. First off, I know I'm going to take some heat from some of you but I also take a lot of heat from sound guys and fellow musicians for using a mic. I currently use a shure SM 81 and love the sound and tone I get out of it. Wondering if I can come close to that with the LR Baggs Anthem system since it features mic and pickup combo capabilities. Has anyone tried this system before? Anyone know of a better one that can be mounted internally? Obviously I won't cutting holes in the sides!
Thanks in advance!
Scott
Old 05-02-2012, 02:13 PM

If it was mine, I'd go with a non-intrusive SBT like a McIntyre Feather combined with a no-drill vintage jack. Or, I'd just buy another modern guitar with the pickup built in and leave the '46 alone.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46D28 View Post
Hi, first day on the forum here,

I've decided to put a pickup in my 46 D28 and just starting to do some research. First off, I know I'm going to take some heat from some of you but I also take a lot of heat from sound guys and fellow musicians for using a mic. I currently use a shure SM 81 and love the sound and tone I get out of it. Wondering if I can come close to that with the LR Baggs Anthem system since it features mic and pickup combo capabilities. Has anyone tried this system before? Anyone know of a better one that can be mounted internally? Obviously I won't cutting holes in the sides!
Thanks in advance!
Scott
I strongly recommend you head over the UMGF Vintage Corner forum:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...ge-Corner.html

That is where the dealers and techs who work on vintage Martins hang out. You can check with both via posting a thread or private email about which pickups work best and which can be installed with little/no modifications, so your guitar stays un-modded.

I assume you know that your guitar, if it is a '46 D-28 in reasonably original condition, is worth over $10,000, so even if you don't give a hoot about what anyone else says (good for you, btw), you can do research and ensure you are fully-informed about the options you have to amplify that valuable, collectible guitar.

Best of luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM

I would suggest a soundhole pickup with the cable running out the sound hole. Zero modification.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the link and advice WordMan I'll do that.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link and advice WordMan I'll do that.
I went ahead and started a thread here: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...p-in-a-46-D-28 if you aren't already signed up for the UMGF sometimes it can take a few days, so getting a thread started to link the two seemed like a reasonable idea. Hope it helps - they are pretty passionate about great old guitars so I figured someone would have a tip or two...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Wow thanks again Wordman!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Never played the Anthem before but, Fishman has a combo in a soundhole/mic form. It's a 'Rare Earth Blend'.

I have read, these combo's are prone to feedback, I'd be checking this out first. Good luck

Love your collection. Oh, welcome to AGF
Old 05-02-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks again Wordman!
Sure! No prob - don't be surprised if some folks just draw a line: "you shouldn't be modifying a '46 D-28, period" - that is how many/most dealer and high-end luthiers feel. My feeling is that you are going to do what you want, so however you can educate yourself so you can make an informed choice, you should do that.

It would be great to hear that you can get your need for amplification met without modifying the guitar - per Cheetotoe's post, there are soundhole drop-in's and other non-invasive options...

Again, best of luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM

You'll be in good company. That's Dan Tyminski with his '46 D28 plugged in...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks KY Dave for the support! I'm a huge Tyminski fan. Almost started this thread out asking if anyone knows what pickup he uses...
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM

WordMan

Oh yeah, taking some heat over there already!!!

I don't care. I'm not one of those guys with a vintage D28 that keeps it in a showcase. I play it and drive it hard. When I do, the vintage tone flows and causes people to take note. That's the reason I like to use it still. I've learned to make it talk!

The guitar has had plenty of work over the years. New bridgeplate, bridge and a couple hairline cracks fixed. I was told by Del Langjans from Langjans Guitars that he could mount a LR Bagg element with one small screw hole internally. If that did the trick I would do it in a heart beat!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:40 PM

I've got a '53 00-18, clearly not as old and as valuable as yours but I took some heat when I put a pickup in it and also when I added a strap button and switched out the original tuners (that just didn't do the job for me). It's my main gigging guitar and I love the way it plays and sounds. I put the Baggs M1-Active in and love the sound. I'm sure any of the Baggs pickups will do a wonderful job for you. Here's what mine looks like in action, snark tuner on headstock, plugs in through vintage jack. In all honesty, my 00-21NY does not have a strap button or a pickup, but that's more because I only play it here and at the studio. Do what you need to do...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I don't care. I'm not one of those guys with a vintage D28 that keeps it in a showcase. I play it and drive it hard. When I do, the vintage tone flows and causes people to take note. That's the reason I like to use it still. I've learned to make it talk!

Good for you man! The one thing I've found here is that some forget to "play" these beautiful priceless guitars.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 PM

I would do a Schertler dyn-g stuck to the outside of the bridge or one of the external microphones that attach to the guitar like the K&K meridian. If you do decide to mount a pickup internally, I'd do as little modification as possible... for example, I would not use one that I could not use the Vintage Jack with.
that's me on guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
d28, martin, pickup, vintage