The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-26-2021, 11:15 AM

Default Eric Taylor

I did a search here on the AGF and it returned about every post ever (probably because of "Taylor").

Eric Taylor was a great singer songwriter out of Texas (originally from Georgia). He passed away last year at 70. I came to hear him from an album of his songs done by Peter Cooper (also an excellent singer songwriter).

Anyway I'm really enjoying learning some of Eric's tunes.

Not much for video but here's a couple

Here's Peter Cooper covering "Prison Movie" by Eric:

Old 11-26-2021, 11:16 AM

I absolutely love Eric...got to see him live, several years ago, in what was essentially a house concert. Extremely talented writer with a unique finger picking style. There are a couple of vides on Youtube of him with Nancy Griffith, from old TNN shows--check those out, too (they were briefly married)...
Old 11-26-2021, 11:49 AM
Musical minimalist

He was a gem - and married to Nanci Griffith in the late 70's/early 80's.

This is one of my favorites....

Old 11-26-2021, 11:57 AM

Eric was the most mesmerizing songwriter/storyteller that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. I saw him perform more than a dozen times, opened for him at a house concert here in Florida and got to know him pretty well. He had a bit of a gruff exterior and a reputation as someone who did not gladly suffer fools, but he was genuinely a compassionate soul and very generous in sharing songwriting insights and guitar technique with anyone who was truly interested in music. And although he tended to be rather self-deprecating regarding his guitar skills, he was a talented fingerstyle player and a master of alternate tunings.

One time after one of his concerts I mentioned to him that Hemingway's Shotgun was my favorite song of his and that I'd been struggling to work out the guitar break in that song. He told me to go grab my guitar, and we spent the next 30 minutes together as he showed me how to play that break. I was deeply saddened when I heard that he had passed away. I often think of him as I listen to his albums regularly, and I especially miss him each January which is when he used to come to Florida every year to visit family and do a concert tour and I'd have a chance to spend some time with him.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by catdaddy; 11-26-2021 at 07:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write