The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Interesting to know that Cole and Clark both worked at Maton before forming Cole Clark, Brad Clark was considered to be rather "eccentric", not easy to work with but rather talented on the electronic side. Adam Cole left the partnership after just 2 years and sometime around 2009/10 Brad Clark was voted out of his own company and now lives and works in China as a , get this, acoustic guitar manufacturing advisor!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

I don't own either, and probably won't, but I've played both many times. And I agree with the general consensus here that the Taylor will probably sound better unplugged and the Cole Clark will be superior plugged in.

The guy who owns the best of my local shops actually told me years ago that Cole Clarks were really intended to be played plugged in.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Interesting to know that Cole and Clark both worked at Maton before forming Cole Clark, Brad Clark was considered to be rather "eccentric", not easy to work with but rather talented on the electronic side. Adam Cole left the partnership after just 2 years and sometime around 2009/10 Brad Clark was voted out of his own company and now lives and works in China as a , get this, acoustic guitar manufacturing advisor!
.......for a Company called 'Ashton Music', an Australian company that sells low cost guitars and other music stuff.

Back to the OP, good choice for choosing the Taylor especially the 814ce, their flagship model.
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 07-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Before all are turned off by the commentary, I suggest that one try the product, if possible, at a local dealer before tossing Cole Clark under the bus. I bought one sight unseen several years ago and am so happy I did. Plugged in, I find their FaceBlend system to be the best. Superior to even more expensive systems like the Trance Amulet. Just one man's opinion.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM

I love my Cole Clark and price wise - it's way under the range you mentioned. I actually find most Taylors to have a brighter sound then my particular CC, but really, you just need to get your hands on them.

I chose the Cole Clark for the combination of how it sounded and how it felt.
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
Before all are turned off by the commentary, I suggest that one try the product, if possible, at a local dealer before tossing Cole Clark under the bus. I bought one sight unseen several years ago and am so happy I did. Plugged in, I find their FaceBlend system to be the best. Superior to even more expensive systems like the Trance Amulet. Just one man's opinion.
Each year i go back to Oz for xmas and play a bunch of Matons and CC's and each year i come away with my head shaking in disappointment. I hope one of the future annual visits will be different.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cole clark, comparison, taylor