The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Got Bugs? ... (on your front bumper)

We just returned from a two week road trip. We drove from Ohio to VA and the front of our car was covered with severe bug splatter so I stopped at O’Reilly’s Auto Parts store and asked the salesman if they had anything I could use to remove the bugs from the front of our car. He said to use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Another customer in the store overheard our conversation and he said, “No, you want Lucas Slick Mist”. I read the label and I said it was wax and I want to remove bugs, not wax my car. He said, “trust me” this will work better.

After that customer left the store, the salesman said you can trust his advice, he does the detail work on the VA State Highway Patrol cars and knows what he’s talking about.

The next morning our car was covered with dew. I followed the guys instructions by spraying a light mist on the bugs and then we went to breakfast. After breakfast I took a wash rag and some water and to my surprise, the bugs wiped right off, with absolutely no scrubbing. I sprayed another light mist on the entire front end and dried it with a towel.

We drove another 3000 miles to FL and back home to Ohio and there are no bugs on the front of our car. We hit a couple of rainstorms along the way and a light rain on the final day which removed the couple of bugs that were there.

The detail guy said to use it on my windows and said that it works better than Rain-X and he was right. We barely ran our wipers and the water just beaded up. It comes in a dark blue spray bottle and costs $7.50 at Walmart. This stuff is amazing and I highly recommend it.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Tim. I’ve been looking for a product for my car windows that was better than rain-x. Bonus on the bugs!

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-19-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this tip Tim.

I live in Florida, and for those who have never experienced our wonderful "Love Bug" season, you cannot imagine how bad they can mess up the paint on the front of a car that is not well waxed.

I have used the Turtle Wax stuff, and it works OK on fairly fresh bug guts, but it's no match for the finely aged premium bug splatter. Definitely going to check this out!
Old 10-19-2020, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

**THIS** is why I check in to "Open Mic" frequently!

I have the Turtle Wax stuff. It takes the bugs off, but it takes the wax off too. I only use it when absolutely necessary.

I'll try this other stuff soon.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:42 PM

We learned from our RV forum that when you wash your car or motorhome, they wipe right off with a dampened dryer sheet. Been doing it for years. The RV industry has great tips!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 10-19-2020, 10:03 PM

Sold! I am going to spray it all over my guitar and get the bugs out of my playing.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:18 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the tip, Tim. I just ordered a bottle, along with some Rapid Remover (adhesive remover, meant for removing vehicle wraps) for zapping pine sap.

Along the lines of working smarter, not harder, I highly recommend Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus for getting the brake dust off of alloys. Smells awful, but does most of the heavy lifting for you.

Austin
Old 10-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
We just returned from a two week road trip. We drove from Ohio to VA and the front of our car was covered with severe bug splatter...
So that's what happened to all of our bugs....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-21-2020, 01:42 PM
Musical minimalist

Wondered why you guys had been "silent" the last couple weeks, but now I remember Mary telling me you were going to be gone.

Up here in MI, we just make sure our bugs are well frozen by this time of year

Keep that Insight clean!!!

Old 10-21-2020, 04:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

Keep that Insight clean!!!
We are trying. BTW, we got 60 MPG on one tank and the rest were in the mid 50’s. That little bugger was screaming up some of those mountains 🤪
Old 10-25-2020, 08:18 PM

I have used the Lucas stuff for years, it works fantastic!

Another REALLY REALLY great product is Maxima SC1. It is designed to be applied on dirt bike plastice to keep the mud from sticking. It works! I use it to keep my carbon road bicycle and motorcycles clean. DO NOT spray it on anything that you want to put a sticker on though, as they will never stick.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
We learned from our RV forum that when you wash your car or motorhome, they wipe right off with a dampened dryer sheet. Been doing it for years. The RV industry has great tips!
I've been doing this for years. The dryer sheets work great. They are also good for cleaning the soap scum off the inside of your shower. Try it.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
I have used the Lucas stuff for years, it works fantastic!

Another REALLY REALLY great product is Maxima SC1. It is designed to be applied on dirt bike plastice to keep the mud from sticking. It works! I use it to keep my carbon road bicycle and motorcycles clean. DO NOT spray it on anything that you want to put a sticker on though, as they will never stick.
Hi Billy,
Thanks for the tip on the Maxima product. Wish I would had known that many years ago since I raced dirtbikes for 17 years in a previous life. That product would have come in VERY handy. I tried everything from ArmorAll to WD-40 and nothing worked to keep caked mud from accumulating.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I've been doing this for years. The dryer sheets work great. They are also good for cleaning the soap scum off the inside of your shower. Try it.
Speaking of shower soap scum, try "Wet And Forget". Spray it on after a shower and wait 24 HOURS, then it wipes right off during your next shower. Its pretty amazing. We have hard well water and tried all the usual products like CLR, Whip-It, Iron Out, Bleach, OxyClean, etc... and the Wet n Forget tops them all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic