The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM

I used Tracktion for several years and really liked it because it was EASY and everything was on a single screen.

I recommend Reaper as a good solution for folks looking for a good general purpose DAW. There is a learning curve, but it's not too difficult to set up to suit your needs. Most users work through the setup preferences and save a master template based on their work flow.

Reaper seems overly complex to new users, but that's simply because there are so many different ways it can be customized.

Another big plus with Reaper is that you have plenty of time using the demo version before you decide to commit to paying the very small "licensing fee". They do not cripple their software and rely on the honor system for their users, and I really love their business model. It means something in this day and age that they put so much trust in their users.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:26 AM

I have limited knowledge of several DAWs--and as some have said above modern recording software has so many features that learning all of them is a mighty task.

Your question is sort of like asking which language is easiest to learn. While it is possible to make distinctions between one language and another regarding things like tenses, amount of gendered words, usage rules and so on, those differences tend to even out in the larger scheme of things.

Conceptually I find that the range of DAWs I've at least fooled around with have similar feature sets,* but the great frustration is that the terminology and workflow for each feature is most always particular to each DAW. Another thing that frustrates new users is that so much of what they do on their screens is based on small screen gadgets and buttons, some of which modify themselves with additional keypresses, clicks, contexts, or "views", so that they seem to come and go. Learning what each "button" means and how they come and go or in what context a choice is offered is a part of the learning curve.

Still the flexibility of what one can do, the kind of "real world" problems they can efficaciously solve just can't be beat!

So my bottom line answer is that when you move to a foreign country (a new DAW) you will need to learn the language and the new lay of the land. You don't have to learn everything all at once, you can't become like a "native" overnight. I would worry more about whatever you can predict about stability of the platform in the future and amount of easily accessible tutorials. Of course nothing about those things are a sure bet. In considering it you have to play the odds.

*Audacity still has as a more limited feature set, which makes it a bit easier to learn to do the most basic recording things I think. I sense you're looking to expand what you can do beyond Audacity.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 AM

So far CakeWalk by BandLab seems to be working for me...
Mixcraft 8 I like the interface more but it also cost $$ and Cakewalk is free

I also have ProTools First(Free) but I'm running into problems setting up the audio as I do with LMMS

So I'm thinking of tackling the learning curve on Cakewalk, I've already downloaded a couple of VST plugins that I liked in Mixcraft
And I think I can change the theme in Cakewalk, I'll check that out later

Anyone want to tell me their preferred FX Setup for vocals? the chain
Old 11-30-2019, 06:17 AM

New Recording using Cakewalk... in Signature
It's still a work in progress...
I can't believe the differences in sounds from one speaker to the next... From the computer to headphones to monitors
This is going to be a work in progress just fixing the songs to sound good in all types of equipment
Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 AM

I consider myself a Luddite regarding DAWs. When my trusty Korg D1600 showed signs of possible problems, I finally entered the computer recording world. I have only ever used Reaper and it is fairly intuitive to me. Open a project, add a track, choose the input source, arm the track for recording, press the record button and that's it. Not much different than the stand-alones (tape and digital) I have used in the past.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I consider myself a Luddite regarding DAWs. When my trusty Korg D1600 showed signs of possible problems, I finally entered the computer recording world. I have only ever used Reaper and it is fairly intuitive to me. Open a project, add a track, choose the input source, arm the track for recording, press the record button and that's it. Not much different than the stand-alones (tape and digital) I have used in the past.
Well that does describe the basics, but where DAWs really shine is the next step, Editing. That's where the learning curve starts
Old 11-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Brand new to DAWs. I gave up on Reaper quite quickly after encountering some bugs (flashing windows icons, would not recognise audio interface) and went with Acoustica Mixcraft recording studio 9. It seems pretty intuitive and the price is reasonable. My friend has had some great results with it.

I couldn’t afford one of the fancier ones like ProTools and I haven’t pirated software since the glory days over a decade ago.

Old 11-30-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Brand new to DAWs. I gave up on Reaper quite quickly after encountering some bugs (flashing windows icons, would not recognise audio interface) and went with Acoustica Mixcraft recording studio 9. It seems pretty intuitive and the price is reasonable. My friend has had some great results with it.

I couldn’t afford one of the fancier ones like ProTools and I haven’t pirated software since the glory days over a decade ago.
Cakewalk by BandLab is a full featured DAW for FREE and it's pretty easy, I am trying to put a bassline and/or drums...something I can just add thats done, other than tempo changes etc..,
So far that part of it I'm going to have to watch a youtube video or something
Old 11-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Cakewalk by BandLab is a full featured DAW for FREE and it's pretty easy, I am trying to put a bassline and/or drums...something I can just add thats done, other than tempo changes etc..,
So far that part of it I'm going to have to watch a youtube video or something

Unfortunately I've already paid for Mixcraft.

On the plus side my friend also uses Mixcraft so it makes working on projects with each other a cakewalk!

Old 11-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Unfortunately I've already paid for Mixcraft. [emoji38]

On the plus side my friend also uses Mixcraft so it makes working on projects with each other a cakewalk!
I really like Mixcraft. It's a good DAW!
Old 12-05-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I used Tracktion for several years and really liked it because it was EASY and everything was on a single screen.

I recommend Reaper as a good solution for folks looking for a good general purpose DAW. There is a learning curve, but it's not too difficult to set up to suit your needs. Most users work through the setup preferences and save a master template based on their work flow.

Reaper seems overly complex to new users, but that's simply because there are so many different ways it can be customized.

Another big plus with Reaper is that you have plenty of time using the demo version before you decide to commit to paying the very small "licensing fee". They do not cripple their software and rely on the honor system for their users, and I really love their business model. It means something in this day and age that they put so much trust in their users.
Im trying to get Reaper to work, anyone have the settings for output,? Im using win10 and i cant seam to find the right settings in Reaper to listen to it, my Mic works but no playback sound??
Old 12-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Well that does describe the basics, but where DAWs really shine is the next step, Editing. That's where the learning curve starts
I've done some cutting and pasting in Reaper more or less using things I learned on my old Korg D1600. There was not really much difference.
'18 Martin GP-28E
Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Im trying to get Reaper to work, anyone have the settings for output,? Im using win10 and i cant seam to find the right settings in Reaper to listen to it, my Mic works but no playback sound??
Off hand I would say check the online manual. I use Reaper with Windows 8.1 and it just seemed to work. Then again, I set it up about 5 or more years ago so I can't remember what all I did when I first set it up. It may be something in the actual Windows setting that sets up the audio output to your interface.
'18 Martin GP-28E
Old 12-05-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Off hand I would say check the online manual. I use Reaper with Windows 8.1 and it just seemed to work. Then again, I set it up about 5 or more years ago so I can't remember what all I did when I first set it up. It may be something in the actual Windows setting that sets up the audio output to your interface.
Sounds great [emoji106]
Old 12-05-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am confused you stated that you were using Cakewalk and it was working for you. ?
Why have you switched to Reaper ?

The first thing I would do is stop and take the time to (as I suggested in another thread) and list your actual system and recording chain

Because a lot of the information the will help you specifically, may in fact be specific to your system.
For example the in/out matrix (In any DAW) is determined by your hardware (your interface)
Also do you know how to take and post screen shots of your computer screen ?
(this will help a bunch in diagnosing your input output issues)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD