The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-06-2018, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Marc Beneteau Sitka/Padouk SJ

After many years of chatting and a couple of false starts, it's time Thanks to Dustin Furlow and his SJ build for the inspiration to check in again with Marc. Lucky for me he had an opening in his schedule and things started falling into place.

I've owned three of Marc's guitars in the past (OM, SJ longscale and baritone) and enjoyed them all. I have been a one guitar guy for many years, and recently had to make the tough decision to sell my trusty Lowden O-10 to fund this build. The Lowden was a workhorse guitar that handled almost everything I threw at it. I will certainly miss it, but I wanted something more optimized for my comfort.

Anyone who has talked with Marc likely knows how passionate he is about both his Sitka spruce and his Padouk. He probably could have easily sold me on a top upgrade, but he insisted that his Alaskan Sitka would be the best choice for me and told me it was one of his favorites to work with. I was all over the map on the back and sides choice, but we eventually landed on Padouk. My previous longscale and baritone both used it (albeit with Englemann tops), so I know it's a solid choice. He has used it a lot over the years and raves about the tap tone. The goal is an instrument that can be used for standard but will excel in D and C based tunings, delivering his signature clarity and power.

Here are the specs:

Sitka/Padouk SJ
25.75" scale
1-13/16" nut, 2-5/16" saddle spacing
Pinless bridge
Top bevel (still deciding on style)
Bound neck and headstock

Lots more to come! Here's the first pic received from Marc yesterday:

Last edited by Ryan Alexander; 07-17-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Smile Beneteau

I will certainly be watching this build thread with anticipation. Congratulations!

My Beneteau CS has only gotten better over time. It still looks new and the setup hasn't moved. Mine lives in DADGAD and has tremendous dynamics and volume along with a fat woody/earthy tone to die for. On top of all that, Marc is such a nice guy and was a pleasure to work with. It is obvious that he loves building guitars.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 06-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Cool to see a couple of Beneteau build threads pop up as of late. Just spent a few hours on the couch with mine in DADGAD. As others will note the sound is clear, balanced, and quite loud with nice thick trebles. Wonderful guitars.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 06-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

This is going to be super cool!
Old 06-07-2018, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations Ryan and thanks for sharing with us. Looking forward to more posts!

Are you going to do a big Canadian road trip and pick it up in person?

Last edited by colins; 06-07-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:41 AM

Oooo, I'll be sure to follow along with this thread! I, too, think padauk and Sitka are underrated woods. They make fantastic guitars!
Congrats on the custom order, Ryan
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Looks to be an interesting build. I look forward to following along.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
I will certainly be watching this build thread with anticipation. Congratulations!

My Beneteau CS has only gotten better over time. It still looks new and the setup hasn't moved. Mine lives in DADGAD and has tremendous dynamics and volume along with a fat woody/earthy tone to die for. On top of all that, Marc is such a nice guy and was a pleasure to work with. It is obvious that he loves building guitars.
Thanks Sounds like a killer you have there! And I completely agree with your comments about Marc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Cool to see a couple of Beneteau build threads pop up as of late. Just spent a few hours on the couch with mine in DADGAD. As others will note the sound is clear, balanced, and quite loud with nice thick trebles. Wonderful guitars.
And it's great to see some owners coming out of the woodwork (or should that be FOR the woodwork?!)! Those are good descriptors for all the Beneteaus I have owned or played. I definitely hear a signature voice in Marc's instruments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
This is going to be super cool!
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Congratulations Ryan and thanks for sharing with us. Looking forward to more posts!

Are you going to do a big Canadian road trip and pick it up in person?
Thanks! I would love to visit Marc and pick it up, but I'm not sure it's in the cards for me this year. I'll have to give that some more consideration for sure The guitar should be finished sometime around September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharius View Post
Oooo, I'll be sure to follow along with this thread! I, too, think padauk and Sitka are underrated woods. They make fantastic guitars!
Congrats on the custom order, Ryan
Cheers! I'm definitely a fan of both woods based on previous experiences, and it's great that Marc is excited about the combo. By the by, I had a peek at your site and that's some lovely work!
Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Can’t wait to hear (and see!) how this turns out, I’m assuming a nice padouk rosette too? Probably the best baritone I’ve ever heard was that fan fret Sitka/padouk SJ that was floating around dream guitars for awhile...just an absurdly big sound...this will be no different I’m sure! Congrats again, buddy!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Not sure but I think Don Ross's first Beneteau was Paduck/spruce. At any rate, this looks to be a spectacular build. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Looks to be an interesting build. I look forward to following along.
Hope you dig it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Can’t wait to hear (and see!) how this turns out, I’m assuming a nice padouk rosette too? Probably the best baritone I’ve ever heard was that fan fret Sitka/padouk SJ that was floating around dream guitars for awhile...just an absurdly big sound...this will be no different I’m sure! Congrats again, buddy!
Thanks, Dustin! Rosette will either be Padouk or Box Elder Burl (I haven't seen an example, but he listed it as an option on my order sheet). Bindings will be Ebony and he's using something called Chakte-kok (aka Redheart) for the purflings. That baritone you mentioned was totally an influence on my choices, and in fact I was considering going full baritone with the same 27-28" spread but decided to save that for the next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Not sure but I think Don Ross's first Beneteau was Paduck/spruce. At any rate, this looks to be a spectacular build. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Yep, that's true! It was a 27" scale baritone, and I'm quite sure it was Englemann spruce since that's what Marc used to suggest for Don's guitars. I believe that guitar lives in Berlin now. Two of the Beneteaus I owned were ex-Don Ross guitars, and I believe they were the 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th guitars he made for Don. One was an SJ in Englemann/Padouk with a 25.75" scale and the other was an SJ baritone in Englemann/Padouk with a 28" scale. I do miss that baritone - AGF user Mycroft is the keeper of the cannon these days. I hope my new guitar will help ease the pain of letting that one go
Old 08-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I had to dial back the build a bit due to some personal issues - it was originally going to be a fan fret, but it's now going to be a standard long scale (25.75").

I didn't bother posting some of the smaller updates, but here's the latest from Marc - it's currently on track for completion some time in October

Old 08-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Smile Beneteau

Ryan,

My Beneteau CS has a 25.75" scale and also the same string spacing as yours. Mine lives in DADGAD but does equally well in standard or C tunings. It is a joy to play, and the setup hasn't changed a bit since Marc delivered the guitar to me in 2009.

I'm glad to see this build continue. I'm sure you are going to love your new Beneteau. The woods look beautiful!

Also, the neck on my Beneteau is a bit thicker from front to back than my other guitars. It is still very comfortable and I wouldn't change it because I like the variety when I play. I feel the variety of neck widths may help me to avoid a repetitive injury. Just letting you know in case you don't like a beefier neck so you can talk it over with Marc beforehand.

BTW, it is nice that Marc is going to paint those arrows on the top to remind you how to strum.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 08-27-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I don't think Cheerios works with the rest of the build aesthetic. I would have Marc remove that before final delivery. I also think it's a bad idea to block off the sound hole.

I would also insist he glues the binding instead of simply taping it. I know that's an uncharge, but I've found it's worth it in the end. It is cool that he puts the time on that one piece of tape, so I would leave that piece.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Im so excited for you, man. And even more excited to see photos come October.

I've been really enjoying my 25.75 scaled SJ. I keep either D'addario EJ or Nickel Bronze mediums on it and keep it tuned down to either DGCFAD (standard, but a full-step down) or CGCFGC (dadgad a full step down) and it just roars. Tuning it to standard pitch is fine too but I think the big body works amazing for lower voicings. Stays nice and clear and sounds super "open". The setup on mine is as good as it gets too, hasn't moved a bit.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop