The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Am I Causing a B String Jangle?

Most of my guitars have a jangly B strings. It just a ringy sound to it. I don't think I'd really call it fret buzz but there is definitely a ringy sound to it. Is there something in my technique of playing or re-string technique that could be causing this?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM

Maybe. Do you have inadvertent contact between a ringing B-string and the pick or nails? This can happen, for example, on the way back up from a down-stroke getting positioned for another down-stroke. The B-string can be the worst noise maker with this issue.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

I think this is very common and I call it a "clunky" B string although the same problem can affect the top E too.

It may be due to the wrong (or worn) break angle over the nut. Sometimes I've managed to diminish it by changing over the saddle (counter-intuitive as the clunk is only when the B is played open).

Sometimes it comes and goes with humidity changes. Currently I have the problem on my Santa Cruz.

I welcome the suggestions of others.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I've seen this many times on short scale acoustic guitars. I've heard the term "hairy" regarding the B string.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 AM

it could be just a tiny bit out of tune? This string is really noticeable when something is out of whack.

Snark Tuner
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM

This happens with me sometimes. Its usually a fretting issue for me. Not pressing down hard enough. My callouses get so thick that I sometimes get a rut in them that makes fully pressing the string to the fret board difficult. Sometimes the string rides in the groove instead of being pressed flush against the fret board.
Derailer (My go-to travel guitar)
Glibson Super Duper Jumbo Deluxe Extreme (with birds on it)
Martino Cinco De Mayo (First Edition)
Louden Silent Guitar
Lowvation 12 String Salad Bowl
Albatross Merrytime with Red Tide Sunburst

http://portraitsinpencil.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDerrickRyan
Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 AM

I use 13's and notice this when I tune the strings down a half or whole step. By the way, this pingy sound is heard (Gibson J-160E) on many Beatles recordings.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM

How is the fret wear on your first few frets below the B and E strings? If they are getting grooves you might be making just slight contact with frets farther up the neck. It will make a pinging sound that really doesn't sound like fret buzz. I had this issue on my Yairi and had my first five frets replaced, (after 20 yrs.), and that solved it. The truss rod may need a slight tweek also.

Those two unwound strings will dig into the frets faster than the fatter wound strings.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
How is the fret wear on your first few frets below the B and E strings? If they are getting grooves you might be making just slight contact with frets farther up the neck. It will make a pinging sound that really doesn't sound like fret buzz. I had this issue on my Yairi and had my first five frets replaced, (after 20 yrs.), and that solved it. The truss rod may need a slight tweek also.

Those two unwound strings will dig into the frets faster than the fatter wound strings.
I have this problem. It's more pronounced with humidity changes. I think it's my frets. 25 year old guitar that's been heavily played.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
Most of my guitars have a jangly B strings. It just a ringy sound to it. I don't think I'd really call it fret buzz but there is definitely a ringy sound to it. Is there something in my technique of playing or re-string technique that could be causing this?
I think this is fairly common, and probably not a result of your technique. I call it "The B-String Ping".

I am fighting this same thing right now with my 2014 Gibson J-45 which is otherwise a great guitar. For me, it's an aggravating "ping" sometimes (not always), only when I strum hard (with a pick), and only with the open B-string.

I've changed-out the saddle & nut, and had the guitar professionally set-up, but the "open B ping" is still sometimes there when I strum. Here are a few things I've done to try to ameliorate the ping:

* Changed picks. I found that the ping seems to happen infrequently when I'm using a Dunlop Ultex .73 pick. As an added plus, I love the feel and sound of this pick.

* Changed strings (quite frequently). Right now I'm on a set of DR Sunbeam 12s, and the "ping frequency" seems to be low. Strings sound good too. (FYI, the pinging was unbearable with the SIT Royal Bronze strings!)

* Change strumming location. When I strum higher on the neck (say over the fretboard extension) the ping completely goes away.

* Oddly enough, I have found that when I'm getting the ping, if I detune the B-string, and then bring it back up to pitch the ping goes away. (?)

This ping is a pesky bugger...Good luck with yours!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 04-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I think this is fairly common, and probably not a result of your technique. I call it "The B-String Ping".

I am fighting this same thing right now with my 2014 Gibson J-45 which is otherwise a great guitar. For me, it's an aggravating "ping" sometimes (not always), only when I strum hard (with a pick), and only with the open B-string.

I've changed-out the saddle & nut, and had the guitar professionally set-up, but the "open B ping" is still sometimes there when I strum. Here are a few things I've done to try to ameliorate the ping:

* Changed picks. I found that the ping seems to happen infrequently when I'm using a Dunlop Ultex .73 pick. As an added plus, I love the feel and sound of this pick.

* Changed strings (quite frequently). Right now I'm on a set of DR Sunbeam 12s, and the "ping frequency" seems to be low. Strings sound good too. (FYI, the pinging was unbearable with the SIT Royal Bronze strings!)

* Change strumming location. When I strum higher on the neck (say over the fretboard extension) the ping completely goes away.

* Oddly enough, I have found that when I'm getting the ping, if I detune the B-string, and then bring it back up to pitch the ping goes away. (?)

This ping is a pesky bugger...Good luck with yours!
Perhaps your B string nut slot is not quite wide enough? Reason I suggest this is because its different with different types of strings. Does it go away if you use a lighter string gauge? If so, your nut was cut for the lighter string gauge and the pinging sound is the string binding in the nut as you play. You can widen the nut very slightly with a file or possibly even a razor blade. Make sure you just widen the slot, not deepen it.

It goes away when you detune and retune because its caused by the string getting stuck in the nut slot, you detune it and it causes the string to move; thus causing it to no longer be stuck.

Strumming closer to the neck may or may not cause your string to vibrate slightly differently, thus effecting whether or not it binds in the slot.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahwc View Post
Perhaps your B string nut slot is not quite wide enough? Reason I suggest this is because its different with different types of strings. Does it go away if you use a lighter string gauge? If so, your nut was cut for the lighter string gauge and the pinging sound is the string binding in the nut as you play. You can widen the nut very slightly with a file or possibly even a razor blade. Make sure you just widen the slot, not deepen it.
Now that you mention this, I have been experimenting with strings lately and that's when I noticed mine. I still think my frets are problematic.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Unwound strings dig into the saddle more than wound strings. Often the zing originates right at the saddle.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:01 PM

The B string is always a bit strange. Based on what you describe, and others have mentioned, I would look carefully at the nut slot.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quick follow-up...

I put some pencil graphite in the B-string nut slot of my J-45 and that has completely alleviated the problem.

Thanks so much to all for the comments!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 05-02-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: fixed typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion