The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-05-2015, 08:36 PM

Default Easiest way to make a rosette for an existing slot?

I stripped the finish off a new washburn and after 4 days its finally all off, though the stripper did a number on the rosette and it all lifted out so i have a fresh slot now. Its probably like 1/4'' wide ring (just guessing).
Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM

Depends what you want as a rosette. What do you want as a design/look?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:14 AM

Im going to use solid mahogany or ceder, clean look. Is it easier to cut strips and bend them in the slot, glue and clamp or try and cut it round? I dont have a fancy drimel rosette sound hole jig. I dont even have a band saw at my house :-(

Last edited by GreenWoodworker; 01-06-2015 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2015, 07:14 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWoodworker View Post
Im going to use solid mahogany or ceder, clean look. Is it easier to cut strips and bend them in the slot, glue and clamp or try and cut it round? I dont have a fancy drimel rosette sound hole jig. I dont even have a band saw at my house :-(
Sawdust and glue? If you buy binding/perfling strips they will go in with no snaps.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
My first stab at doing a rosette, used an exacto blade to cut it out.

Ringing it with black perfling.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 AM

You can easily make a circle cutter with not much fuss if you have basic woodworking skills. You can use this to cut a solid rosette then add purfling. Then if necessary make a plug out of scrap that fits the existing hole, which locates the hole center. Then you can adjust the existing rosette channel with your circle cutter and a sharp chisel.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Awesome thanks for the ideas! Im making a jig for my Harbor Freight drimel right now :-) . Just shaved down the plastic trim ring that comes on it and then used it as a screw clamp thru a thin piece of wood, clamps really well i was surprised.

Anywhy dumb question; how do you hold down the rosette when gluing it in the guitar? Tape? Little spring clamps? Or just set it in there? I would think it would lift with glue and dont want a mess on my hands when its all wet and im trying to figure it out haha
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the ideas! Im making a jig for my Harbor Freight drimel right now :-) . Just shaved down the plastic trim ring that comes on it and then used it as a screw clamp thru a thin piece of wood, clamps really well i was surprised.

Anywhy dumb question; how do you hold down the rosette when gluing it in the guitar? Tape? Little spring clamps? Or just set it in there? I would think it would lift with glue and dont want a mess on my hands when its all wet and im trying to figure it out haha
You can use small spring clamps though I'd make a caul out of plexi so that the pressure is distributed evenly.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Anywhy dumb question; how do you hold down the rosette when gluing it in the guitar?
Remember, when (if) you come to do your full build, you glue the rosette in before you cut out the soundhole aperture.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Remember, when (if) you come to do your full build, you glue the rosette in before you cut out the soundhole aperture.
Haha yea, you'd be screwed, ive thought of that.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Haha yea, you'd be screwed, ive thought of that.
not really. you just need to make a plug with which to rotate your router/dremel/etc. with. sure it's not the ideal, but it will work if you forget -and many people forget this step.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:48 PM

Go to Youtube and see how some people do their rosettes. Some end up getting their hands dirty, well more like full of glue but it all works out in the end.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 PM

It came out good. All glued in and shaved flush with top. 6 little spring clamp and 6 cut down clothes pins, the rosette was about twice as thick so it it clamped down just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair