The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-06-2020, 08:27 PM

Default NGD: 2017 Doerr Solace Select / Adi-BRW

Over the past year, I have slowly been moving away from OM guitars in search of darker trebles and percussive bass. By percussive I mean the note has a sharp, crisp attack and long sustain. My Halland (16 inch) and Greenfield G4 (17 inch) are my references for bass performance. Even with nails and no pick, the note definition and growl add a very pleasant dimension to fingerstyle arrangements that I play.

While searching for larger guitars, I came across this Doerr Solace at Guitar Gallery. After some research I found the 2017 build thread here on AGF and enough sound samples to convince me that this guitar had potential. After a few emails with Robin, I arranged a trial to find out for sure. The instrument has been available since 2017 and has not had any previous owners.

I know that a guitar’s visual appeal should not influence our assessment of its tone. The problem is that it is impossible to ignore the artistic beauty of this instrument. Created for a show in Santa Barbara CA, it embodies top tier woods and design details that can keep your attention for hours. The light brown Brazilian rosewood is perfectly quarter sawn with a broad swath of sap wood. I did not know such wood still existed. It is breath-taking. The plantilla shape has broad bouts and a narrow waist that is both sensuous and ergonomically comfortable.* Mr. Doerr beveled the ebony binding all the way around the guitar, creating a unique detail that adds to the overall visual appeal. I showed this in the pictures below. Mitered “micro” purfling is everywhere. Fretboard, bridge, headstock, bindings. This guitar is a study in craftsmanship.

There are a few other unique items in the construction. The headstock has a groove in the back side which sets off the mini Gotoh 510’s. The heel of the neck is cut almost to the body. There are vertical back braces either side of the centerline. I haven’t looked inside yet, but the build thread I mentioned previously said the luthier braced the soundboard with a lattice pattern. Sides contain three thin layers. Outside, inside and a middle cross grain layer for stability. The instrument is lightly built for a guitar this size. It weighs in at about 4.5 lbs. For comparison, my Halland is 6 lbs for basically the same dimensions.

After tuning her up, I played for about an hour. It is VERY stiff. An Adi spruce top will always take some playing in. This guitar has sat in a case for three years. It will take patience to open her up. I’m looking forward to the task. This tightness shows up in lower volume and fewer overtones that I would expect from a guitar with this size and with lattice bracing. Time will tell. The clear and articulate trebles give me a hint of the pleasantness to come. The action is very low, and it is a breeze to play. The two scales are a full inch apart (26 in bass and 25 inch treble). This is the sweet spot for fan frets. Very comfortable to play and easy to switch back and forth from standard scale instruments.

I don’t know why no one wanted this instrument. The price was not cheap, but with these woods and intricate dressing it should have cost twice as much. Perhaps the fan frets scared potential buyers away. This is the third fan fret in my collection, and I’m fairly certain soon I won’t play anything but. I feel like I’ve rescued a puppy from the pound. I’ll give her a good home.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200306_151211_resized.jpg (20.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_151235_resized.jpg (34.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_151130_resized.jpg (32.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_151255_resized.jpg (29.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_151316_resized[1].jpg (24.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20200306_151346_resized.jpg (23.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-06-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Congrats looks like a winner!!! Tom builds incredible guitars!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 03-06-2020, 09:58 PM

That is gorgeous. I'm sure it is as happy as you are to have found a home where this puppy can get some running in. ;-)
Old 03-06-2020, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I remember this guitar. I met Tom at that show and spend a considerable amount of time with him. He had about 5 new guitars, of which this is one. I do remember that they all were very "tight" but were so easy to play and beautifully built. He then pulled out of a case under the table one that was a year old and had been played a lot. The tone was amazing so I have little doubt with some time this one will blossom big.

He does an amazing job with the "depth" of finish on Brazilian, like looking into a deep deep pool. I think this is the only one he didn't sell that weekend, I pretty sure Doug Young bought one from him.

He is a great builder and a very nice guy.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 03-07-2020, 06:21 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Feeling a bit like a lottery winner, huh? Definitely a gorgeous guitar. I told Tom during the build, I really like what he did with the micro abalone on this guitar.

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop