The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-17-2020, 08:00 AM

from a guy with 2 Les Pauls, 2 SGs, 2 Strats and a Telecaster, I think I got the basis covered to give you a pretty well informed position.

Telecasters are very power guitars, they do just about everything well. There's some magic going on with that chrome plate the bridge pickup sits inside.

To get rid of the neck dive, use a brushed leather or suede strap. Those "seat belt" straps slide around too much for me, I never use them. Ditched em a long time ago.

The biggest bang for the buck with a strat is a good sounding front pickup. Also the in between positions are useful.

Nothing sounds like a strat with the second and third pickups lit (position 4). and I happen to like the middle only pickup position.

The only thing that can be hard to control on a strat is the bridge pickup when there is no tone control available to back off the spike in the ear highs.

Another thing you may have to get used to is the body bevel on the top back edge. It tends to lean back on ya. If you wear it up high enough though it wont matter.

Strats and Tele's don't like "lots" of gain, so if you're a high gain kind of guy, these are not the wheelhouse setups for that kind of playing IMHO.

Les Pauls/SGs (w/Humbuckers) will change the game entirely for your signal chain.

You'll need to make some minor tweaks to the tone stack on your amp, mostly in the top end of the EQ, and some of the Midrange. Once you get used to it, it's only a momentary adjustment.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:29 PM

Default !

I have lots of electrics in lots of styles, and it's not an issue switching around. And believe me, if I can do it without a problem, anyone can. I believe that if you overthink it and make it a big deal of it in your own head, then it starts to become something bigger than it really is. Every time you pick up a different guitar, it's an opportunity to make different music. It would be hard for me to pick favorite model, but I guess I'm a Fender guy when you get down to it. But you'll still have to pry my Gibsons out of my cold, dead hands!
Old 08-25-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I have lots of electrics in lots of styles, and it's not an issue switching around. And believe me, if I can do it without a problem, anyone can. I believe that if you overthink it and make it a big deal of it in your own head, then it starts to become something bigger than it really is. Every time you pick up a different guitar, it's an opportunity to make different music. It would be hard for me to pick favorite model, but I guess I'm a Fender guy when you get down to it. But you'll still have to pry my Gibsons out of my cold, dead hands!
I agree with this, as like you, I have quite a few guitars. You've just got to let go a bit and spend some time with each instrument.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:49 PM

Between the different body styles and scale lengths, it makes sense that switching between an LP and a strat would be tricky.

I would just split the difference with a PRS...

Last edited by guitararmy; 08-25-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 03:51 PM

To the OP, give the tele a little more time. The longer scale sticks the neck out there a little longer. The tele is simple but very versatile and it can produce sounds that no other guitar can. A very different flavor from the LP and it's good to have both.

As for the strat, a lot of seasoned players crank the pickups way down to almost flush with the pickguard, especially the middle pickup, which solves that problem. As for the volume knob, it hasn't been a problem for me, I keep mine dimed because I use a volume pedal. The strat also does things that no other guitar can touch. That position 2 and 4 quack is iconic. And once you get used the the neck pickup sound, you recognize it in hundreds of popular songs from the last few decades.

So hang onto your LP but give the Fenders a chance.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Agreed, this pretty much covers it.

While not the Les Paul / Tele’ combo that you mentioned in your post, I have their younger siblings, the SG and Strat combo and switch between the two on a daily basis.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:08 PM

Wow, that is a serious collection of Strats and SGs. You certainly know what you like!
Old 09-02-2020, 03:55 AM

Another thing not yet mentioned but seems to be an issue with OP and strat controls and arm. Having been a epi LP, es335 then strat followed by tele (both strat and tele are heavily modded mia peaveys due to the neck and nut width). Btw, switching between Gibson and Fender scale was not much of an issue. And I prefer the longer scale, the 1 3/4" nut, two piece maple, micro tilt and neck profile of mia Predator and Raptor (all other electric gits sold off). Rambling...

The point is...once I got my right hand technique dialed-in, i.e., learned to pick lightly and with economy of movement I no longer have any issues with where nor how close to the bridge nor pu's nor knobs getting in the way. The only issue is where attacking the strings gives up the tone desired. However the pursuit of learning to pick/strum/finger pick with economy and with a light touch (or not) has taken years. So perhaps focusing on light attack for a bit of time will help resolve some of your right hand issues. Just know for moi, it has been a long meandering progression that if I wish I'd focused on earlier.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 09-02-2020 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:08 PM

Love those SGs!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Agreed, this pretty much covers it.

While not the Les Paul / Tele’ combo that you mentioned in your post, I have their younger siblings, the SG and Strat combo and switch between the two on a daily basis.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:01 AM

My fretting hand HATES how the Les Paul hangs on the strap. I might be looking at a PRS 594 somewhere down the road.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:01 AM

Only thing to do is play it more, if I had to sell all my guitars except one the strat would be the only one left, I don’t have any difficulty switching, but my Gibson’s just don’t balance or put out tone like the fender, the les Paul is far easier to play when bending a lot though with the lighter string tension, but the tone just doesn’t compute as a Gilmore, SRV fan...
Old 09-12-2020, 04:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob7980 View Post
Only thing to do is play it more, if I had to sell all my guitars except one the strat would be the only one left, I don’t have any difficulty switching, but my Gibson’s just don’t balance or put out tone like the fender, the les Paul is far easier to play when bending a lot though with the lighter string tension, but the tone just doesn’t compute as a Gilmore, SRV fan...
The solos on Another Brick in the Wall Pt.II and A Great Day for Freedom were played on a '55 Les Paul with P-90s, and his parts on "On and Island" and "This Heaven" were on a '54 with P-90s and Bigsby.

All guitars put out tone but some guitars put out a different tone. Whatever guitar type you started on will usually be more natural to you, at least until you put in the hours to make the other type comfortable. It is perfectly fine to have a home base, even after putting in the hours. I've got a Les Paul-shaped space under my rib cage after playing one for forty-three years and I most naturally get my sounds with two humbuckers, four knobs, and a switch! Even my favorite studio guitar, an ES-335, isn't as physically comfortable as a Les Paul. The Tele hangs pretty well, though, and I am able to get some great sounds out of it. Notice that I basically wear it like my LP.

After over ten years with the ES-335 I figure you need to be a pretty tall fellow for it to be comfortable standing up! Think Alvin Lee. But it is the most comfortable to play (sitting down) and flexible guitar I have ever played. It is the guitar I have to push myself away from, the one that calls to me, the home base.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-15-2020, 12:02 PM

After 30 years of playing my Telecaster, I finally bust out and bought a Vintage Les Paul Goldie.

I could not play the **** thing. WTF!

My thumb was al over the place and I was deeply frustrated - substitute your own words for that.

I just ignored it for a while. 6 months at least.

But then I replaced the bridge with a no-notch Gotoh. Put a bone nut on it which I filed myself...
Edit; and did fret levelling job
I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Last edited by Takzula; 09-15-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:48 PM

Gibsons will never be as good as Fenders, all because of that lousy bridge.
As long as you can't change the vertical height of those saddles, Gibsons will never ever be in tune.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

And the Telecaster Mafia has arrived!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars