The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Default Before I pull the trigger on a OOO-15sm...

Played a stunning OOO-15sm yesterday that so enchanted me, that it was the last thing on my mind as I fell asleep last night and the first thing on my mind when it woke me at 0430. Couldn't get it out of my mind. Still can't. I went back tonight to make sure it really happened. It did. I have it on 24 hour hold.

I had A/B/C'd it with a Taylor 322 and Taylor 520, my impressions of which can be found here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=340452

My only hesitation in purchasing it today is silly really -- I kind of like the binding on the LA Guitar Sales custom OM and I'm a little (really, just a little) leery about slot heads in general. Other than that, this guitar is a stunner to me and those things wouldn't hold me back for a minute if they don't exist anywhere in the OOO 12 fret.

My question before I pull the trigger is whether or not this OOO 12 fret can be found in a paddle head or if anyone is marketing a custom batch like Ted is with the OM? If not, it's a done deal -- she's going home with me tomorrow! I'm really sold on the effect of the 12 fret body. It's like magic! Plus, I'm a huge advocate of buying guitars you've played. They're too individual in my experience to buy blindly.

Okay, waiting for the first "buy them both!" post!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM

guitars are individuals and if the slothead speaks to you, there is a good chance the paddlehead wont
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Guest 728

Slotheads are a PITA, but it's something that you just get used to dealing with. Put long-lasting strings on it and enjoy!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydobbers View Post
guitars are individuals and if the slothead speaks to you, there is a good chance the paddlehead wont
Excellent point, Johnny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Slotheads are a PITA, but it's something that you just get used to dealing with. Put long-lasting strings on it and enjoy!
Thanks Willie. Another solid piece of advice of yours I'll likely follow!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

I love the aesthetics of a slothead guitar, especially on an 00 or 000 12 fret. Just classic looking. It's really not that difficult to string after you do it a couple times. People have been doing it for a long time sucessfully!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I really dont understand why people say this. I know a lot of you aren't gonna believe me but to me slot heads are much easier to tune.

Simple, cut the string just a little past the tuning peg directly above the one you are going to wind it on (the top of the headstock for the d and g strings), then just put the dang string in there and wind it up. I wind them with each wrap going further to the outside of the headstock.

It's really not the rocket science people make it out to be, just don't try to wind it before you cut the string, you'll scratch the headstock up for sure
Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 PM

The slot head is a non issue to me. It's really just different. No better, no worse. I like the look.
If you found one you like, and you slept on it. It's probably worth getting.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, all! Appreciated.

Anyone know of Martin OOO 12 fret variants out there?
Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
Thanks for the reassurance, all! Appreciated.

Anyone know of Martin OOO 12 fret variants out there?
I played a 00017sm and loved it. It has a spruce top with mahogany back and sides, but it looks a lot like a glossed up, fancier 00015sm. Worth checking out for sure
Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I played a 00017sm and loved it. It has a spruce top with mahogany back and sides, but it looks a lot like a glossed up, fancier 00015sm. Worth checking out for sure
I've never been able to find one to play! Also was mildly interested in the Jeff Tweedy but reports on those was Stellar to Ho Hum...
Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
I've never been able to find one to play! Also was mildly interested in the Jeff Tweedy but reports on those was Stellar to Ho Hum...
I compared one to an om15 and much preferred the om15
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
I really dont understand why people say this. I know a lot of you aren't gonna believe me but to me slot heads are much easier to tune

It's really not the rocket science people make it out to be, just don't try to wind it before you cut the string, you'll scratch the headstock up for sure
I wouldn't call it rocket science either, but it can be tricky for the first few string changes. If you use roundcore strings, doing a fixing wrap is necessary, and is more difficult on a slothead. And, depending on the headstock design, sometimes the the G and D strings have to be wound inside, so as not to rest up against the bottom of slot edge, while the other strings have to be wound to the outside. Like I said, once you get used to it it's not a big deal, but there's a learning curve involved.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't call it rocket science either, but it can be tricky for the first few string changes. If you use roundcore strings, doing a fixing wrap is necessary, and is more difficult on a slothead. And, depending on the headstock design, sometimes the the G and D strings have to be wound inside, so as not to rest up against the bottom of slot edge, while the other strings have to be wound to the outside. Like I said, once you get used to it it's not a big deal, but there's a learning curve involved.
Not entirely true either, with round core strings you can simply bend the string first and then cut past the bend. That's what pyramid recommends for cutting their strings to length.

I've found sometimes you have to wind the e strings to the inside, but I left that out because most of the time you don't I've found, if anyone has trouble with tuning slotheads just watch a YouTube video. I don't think the learning curve is any steeper then when you first learn to string a regular headstock
Old 05-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Guest 728

email4eric, here's a solid string-change how-to, using a Martin for the example:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...theadstr1.html

I'm sort of hoping you go ahead and get the one you've played -- I sometimes regret not getting the "sm" when I bought my "m." There's something very special about that 12-fret tone!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Thanks Willie. Barring natural disasters or other phenomena, it will be played in my living room tomorrow evening.

Thanks too, for the the link! I've just gotten comfortable with slot head stringing! The learning curve continues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion