The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-28-2021, 01:08 AM

Default Taran Oreval Madagascan/Adirondack - Final Pro pics

Firstly I would like to say hello from Scotland, as this is my first post! I have lurked for a while, mainly following posts about Rory and Taran Guitars, but more on that later.

Like many, I became a little obsessed with guitars in my teens back in the 80s, played a lot at University in the early 90s, although mostly indie stuff in a band with now long term friends, but always loved acoustic music of all descriptions.

At 17 (1986) I worked all spare hours to save for a decent acoustic guitar, and armed with what was then a fair budget of £750 headed to London and scoured Denmark street for my first 'proper' instrument... I settled on a small bodied Gibson style body by UK maker Tom Mates... £699 + £49 for a Hiscox case, £2 to spare!

In around 2008, I met classical Luthier David Whiteman in a guitar shop in Worthing, West Sussex, when I still lived down in England. A lovely man who is building some amazing concert grade classical instruments as well has having restored many amazing Torres and Hauser guitars.

He agreed to let me come and make some sawdust in his workshop, and over next 2 years I built flat top you see in the picture (German Spruce and Macassar ebony, koa bindings etc)... I still have that and its not fallen apart yet!

I began collecting wood and tools for an eventually set up a small workshop in my cellar (basement) when we moved up to Scotland.

I was working on an electric bass for a friend of mine (for old university band) when I need advice and access to a thickness sander.... So I identified Taran and Rory and called up to ask if he would help me out for a small fee etc.

That was in 2010. We met and as others have said, its like talking to an old friend, the common love for all things guitar, although we also shared an interest in decent Malt whisky ;-)

We spent a fair amount of time talking in a what was then a tiny workshop and I got to strum and pick some of his early guitars.

I was impressed. They were still developing tonally, and Rory would not mind me saying they were very good, but at that stage you probably needed to be a very good player to get the best from them. What was however world class, was the quality of the build, the attention to detail and craftsmanship was at a level I had rarely seen, absolutely stunning.

I knew I would have to own one one day.. when kids grown up, bills paid etc... :-)

Over the last 10 years, I met up with Rory 2 or 3 times a year usually when I need advice on a few things, or a few years back when he built me a beautiful custom Springwell mandolin (I should add I could not play a mandolin, but wanted to learn and this was such an inspiration to do so) when they were aligned to my more modest budget ;-p

But more importantly, I got to play his instruments as he developed as a luthier... hearing the improvements, and this is Rory all over, asking me for feedback. Now I must come clean and say I am not a very good player. I strum along and pick a little but too many bad habits and bad style and not much progress in the 30+ years since my teenage years, yet Rory was asking me! I felt humbled, but I had at least played some great instruments including several I never got to own... but should have sold the children to ;-) ) But that is Rory all over, humble, kind, and always open to understanding how all players respond to his guitars regardless of heir ability. He began sending instruments on a road shows to professional players for feedback one of which ended up with Martin Simpson... and the rest is history as they say

Then Rory build a few instruments for the Holy Grail show in Berlin a few years back and I got to play them.... For me this was the signal to get my pennies together. One instrument stood out that was simply stunning, malaysian blackwood Tirga Beag... I should bought it... but alas no funds at the time (big house restoration ongoing), but I placed a deposit and managed to bag a build slot for 2021 ;-)

I met Rory just over a week ago as the build will start later in August with an anticipated Delivery at year end (Hopefully a Christmas present for myself)

Because of my rubbish playing we are going for the Oreval as this larger model will suit my needs a little better.

Last edited by FrankCousins; 05-01-2022 at 01:42 PM. Reason: New info in title
Old 07-28-2021, 01:14 AM

Default My first build referred to above

IMG_1494 by frankscousin, on Flickr

It still survives, but the best thing about building one for yourself is you realise how talented and skilled professional builders must be ;-)

Last edited by FrankCousins; 09-24-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:17 AM

Default My bass build that Rory provided finishing services for

Anyway whilst waiting for the build to start..... I did have a go at an electric bass for a friend... a great learning experience in how to cover up and save from mistakes...

bass pics 002 by frankscousin, on Flickr

bass pics 005 by frankscousin, on Flickr

Last edited by FrankCousins; 09-24-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:22 AM

Default The Taran Oreval spec ;-)

So onto the main event:

Build will start in 3 weeks the or so ready hopefully in December

Model: Oreval
Top: Adirondack
B&S: Brazilian or Madagascan rosewood TBD (see pics below)
Neck: Cuban mahogany
Details to follow as build begins

Last edited by FrankCousins; 09-08-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:27 AM

Default Alternatively, we may use this 4piece D Baronii

IMG_3431 by frankscousin, on Flickr
Old 07-28-2021, 02:18 AM

Congratulations! It's really exciting to welcome another member of the Taran build club (trying to make this a thing). My build's in progress at the moment with the woodworking close to completion. I just need to get a few minutes to load some more pictures up here.

Good luck with your final decisions - whichever way you go, I'm sure it will be a spectacular guitar.

And good job with your own builds - I'd be delighted if I could make something like that.

I'll look forward to following along while the paint dries on mine!
Old 07-28-2021, 02:29 AM

Sound great, exciting times! Look forward to seeing your pics... what are your specs as I know Rory has several ready for spray booth ;-)
Old 07-28-2021, 02:47 AM

Pics and background at https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=615579

I'm getting a Tirga Mhor with cutaway and fan fret in Swiss moon spruce with EIR back and sides. Neck is Santos Mahogany. Detailing in blue and green. Enjoy your chat with Rory.
Old 07-28-2021, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Pics and background at https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=615579

I'm getting a Tirga Mhor with cutaway and fan fret in Swiss moon spruce with EIR back and sides. Neck is Santos Mahogany. Detailing in blue and green. Enjoy your chat with Rory.
Nice! - I saw your guitar last week then ;-) looking very nice indeed.The colour detailing he does is really cool.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:18 AM

Well, final specs now sorted and Rory will begin build in next couple of weeks.

Model: Taran Oreval
B+S: Madagascan Rosewood (D. Baronii)
Soundboard: Mastergrade Adi + Adi bracing
Neck - Reclaimed Cuban mahogany
Fingerboard: Madagascan rosewood
Bridge: Brazilian rosewood
Bindings: ebony/ebano/
Headplate (Front and back), rosette and bevel in Scottish burl elm (hot sand fade)
Purflings in maple/purpleheart
Soundhole rosette" custom 2 rings in Scottish burl elm (hot sand fade) + single 0.8mm pink paua abalone
Gotoh 510s in gold with ebony buttons
Gold fret markers and logo

... cant wait to play this ;-)

Last edited by FrankCousins; 09-24-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCousins View Post
Well, final specs now sorted and Rory will begin build in next couple of weeks.

Model: Taran Oreval
B+S: Madagascan Rosewood (D. Baronii) - (Brazilian sets were both too small)
Soundboard: Mastergrade Adi
Neck - Reclaimed Cuban mahogany
Fingerboard: Madagascan rosewood
Bridge: Brazilian rosewood
Bindings: ebony/ebano
Headplate (Front and back), rosette and bevel in Scottish burl elm (hot sand fade)
Purflings in maple/purpleheart
Soundhole rosette" custom 2 rings in Scottish burl elm (hot sand fade) + single 0.8mm pink paua abalone
Gotoh 510s in gold with ebony buttons
Gold fret markers and logo

... cant wait to play this ;-)
I'm sure that will turn out rather nicely! I'm just surprised that Rory's letting you put some bling in there. Must have been swayed by the word "pink". Exciting few months ahead for you now.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I'm just surprised that Rory's letting you put some bling in there. Must have been swayed by the word "pink". Exciting few months ahead for you now.
Haha... It was hard work persuading him! Its only a tiny bit of bling and colour matches the purple heart purpling... but I think he us humouring me ;-)
Old 09-06-2021, 07:15 AM

Well the first official pics as Rory is preparing some of the burl for the rosette and head plates... :-)

IMG_1138 by frankscousin, on Flickr

IMG_1139 by frankscousin, on Flickr

IMG_1140 by frankscousin, on Flickr
Old 09-06-2021, 07:17 AM

Beat you to the update by 1 minute! Lovely to see it starting. I'm going to enjoy watching yours come together while the paint on mine is drying.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:27 AM

Update in that the Delbergia Baronii back is now joined ;-)

242201502_126194059687254_3138838858030100790_n by frankscousin, on Flickr

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
dowling, taran guitars