The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-17-2020, 01:45 PM

Default Why did you buy, or consider, your Carbon Fiber?

Hey Everyone, I don't visit this sub forum very often but I've always been intrigued by carbon fiber guitars. Why did you buy, or why are you considering, a Carbon Fiber? Is it mostly because of the humidity/ temperature/ environmental reasons or something else?

Perhaps you're like me. You have wood based acoustics and you're just looking for something different?
Old 02-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Initially my reason for trying carbon fiber was due to the constant battle with humidity. I live in Northern Canada where it's currently around 20% in my "music room". I tried all forms of whole house humidification and got tired of it. I run a smaller humidifier upstairs, mostly for the kids. Also, travelling around with a wooden guitar, especially in winter, was always a concern. Carbon fiber guitars eliminate that concern and they came a long way since they were introduced. Emerald and Rainsong are the 2 most popular brands on this subforum and they both make amazing guitars. Emerald gets the extra nod from me due to the comfort with all the fancy bevels and custom options and as an added bonus they sound amazingl. I also played a Composite Acoustics GX which sounded amazing as well. I'm sure others will chime in with some other makers as well such as McPherson. There's lots of choices out there now. The more the merrier I say. I can go on and on but I'll leave it at that for now.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:09 PM

I was leaving a Martin in the case and finding that I liked the size of my GS Mini (small body, short scale). Also, while the Mini was hanging on the wall quite a bit of the time, I worried about humidity in the winter (lack of). Became intrigued with the idea of carbon and tried one out at Elderly Inst (Cargo) and it followed me home. The GS Mini and Martin both went up for sale and I have never looked back.

For me, it was a combination of learning the size/configuration of guitar I was most comfortable with, and knowing that my style of play (meaning, usually, not very long at any given sitting) really needed the instrument to be right at hand. So small carbon just made sense.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

The first reason was for something acoustic that wasn’t overly affected by temperature, humidity, altitude and travel stresses. Rainsongs and a CA Cargo filled, and fill, that bill nicely.

Then there was what Emerald brought to the table in terms of going beyond a CF version of the typical wood guitar. 12 string, Baritone, Amicus and 6/12 Chimaera, all of which also function quite nicely in harsh weather and travel conditions, and have found places in the creative rotation.

Plus, they all amplify well, if needed.

CF construction may indeed be the single greatest advance in the acoustic instrument world in quite some time.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Come for the indestructabilty and stay for the tone and playability. In the case of Emeralds, also stay for the amazing looks & ergonomics....
Old 02-17-2020, 02:56 PM

Cause I live in Phoenix ☀️
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2020, 04:03 PM
Guest 928

Because I like beautiful jewelry and Emeralds are my favorite.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Because I like beautiful jewelry and Emeralds are my favorite.
And my birthstone as you well know being Unc and all.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

My interest in carbon fiber guitars started with the CA Guitars Cargo. Part of it was the already mentioned ability to not be affected by environment, but even more important was that such a small guitar really could sound very good.

In addition to my Cargos, I now have a full size McPherson Sable and two McPherson Touring, which (in my opinion) are what the Cargo could have been, given the R & D dollars and commitment to its long term development. McPherson's attention to the smallest of details in quality manufacturing seems to turn out stellar instruments every time.

If I ever decide to go entirely carbon fiber, I have the guitars now to do it. For me, the sticking point is my Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition. I truly think that Taylor really outdid themselves with that model.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-17-2020, 05:12 PM

As you state, it started to fill the need of having a worry-free guitar to take anywhere... camping, the Caribbean, Alaska. I also love how light, comfortable they are and....yes, I happen to love the tone. The question doesn't even cross my mind anymore about how "good" they are when compared to wood as both offer something the other cannot; wood offering better overall organic tone with character, carbon fiber offering piano-like clarity, ergonomics and portability.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

All of the above

I've been through a variety of 'beaters' over the years while my precious Martin stays snugly humidified in its case for the duration of our Minnesota winter. None have been particularly satisfying, though, with the result that I tend to play less during the winter - which is not really the desired result.

I had a good year at work in 2018, which made the possibility of investing in a CF guitar a reality. I was familiar with CA (a Cargo very nearly came home from the Podium with me 8 or 9 years ago) and Rainsong, of which I'd played a couple in GC over the years, and was equally impressed by.

Then there was Emerald. I knew of them through the years - and did not care for the aesthetics of the earlier models. Then I saw the current X20 and was smitten. I ordered one in June 2018, and it arrived in October. Love at first sight, and at first play. The sound is wonderful, the playability and setup, out of the box near perfect, and the ergonomics are astounding. I absolutely love this guitar - it's easily the finest acoustic I've ever owned.

It is fully fit for purpose too. It sits on a stand, within easy reach, and no environmental concerns. It's there when I want it, and, as a result, I've been playing way more than I have in previous years.

And lucky me - I had a good year at work in 2019 as well, so #2 came along - a stunning X20-7, fan fret. It's equally wonderful, although I'll be the first to admit that the extra string is a lot more challenging than I expected.

Good thing that I'm soon going to have a bit more time to take it on
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 02-17-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Everyone, I don't visit this sub forum very often but I've always been intrigued by carbon fiber guitars. Why did you buy, or why are you considering, a Carbon Fiber? Is it mostly because of the humidity/ temperature/ environmental reasons or something else?

Perhaps you're like me. You have wood based acoustics and you're just looking for something different?
For me it was 2 reasons:

1) I waited like 5 months for a high end LL36 Yamaha that never came. Yamaha messed up my order. I ended up reordering an LL56 at a discount for my troubles, but I don’t get it until later this year. I didn’t want to continue with my cheap Aria and wanted to get something decent in the meantime.

2) I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone...i.e: get #1 accomplished, and at the same time get that “have a guitar on the stand at all times” dynamic without worrying about temp/humidity.

CF guitar are really cool, but my primary interest is still in the wood world. I could never go all carbon fiber like some have. That is not in the cards for me. My interests in CF are primarily function and flexibility. Having said this, their tone is shockingly good.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-17-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Initially my reason for trying carbon fiber was due to the constant battle with humidity. I live in Northern Canada where it's currently around 20% in my "music room". I tried all forms of whole house humidification and got tired of it. I run a smaller humidifier upstairs, mostly for the kids. Also, travelling around with a wooden guitar, especially in winter, was always a concern. Carbon fiber guitars eliminate that concern and they came a long way since they were introduced. Emerald and Rainsong are the 2 most popular brands on this subforum and they both make amazing guitars. Emerald gets the extra nod from me due to the comfort with all the fancy bevels and custom options and as an added bonus they sound amazingl. I also played a Composite Acoustics GX which sounded amazing as well. I'm sure others will chime in with some other makers as well such as McPherson. There's lots of choices out there now. The more the merrier I say. I can go on and on but I'll leave it at that for now.
Yes, our Canadian winters can bring on dryness in the winter and humidity in the winter. I don't think I've ever played a CF guitar before ... actually, perhaps once at a store but I really can't recall.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:02 PM
Guest 928

Eatswodo (what language is that, by the way, and what does it mean??)

I like your description of the 20; it sits, stands, stays, and sings. You don't need a dog.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Eatswodo (what language is that, by the way, and what does it mean??)
It's my hobbit persona

Many years ago, I worked with a guy who could not spell my last name to save his life. 'eatswodo' was the best variation he ever came up with, and I've been using it ever since as an email ID, and a username scattered across the interwebs.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber