The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-04-2021, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Default FedEx Delivery...

FedEx is the delivery company that many love to hate, and the recent "ravine delivery" of 400-600 packages certainly didn't help their street cred. Just after Thanksgiving I ordered an armchair from Hayneedle. The chair was to be delivered by FedEx, and here is its travel route thus far:

11/24 - Picked up in Wheeling IL
11/29 - Shipping information sent to FedEx
11/30 - Package arrived in Tracy, CA (that's right, somehow they figured that California was on the way from Illinois to Central Virginia)
12/1 - In transit to Loomis, CA
12/1 - In transit to Crescent Valley, NV
12/2 - In transit to Rock Springs, WY
12/2 - In transit to North Platte, NE
12/3 - In transit to Morrison, IL
12/4 - In transit to Chicago, IL

All the while, they've posted a delivery date of 12/4. Hokie smokes, Bullwinkle, what kind of geographic (or business) sense does this route make???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2021, 10:45 AM
Musical minimalist

Yeah - that's about as drastic a route as I've ever seen....sheesh!

Old 12-04-2021, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

The icing on the cake will be when the tracking has it marked "Delivered" and you don't have it. Then the fun begins.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
The icing on the cake will be when the tracking has it marked "Delivered" and you don't have it. Then the fun begins.
Or when the bare item arrives sans packaging with just a shipping label stuck to the wooden frame of the chair. It makes me think of the Good Sam Club RVers who put stickers on the back of their motorhomes/trailers from every park they've stayed at...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61nnVbne9GL._AC_.jpg (92.3 KB, 237 views)
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
That's a nightmare to be sure. More likely is seeing it marked as in your city and/or "on truck for delivery" for half a week like my last few packages from F'dEx.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:20 AM

As long as a package gets to me the day they say it will, they can send it to the moon for all I care...
Old 12-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
As long as a package gets to me the day they say it will, they can send it to the moon for all I care...
This is not a time is of the essence delivery, for sure; but the longer it's out there, the greater the chance for damage from mishandling...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Your retailer salesperson is getting paid by the mile on items shipped. That's crazy!

Thinking that it was loaded on the wrong truck/flight and ended up in CA.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:53 AM

FedEx is awful. Twice in the last few months a package needed a signature and I've stayed home from home work (I've been going in the last few months). And, twice they never rang me doorbell. They knocked lightly on the door and just left without leaving the package obviously.

I was so mad having waited the whole day for them to just leave without really making an attempt.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-04-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
FedEx is the delivery company that many love to hate, and the recent "ravine delivery" of 400-600 packages certainly didn't help their street cred. Just after Thanksgiving I ordered an armchair from Hayneedle. The chair was to be delivered by FedEx, and here is its travel route thus far:

11/24 - Picked up in Wheeling IL
11/29 - Shipping information sent to FedEx
11/30 - Package arrived in Tracy, CA (that's right, somehow they figured that California was on the way from Illinois to Central Virginia)
12/1 - In transit to Loomis, CA
12/1 - In transit to Crescent Valley, NV
12/2 - In transit to Rock Springs, WY
12/2 - In transit to North Platte, NE
12/3 - In transit to Morrison, IL
12/4 - In transit to Chicago, IL

All the while, they've posted a delivery date of 12/4. Hokie smokes, Bullwinkle, what kind of geographic (or business) sense does this route make???
That one does seem extreme or as if a mistake was made but more and more routing is done to optimize labor and mimize plans and vehicles carrying fuel. All the airfreight that goes from Asia to Alaska on way to other places to illustrate the latter.

At times decisions are made to get full containers or vehicles going to the final hubs. At times you can see the routes such as that are actually rail main lines but again, this one seems strange where a chair goes from Midwest to far coast and back.

Where I work we are trying and having some resistance from drivers on using routing systems even though it's only local delivery. Overall, more of our deliveries are getting done in a day, and really scarce human resources are better optimized.

I can't help but think of an associate's kid for this modern business intelligence stuff because after being a young actuary and then getting math and comp sci post grad education and experience he started a consulting firm that does bi and ai for transportation and sports betting. Stuff way over my head, and he's very much in demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
FedEx is awful. Twice in the last few months a package needed a signature and I've stayed home from home work (I've been going in the last few months). And, twice they never rang me doorbell. They knocked lightly on the door and just left without leaving the package obviously.

I was so mad having waited the whole day for them to just leave without really making an attempt.
Here I'd ask what you paid for that shipment? If I go with a standard rate or the shipper's negotiated rate I can see what you describe far more often than if I chose a premium option such as me pay for priority service, or for some of our shippers choose options outside of the negotiated rates.

I get frustrated when shipping doesn't go as I wish but have to be honest. Where I work we get and move hundreds to thousands of packages a day at a few locations and works out as it should. FedEx and UPS would be out of business if most rumors were true, and most complaints are people paying for lower tier services expecting first class.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:46 PM

A little over a year ago, I had a Martin 00-18 shipped to me via Fedex. The guitar ended up at a neighbor's house down the street and it was supposedly signed for. I was having a heart attack for two and a half hours until the neighbor got home and contacted me.

On the other hand, I just bought a '65 Epiphone Zenith off Gbase. The seller was in Pittsburgh and I'm slightly north of Detroit. I sent a cashier's check on Friday and good old USPS had the check delivered the following Monday. The seller then shipped the guitar via Fedex on Tuesday and it was delivered on Thursday.

By the way, a signature was required for this latest delivery. The Fedex driver asked if I was Dan and when I confirmed that I was, she signed for it herself due to Covid rules.

I can't complain about the second delivery.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 12-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Interesting how everybody seem to think they know how to do something better than the people who do it. Not just shipping, everything.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 12-04-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
That one does seem extreme or as if a mistake was made but more and more routing is done to optimize labor and mimize plans and vehicles carrying fuel. All the airfreight that goes from Asia to Alaska on way to other places to illustrate the latter.

At times decisions are made to get full containers or vehicles going to the final hubs. At times you can see the routes such as that are actually rail main lines but again, this one seems strange where a chair goes from Midwest to far coast and back.

Where I work we are trying and having some resistance from drivers on using routing systems even though it's only local delivery. Overall, more of our deliveries are getting done in a day, and really scarce human resources are better optimized.

I can't help but think of an associate's kid for this modern business intelligence stuff because after being a young actuary and then getting math and comp sci post grad education and experience he started a consulting firm that does bi and ai for transportation and sports betting. Stuff way over my head, and he's very much in demand.

Here I'd ask what you paid for that shipment? If I go with a standard rate or the shipper's negotiated rate I can see what you describe far more often than if I chose a premium option such as me pay for priority service, or for some of our shippers choose options outside of the negotiated rates.

I get frustrated when shipping doesn't go as I wish but have to be honest. Where I work we get and move hundreds to thousands of packages a day at a few locations and works out as it should. FedEx and UPS would be out of business if most rumors were true, and most complaints are people paying for lower tier services expecting first class.
I don't see how the price matters. If something needs a signature, it's their job to make an actual attempt at delivering the item... not a half (you know what) attempt.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-04-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Interesting how everybody seem to think they know how to do something better than the people who do it...
400-600 FedEx packages end up in a remote ravine in Alabama. A package travels from Illinois to California on the way to Central Virginia. It's hard to believe that most of us couldn't plan and execute these deliveries more efficiently. FedEx should hire this group to write a corporate theme song...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AsleepAtTheWheel-520x462-055d51943e.jpg (42.7 KB, 191 views)
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
I don't see how the price matters. If something needs a signature, it's their job to make an actual attempt at delivering the item... not a half (you know what) attempt.
Couldn't agree more. If I am shipped something with signature required for delivery, I don't expect the cost of the shipment to figure into how hard the delivery person tries to do their job.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic