The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2020, 01:29 PM

Default Just finished watching Sons of Anarchy.

I just finished watching the Sons of Anarchy series on Netflix. No spoilers. It's a great show! I held off watching it because I didn't think I'd like a show about a biker gang but I was wrong. Great actors, great characters, great story.

It did have a little too much violence for me that last season but still a great show with an ending that you can't let go.

Thumbs up or down?

What's next that I should watch?
Old 10-18-2020, 01:32 PM

Great show with superb characters and acting. There was a spin-off series called the Mayans but I think it flopped.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up on Sons of Anarchy, but I had problems with Jax Teller's character...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-18-2020, 02:03 PM

Default Just finished watching Sons of Anarchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post

He was a very complicated character that wasn’t either a good or bad guy. He was compassionate, yet extremely ruthless and cruel at times. A product of his surroundings in an eternal struggle of trying to find out what’s right.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I liked Jax until the last season. The actor was great but the character diminished, IMO.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Those were the cleanest 1 percenters I've ever seen.

Sparkly!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
He was a very complicated character that wasn’t either a good or bad guy. He was compassionate, yet extremely ruthless and cruel at times. A product of his surroundings in an eternal struggle of trying to find out what’s right.
That may be true, but my issues were different. His identity as projected by the other characters just didn't jive with the way I saw him. They seemed to put him up on a mini pedestal as a great dad, tough guy, decision maker and club leader but I had trouble seeing him as such. I mean, his mother seemed to do all of his non-club tasks for him - what grownup does that? I saw him more as a SoCal surfer dude living in his mother's basement based on his looks and the way he carried himself and handled responsibility...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-18-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I just finished watching the Sons of Anarchy series on Netflix. No spoilers. It's a great show! I held off watching it because I didn't think I'd like a show about a biker gang but I was wrong. Great actors, great characters, great story.

It did have a little too much violence for me that last season but still a great show with an ending that you can't let go.

Thumbs up or down?

What's next that I should watch?
I liked it a lot even though the amount violence seemed not only a bit gratuitous at times and probably more in a season then even most 1% Bike gangs encounter in a decade. But fortunately I watch for entertainment so am not too critical on dramatic license ........

The only reason I can say this with a limited amount of knowledge is having both tended bar at a Biker Tavern (in my younger days age 21-22) and where for some reason the VP of the Portland Ore. Gypsy Jokers, decided he liked me and took mercy on me enough to designate me as hands off in terms of his club giving me a hard time while tending bar . And he even invited me to several club parties as a friend of the VP so I enjoyed a "leave be" status . I think maybe he may have liked that I did not try to act tuff or impress them and was simply myself.

He even told me about one money making scheme ( legal if of questionable ethics) Where the club would use club funds to buy a house (they had one member with a real estate license) , usually slightly below market value in a fairly low income neighborhood that was maybe just starting to trend up .
They would move in a few bachelor members with construction trade skills.
They would start to fix up the interior , yet all the while have numerous bikes and members hanging around outside working on bikes, playing music, and drinking etc. . Not always but often one or more of the adjacent houses would come up for sale usually below market, and they would then purchase those.
Once they had three or four houses they would finish fixing them up inside and out, then vacate members (often to a new purchase elsewhere) and then put the now nicely remodeled houses back on the market for a nice price mark up. As the VP said "we can't help it if peoples fear leads them to sell "

As for I suggestions have you watched Longmire ? Or Jack Ryan on Amazon ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-18-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
That may be true, but my issues were different. His identity as projected by the other characters just didn't jive with the way I saw him. They seemed to put him up on a mini pedestal as a great dad, tough guy, decision maker and club leader but I had trouble seeing him as such. I mean, his mother seemed to do all of his non-club tasks for him - what grownup does that? I saw him more as a SoCal surfer dude living in his mother's basement based on his looks and the way he carried himself and handled responsibility...

He was also heavily manipulated by his mom and Clay.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
He was also heavily manipulated by his mom and Clay.
Ya his moms character was a real piece of work
Interesting in real life she is the wife of the show producer Kirt Sutter who played the Otto character ( the one continually in prison ) so the cast smacked of the "family business" a bit like SAMCRO

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-18-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ya his moms character was a real piece of work
Interesting in real life she is the wife of the show producer Kirt Sutter who played the Otto character ( the one continually in prison ) so the cast smacked of the "family business" a bit like SAMCRO

To me she’ll always be Peggy Bundy. [emoji23]
Old 10-18-2020, 06:06 PM

Loved the show.
started watching right after purchasing a Harley
Old 10-18-2020, 07:10 PM

Liked the show but drug on way to far. IMO the last few episodes were ho-hum,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 10-19-2020, 06:44 AM

I really liked the show but I have a problem with shows like it where bad things happen that are too close to reality. My mind takes that line of thinking and then creates horrible scenarios that manifest as nightmares. Shows where there is violence due to situations that aren't really realistic don't give me nightmares. (typical horror / slasher movies) It's the ones where I can see and understand the circumstances that would lead someone to act out violently that get me.

Weird...
Old 10-19-2020, 06:53 AM

Thumbs down from me. Watched about 4 episodes and gave it up. Just not my kind of show.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic