The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2020, 06:47 AM

Question Outdoor Guitar Finally Here

Just watched the following....

https://youtu.be/fb6fIzsbcK4

Not bad…what do you think.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM

I think it could work. I couldn't find the specs (in my one lame attempt), but I would guess it has a scale somewhere near a GS mini. In other words it's in the range of a Cargo at about a third the price. On the other hand you could say it is a large guitalele for about three times the price. I think it's better than a Washburn Rover (which is about the same price point).

If I had to choose one, I think I would probably choose Outdoor guitar over the guitalele even with the price difference and even though I obviously haven't had the Outdoor guitar in my lap yet. I am biased though because I have a guitalele and after playing other small guitars would rather have a Cargo or something along that line instead.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-20-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Washburn Rover... I haven't thought about that in a long time. I had one, that was a "boat guitar" for a while. It was uncomfortable to try to hold, but it made up for it by sounding lousy.

I assume the Outdoor Guitar is from the same folks who make the Outdoor Ukulele, so they have a background and facility to produce this. The YouTube video sounded more ukulele-ish than guitar to me, but not bad. Certainly better than the Rover.

I like to see forward thinking in the guitar world.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:21 AM
Guest 928

I've owned both the steel and nylon versions of the Rover. I agree that the Rover was hard to hold, but I thought it played and sounded pretty good for such a small instrument.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've owned both the steel and nylon versions of the Rover. I agree that the Rover was hard to hold, but I thought it played and sounded pretty good for such a small instrument.
Evan... thought you would be interested because this has custom nylon strings... here are the specs:

Carbon fiber polycarbonate.
Bolt-on neck.
20" scale length.
30.75" long x 10" wide x 3.75" deep.
Approximately 3 pounds.
E-A-D-G-B-E Tuning.
1.75" width at the nut.
D'Addario XT coated bass strings with fluorocarbon treble strings.
Precision geared tuning machines.
Individual string compensated saddle.
Outdoor Guitar™ Nickel $345.
Outdoor Guitar™ Gold $355.
Made in the Bend, Oregon USA.

Small body... kind of like a baritone Uke with 6 strings ... reminds me of the small "cowboy guitars" from the past. Wonder if it's size is like a 0-18? Sounds pretty good to me... like there ukes!!!

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 02-20-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Guest 928

Fixed;

OK, now you've done it. At this price I almost have to purchase another guitar--something to keep me entertained whilst I await my new Emerald.

I looked up the Outdoor site and in first looking at the guitar I thought it must have steel strings. Apparently the instrument comes with ball end nylon strings. Never much liked ball end strings.

Last edited by Guest 928; 02-20-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Washburn Rover... I haven't thought about that in a long time. I had one, that was a "boat guitar" for a while. It was uncomfortable to try to hold, but it made up for it by sounding lousy.
I still have one (a steel string). The original case is 3 to 4 times the size it should be though that is still pretty small compared to a decent guitar. I have to use a strap when sitting with it or hold it like a uke. Needless to say I don't play it much unless it's the only game in town.

Got it second hand in Scotland when I landed there guitar-less. I took it to 8 or 10 countries in Europe. Took it on a cruise too. It was nice to have a guitar I could just about stuff under any seat and that I wasn't too worried about leaving in the car or getting stolen.

Certainly not perfect for several reasons, but it's still much better than nothing.

BTW, the Guitalele has a 17" scale and is about 28 inches long for comparisons sake. I would guess the Outdoor guitar (20" scale) is closer to that than a Cargo with the 22.75" scale or GS mini with it's even longer 23.5 " scale and should probably be tuned up a step or two to improve the sound. The tuning guess is of course sight unseen, but it's been my experience that any really short scale guitar has a lousy bass when tuned to regular pitch. Looks like a fun toy to have and I would probably get the Outdoor before I got either the Cargo or Mini if I was in the market. If I had the money and didn't worry about the cost, I would go for a Synergy Uke first. Completely different price point though.

Maybe Uncle E will be passing his along when his new toy arrives, so there's also that for me to consider. Uncle, you want to send me a PM now or wait until you played it a few days first? I guess I can just send you my address so we don't have to worry later.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Guest 928

Two nephews, one forum--word gets around. There appear to be some things my ma and pa never mentioned. No need to send an address, I can just send it along to my other neph in Arizona and he can pass it along.

That's if I get it. Not doing much travelling now-a-days. Still and all, it is a nylon string guitar....................
Old 02-20-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Two nephews, one forum--word gets around. There appear to be some things my ma and pa never mentioned. No need to send an address, I can just send it along to my other neph in Arizona and he can pass it along.

That's if I get it. Not doing much travelling now-a-days. Still and all, it is a nylon string guitar....................

Yay...I think...

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-20-2020, 07:25 PM
Guest 928

How's that going? The thinking..................
Old 02-20-2020, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How's that going? The thinking..................
I tried it once... exhausting. Much easier just getting by on my looks.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Fixed;

OK, now you've done it. At this price I almost have to purchase another guitar--something to keep me entertained whilst I await my new Emerald.

I looked up the Outdoor site and in first looking at the guitar I thought it must have steel strings. Apparently the instrument comes with ball end nylon strings. Never much liked ball end strings.
Interesting that you do not like ball end strings.... curious why? The traditional slip knot looks cooler but I found on their uses it works fine and easier to change strings. Also found their setups spot on! Also given that the frets are molded out of the same cf/plastic nylon is the only choice for strings. Interest that they are using uke base strings for the low e ect. Love the innovation at this price point!
Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM

I have an Outdoor Uke. Like it for what it is, but doesn’t sound near as good as my wood ukes. The guitar is described as being made from “carbon fiber Polycarbonate”. I assume these are injection molded, not laid up carbon fiber like a Rainsong, etc?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 02-21-2020, 01:24 PM
Guest 928

Fixed;

I'm not fond of ball-end strings in part because of tradition and habit--I've got the string-tie thing down and sort of like doing it.

I also like tie strings because of the wider choice.

And I like the way string ties look. I also like slot-head tuners, though, as I've moved to more hybrid instruments, I've adapted to peg head tuners. I suppose I could adapt to ball end strings. Next thing you know I could go bi and start experimenting with steel string instruments. No--I have my standards.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I have an Outdoor Uke. Like it for what it is, but doesn’t sound near as good as my wood ukes. The guitar is described as being made from “carbon fiber Polycarbonate”. I assume these are injection molded, not laid up carbon fiber like a Rainsong, etc?
Hi Matt,

Yes.. injected molded..I have both their tenor and soprano CF/poly bended (black) ukes and have found them a little brighter verses there other ukes. Agree that there are definitely better sounding wood ukes but for the price performance really enjoy them. They go anywhere and don't even need a case. The strings will break before these ukes will :-). Enjoy them camping and beach trips with the family and not worried about the kids and/or lending them out to friends and family to enjoy.... Very communal instruments ..even sound good plugged in with k&k pickups.

I have not seen someone mention but in speaking with outdoor uke they are modeled after the "sloped shoulder" gibson ukes of old. Really like the overall look of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber