The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-21-2021, 09:21 AM

Default Tablature for Justin Townes Earle

Are there any Justin Townes Earle fans out there who have tablature for any of JTE's live songs (as shown on YouTube)? I've had some transcribed for me by a professional but the difficulty is they are expensive and the way Justin played live and solo was often completely different to what is recorded on his albums so little chance of a tab book being published. I know that a few tabs appear on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKz...aDE5c_g/videos and a few on https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/arti...es_earle_22136 but beyond those, I can find nothing else on the internet.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of JTE- haven't seen anything specifically... but much of it can be figured out by watching videos. Nailing down his personal percussive style is going to be a bit more difficult though.

have fun!
madhat.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your post, madhta. The percussive style takes a little work to get right but it is easy once you have it. In many of his songs there are four parts to a bar. On the first note he brushes the bottom two or three notes with his thumb. On the second beat he drags his index figure down over the top three or four strings. The third beat is the tough one to begin with. He slaps the bottom string with the edge of his thumb (mostly a thumb movement with a little wrist thrown in). At the same time he strums the top four strings with the back of his three fingers). The fourth beat is a repeat of the second. I'm by no means a good guitarist but I was surprised how quickly the slap/strum came together.
He also does some alternating base songs where he picks hard the second thumb note in the bar by lifting the string away from the fretboard. I haven't begun to do this yet.
Hope this helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write