The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-27-2020, 12:46 PM

kudos on your purchase! hoping my X30 will ship this week and i'll have the same relatively short shipping wait.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpharm View Post
...hoping my X30 will ship this week and i'll have the same relatively short shipping wait.
Good luck with that....
Old 01-27-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Good luck with that....
hey, i can at least hope.....(but will keep my expectations low)
Old 01-27-2020, 05:32 PM

Congratulations on a great guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
I still feel the present X20 is still the best choice of Emerald guitar models.
At one time I would have agreed, but this Kestrel I have been playing around with is growing on me.

After talking to Alistair a few times I took a leap of faith and am quite happy with the results. Definitely a different kettle of fish though. I don't know which instrument I would grab if I had to only choose one. Most likely the Kestrel, but it likely depends on which one I was playing most recently.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 01-27-2020, 08:00 PM

Congrats! The Emerald that is actually a sapphire...cool!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Lovely! I really like the contrasty light in that photo, as well. I prefer the sound and feel of Elixirs on my X20. That blue looks great!
Old 01-28-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Incoming Emerald Blue X20...

Thanks all -

Per Chloe@Emerald, the strings it shipped with are D'Addario EXP11 .012 - .053.

I played it a bit last night and have some first impressions - deep bass for a guitar this size, nice in dropped D.

Really good playability, with a little more interaction than I like at the fingerboard extension as I move my bare-fingered fingerpicking up toward the neck. I naturally move around a bit toward and away from the bridge as I seek the tone I guess I want to hear. I noticed the fingerboard on the X20 more than I’m accustomed to.

The other guitar I played last night is a Collings OM1A JL. A very light guitar. The X20 is heavier, and substantially larger, I think it’s deeper and it feels like a bigger body. Subjective. Not measured.

I may string to the NB1253 strings in a couple of days.

Cheers!
Marc
Old 01-28-2020, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations On A Nice Emerald X-20 Blue--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I've tried a lot of strings on my X20, there's several that sound pretty good, but for some reason (like the Captain) I always seem to find my way back to the Elixirs, I use Nano HD's PB. Congrats on the new X20, I think the blue doesn't get it's due, my X7 is blue and I like the color a lot !
Old 01-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

That is one gorgeous guitar! Enjoy!!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I can't imagine going without my green X-20, it's a wonderful guitar. Did you get a coffee mug with yours?
Old 01-30-2020, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Second Impressions

Hi all —

Restrung tonight with D’Addario NB1252BT strings tonight. Those are the “balanced tension” light gauge Nickel Bronze.

I’ve used these on a few guitars, a Collings OM1AJL, a Collings C10-35, and a Breedlove Parlor. They feel great on the X20 straight-away. I am not fond of the EXP strings that the guitar came with. They feel too coated when I play bare-fingered, which is almost always.

I went with the Balanced Tension because that’s what I had in my supply, I was out of the “normal” light gauge 12-53s in the NBs — I wanted to play the NBs on this guitar because that’s what I’ve been using most for a couple of years now, I think.

I’m trying to control variables.

I came to the conclusion last night that I would not have purchased this guitar if I’d have played it beforehand. I wanted to change the strings to see what difference that made. Which feels like a lot, right off the bat.

It’s not my 1st CF guitar; I have a Rainsong OM-1000 from like 2001, which I bought just-about brand-new on eBay (remember auctions???). I’ve had that guitar all over the world, it fell off a luggage cart when moving once, busting the top off the body at the lower bout treble side, for about 4 inches (played fine for a year or so until I took it to John Warden in MD to fix it, which he did with crazy glue). That guitar is my travel guitar, it’s been a good open mic guitar with the quacky undersaddle built-in, it’s good for being in the trunk of the car on a road-trip, a guitar I don’t mind checking in a small plane in a gig-bag (it lives in a great old Reunion Blues well-padded cordura gig bag).

I am hoping that the Emerald will fill all that and more, and be a great upgrade. If that feels right, I’ll sell the Rainsong to the next player!

I love the blue CF and the Emerald aesthetic. I love the bevels. I love the Gotoh 510 tuners — what a cool guitar! I expect to really like the Anthem for open mics.

Now let’s see how I feel about how it plays and how it sounds with the new strings (playability already better for my sensibility, and I think it was a smart thing to use the balanced tension set, which is a bit lighter than the standard lights).

More as it happens!
Marc
Old 01-30-2020, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback Marc - so if it's the strings that turns you off is it their effect on playability (the "coated" feeling you mentioned) or does it impact the tone in a negative way based on your expectation (and in comparison to other CF guitars like your rainsong)?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber