The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-15-2020, 10:25 PM

Default Memories of "Il Postino" - original arrangement

https://youtu.be/rzNfcYeU7Sw

Here is my medley arrangement of several themes from the beautiful 1994 movie "Il Postino," featuring the unlikely friendship developed between a hapless, pure-hearted postman and the great Chilean poet Pablo Neruda. Particularly, I combined the movie's main theme with the theme of Beatrice, our hero's love interest. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-17-2020, 06:50 AM

Very nice thank you!
Old 10-18-2020, 11:19 AM

Very nicely done, Daniel! I like the way it begins and ends with the same music. Very delicate phrasing, too.

I hope Daniel doesn’t mind, but I’d like to recommend that everyone have a look at another video on his YouTube account.

This is the real thing folks! He’s playing the music of Manuel Serrapí, known as “Niño Ricardo,” the man who Paco de Lucía learned from when he was a child. Today, extremely few flamenco guitarists play the music of Niño Ricardo, and Daniel does it very well.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:44 PM

Fantastic!
You captured the essential ethos.
Il Postino is my favourite movie sound track.
Many years ago I listened to it non stop on a drive from Frankfurt to Tuscany and all through
my stay in a villa in Tuscany.
Thank you for the memory!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbgit View Post
Very nice thank you!
Thank you very much for watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Very nicely done, Daniel! I like the way it begins and ends with the same music. Very delicate phrasing, too.

I hope Daniel doesn’t mind, but I’d like to recommend that everyone have a look at another video on his YouTube account.

This is the real thing folks! He’s playing the music of Manuel Serrapí, known as “Niño Ricardo,” the man who Paco de Lucía learned from when he was a child. Today, extremely few flamenco guitarists play the music of Niño Ricardo, and Daniel does it very well.
I appreciate the kind words! I'm glad you liked the symmetrical nature of the arrangement, that was intentional. As far as the solaces, thank you for sharing the link to that. One of my instructors was "El Payo" Humberto, a Dutch flamenco guitarist who studied with Niño Ricardo. I learned this piece by rote from him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
Fantastic!
You captured the essential ethos.
Il Postino is my favourite movie sound track.
Many years ago I listened to it non stop on a drive from Frankfurt to Tuscany and all through
my stay in a villa in Tuscany.
Thank you for the memory!
Thank you! It is one of my favorite movies of all time, honestly, it is such a beautiful and touching film; the music is a huge part of that. So glad my rendition brought back some nice memories.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVolovets View Post
As far as the solaces, thank you for sharing the link to that. One of my instructors was "El Payo" Humberto, a Dutch flamenco guitarist who studied with Niño Ricardo. I learned this piece by rote from him!
That first falseta you play comes from here. Notice the different aire. I play it in a more relaxed manner, much as you do, because Ricardo was just superhuman like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielVolovets View Post
...Beatrice, our hero's love interest.
Nearly every man's love interest at the time. I noticed the other day that she's also in "Día de la bestia," if you've seen that, as the psychic's blond girlfriend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell