The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2020, 04:52 AM

Default Humidity surprise

My case for my Silver Sky came in yesterday. Great quality case for sure.

Put my guitar in it only to realize a short while later that the humidity in the new case was 70% humidity and climbing. Even this morning the humidity in the case is continuing climb...lol...

Kinda surprised me. Keeping the guitar out of it until I see it normalize a bit.

Is this moisture from the manufacturing process or something? Moisture in the glues etc? Is this typical? Struck me odd.

Gotta love SensorPush.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-15-2020, 01:49 PM

It's possible the guitar arrived with a high humidity content but it should actually be going down if the surrounding environment's humidity is down. What's the humidity level in the room?

I'd leave the case open to acclimate.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
It's possible the guitar arrived with a high humidity content but it should actually be going down if the surrounding environment's humidity is down. What's the humidity level in the room?

I'd leave the case open to acclimate.
Hey Dru,

To be clear, I’ve had the guitar for many weeks. I only got the case yesterday after special ordering it. Prior to receiving the new case the Sky was sitting humidity controlled in another case at about 48%.

My guitar room is heavily controlled to stay in the 45 - 48% range this time of year. It’s 47 right now for instance.

I did exactly what you said about an hour ago. Left the new case empty on the floor open. Even as of an hour ago it was still increasing the humidity in the empty closed case without humidipaks. Lots of moisture in there somewhere. It was deep into the 70s.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-15-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Hey Dru,

To be clear, I’ve had the guitar for many weeks. I only got the case yesterday after special ordering it. Prior to receiving the new case the Sky was sitting humidity controlled in another case at about 48%.

My guitar room is heavily controlled to stay in the 45 - 48% range this time of year. It’s 47 right now for instance.

I did exactly what you said about an hour ago. Left the new case empty on the floor open. Even as of an hour ago it was still increasing the humidity in the empty closed case without humidipaks. Lots of moisture in there somewhere. It was deep into the 70s.
Just leave it open, maybe with a fan on it, for a couple of days.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Do you have a dehumidifier? Put the open case in the proximity and monitor until the RH decreases.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Not that I’m in a rush, but that’s not a bad idea.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-15-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Do you have a dehumidifier? Put the open case in the proximity and monitor until the RH decreases.
There is a dehumidifier in my basement regulating the humidity to 45 - 48%, which is where my music room is. This is where I have the case sitting open right now.

I was more just curious if others have seen this kind of high humidity with a new case. It just took me by surprise a little bit...The benefits of actively monitoring humidity: One notices these things ;-0

I did not see this behaviour with any of my other cases, so I guess this is why I wasn’t expecting it.
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars