The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-24-2024, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Boss Katana GO : Headphone Amp

Just got this thing the other day, and loving it! The streaming feature is fantastic, despite a few issues setting it up. The phone app for GO lets you link to a YouTube (or any other I assume) backing track, and you can play over the top of it, silently to everyone else in the house. Really has opened up the times when I can play my electric in the house.

Has a full range of Katana tones, all the customization to set it up yourself that any other Katana amp has, plus all the presets and the tone library you get with any other Katana amp. Pretty incredible.

I had some trouble setting up the streaming feature (Sessions), as there are 2 bluetooth channels (called MIDI and AUDIO IIRC, not looking at it now) and the AUDIO channel wouldn't come up by default. I had to hold down the Bluetooth button for a while and if finally came up. Anyway, once set up, it really works smoothly and easily.

You can use it to power external speakers via Aux audio input, but you need additional cabling. But that's cheap. 3.5 jack with 2 male ends and you're set to go, and you have all the tones available as any Katana amp. Can also be used as to record digitally via the USB output. Haven't tried that yet. Everything else works beautifully. The app is great.

There are a bunch of reviews of it, here is one which goes into some detail.

Highly recommended! Has anyone else tried it? For $119.00 it's incredible value IMO.

The other niggle I have is that the headphone cord they supply isn't long enough, as the plug into my headphones is on my left side, and it plugs into the guitar on my right, and it would be better to have a bit more slack. Easily solved with a longer cord.

Game changer for me to practice silently at home, day or night.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

If you're an at-home player, y'all are missing out.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:19 PM

I've got a Fender Mustang Micro, which is similar.

It's a lot of fun. Great for practicing at night or when my wife (who's home office is next to mine) starts slamming doors.
Fender EJ Strat
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeappel View Post
I've got a Fender Mustang Micro, which is similar.

It's a lot of fun. Great for practicing at night or when my wife (who's home office is next to mine) starts slamming doors.
Nice, I hear those are great. So nice to be loud and quiet at the same time!
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I've played around with headphone amps a bit and I always feel sort of claustrophobic using them. The only time I record with headphones is when I'm doing multi-track recording and I have to use headphones after the original track is done to hear the music I'm playing and the music I'm playing along to. As far as electric guitar volume, I tend to play my electric about as quietly or MORE quietly than I do my acoustics. My amp (some combination of solid state and digital - not a tube in it) has a very effective attenuator, so I can play with whatever level of dirt and any other effects and it sounds good at VERY civilized volumes. So my wife / neighbors are less likely to complain about my electric playing than my acoustic playing and any singing I might go for. But I'm glad these things are out there - always nice to have choices and we all have different preferences.

-Ray
Old Today, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Makes sense, Ray. Whatever works! I like it 'cause I get to play however loud I want. The "Stage Feel" feature on the GO is really nice as well, gives the speakers a directional feel, either in front or behind you as you play. I also have a practice amp which I can distort at low sounds levels, but I'm just a lot more comfortable rocking out with the headphones on. Especially as I'm playing repetitive phrases and scales, which are kinda torture for anyone else in the house.
Old Today, 03:10 PM

Just opened mine today. I already have a Katana amp, so I have a good idea how it will sound. I have a couple other headphone amps that I use, but way more limited. Great for travel or late night playing though.
Old Today, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I've played around with headphone amps a bit and I always feel sort of claustrophobic using them.
...But I'm glad these things are out there - always nice to have choices and we all have different preferences.
-Ray
Agreed! Not for recording for me, but for quiet practice or vacation (where I often take an electric). I bring headphones, but don't always use them preferring a speaker when is feasible, even if set low.

My solution here is the Katana Mini which does btw have a headphone jack. But here's the thing: it sounds good, like genuinely good in its own right. No models, sports only a mere gain pot and one simple tone knob, no digital wizardry or app (ewwww, an app!), but I do think it has an aux in to play with music (haven't a need so...). Dial in gain, or set it low, adjust the tone; it just plain sounds good. If I'm out-n-about and wanna plug in, I want simple and fast. Small, light, effective, and easy. For me, anyway.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars