The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 PM

This one is my life's story.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1027943
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM

I've got about four alt tuning instrumental songs I've written in the past couple of months that I think are better but the song that moves me the deepest is my first, "Derry's Song" a song about one of my Border Collies who was shot and killed outside our ranch gate last July. When she was shot, my twenty hours a week of steady practicing dropped to nothing and I didn't know if I was going to be able to pick up the guitar again. Starting the song about her brought me back to the living, so to speak.

The song has been finished, after umpteen thousand revisions, for about the last two months but I still find myself tweaking the dynamics here and there. This morning when I worked on it, it still brought tears to my eyes when I finished. "Derry's Song" may not mean anything to anybody else, and it may sound like crapola, but its the best way I could honor a dear friend and tell her how much I miss her.

(That's her kissing my wife in my sig pic.)
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster

Last edited by jay7347; 03-21-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM

If I've had one that has helped pick me up a few times it has to be Desert Ride. Written as an analogy of a Baha motorcycle race it was meant mainly to remind me and listeners not to give up on impossible situations. Nay sayers will always be around to tell you to give up no matter what you try.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_802795

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83
Old 03-21-2011, 02:55 PM

My fav is a country type parody song called Vh-1. An "artists" view of having risen to the top, then crashed and burned due excessive lifestyle. Based of course not personal experience, but countless Vh-1 "Behind the music" programs. Spouse abuse,divorce, drug & alcohol, groupies, trouble w/police, destroyed hotel rooms/wrecked cars, bad managers & record deals. It's got all.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM

The only one I've got. This past winter I was going through an old family scrapbook that belonged to my mother and I found an eight verse hand written poem by my great grandmother. She wrote this about her oldest son who had a stroke and had been incapacitated. He was a banker so part of the poem reflects his working days. The remainder deals with his accepting his fate and how he dealt with knowing that he had accepted Christ as his Saviour. He died in August, 1938 about two years after the stroke. She had written the poem to be read at his funeral. At least I have something to date it by, not sure how long before he passed that she wrote it.

I used five of the verses of the poem and put chords and music to it, using one of the five twice as a chorus. This past Sunday I performed it in church which was my first public attempt. Other than being extremely nervous, I think I did OK, seemed like lots of folks enjoyed it.

Name of the song is I'll Slip Away.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM

You know, I got started later in life with playing and writing songs, so I have only penned a dozen or so. This is one of my favorites simply because it all seemed to come together pretty well and it's a fun song. It's entitled, It's A Great Time To Be A Man, which is self explanatory.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6130437
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Some really great stuff here, I enjoyed them all.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:33 AM

Default I still like this song of yours!

I heard this years ago on this forum and still like it! Thanks for sharing it with the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
There are some very nice tunes here - hope to hear more of them!

I do not know why, but I think this is my favorite song I ever wrote up til now. It is the song I "meant" to write when I wrote it, if that makes sense. I was really into trying to learn the double-bass type style of fingerpicking, and just always liked it for some reason. It is not a song a lot of people ever really liked if they hear it, but it is the one I like best.

Also, the video was fun to make so stupid:
Sometimes Suddenly Somewhere Else
Old 11-17-2021, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Songs, such as they are, come to me in a flash prompted
by chance or circumstance... I rode my motorcycle to
Tennessee this weekend on back roads... somewhere
along the way I passed The Blistered Chicken saloon.

I was takin' a lickin'
at the Blistered Chicken
every card I drew was bad
I was cursin' my luck
when my friend named Chuck
said, "That's the best luck you've ever had!"
I said, "Wait a minute, Chuckie
if you think that this is lucky
then I'll trade you every card in my hand
and when you lose the pot
you're gonna lose a lot
and then you'll understand!

-Mike
Old 11-17-2021, 07:06 AM

Default I wrote this last new year's eve "Twenty Twenty"

Twenty, twenty, It sure wasn’t funny
I lost my job and most of my money

And all around, this strange disease
It brought our planet to its knees

I can’t go out, I work from home
Just talk to people on the phone

Everyone here is wearing a mask
The one’s that won’t get shamed and trashed

We had some riots in the streets
We had burning buildings with no police

Racial tension was everywhere
Some say our election wasn’t fair

Ol’ Joe Biden, he won without try’n
His son got paid for doing some spy’n

I think when it all is said and done
It’s got to be better in twenty twenty-one!
Old 11-17-2021, 07:20 AM

I have many that I really like, call it a "daily favorite". Just finished a CD ("That Old Guitar") of my favorite originals and am selling it here and there. Nothing is on the internet, sorry. I'm old-fashioned; people have to actually contact me to get it. Maybe my personal favorite is "Wheels, Keep A'Turning Round" for its easy feeling and harmony. For lyrics, maybe "I'm Happy", a paean to my wife, written when she was away on a vacation with our daughters. For humor, "Pat & Mike's Fight". For singing with others, "The Way Back Home". For sheer musical beauty, perhaps "Married" or "I'm Loving You Still". It seems those that know my music all have their own favorites, all for different reasons as my music is quite varied.

It was a lot of fun recording it, adding the various instruments and deciding where they fit or didn't, figuring out the harmonies, and just working with friends who assisted me on parts, who played instruments I didn't or sang certain songs better than I can. I definitely racked up more studio time than on the other albums I've recorded.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:01 AM

My favorite? Hard to say. This is the one I do most and is a good introduction to me. I've made 3 videos of it and this is the latest to celebrate 1 year ago that I wrote it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5yKZdCSXY

But, I like the lyrics to this one a lot, my latest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=360LGtGVssk
Old 11-17-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
Whats piece have you written that gives you the most personal satisfaction rather than commercial success?.
Geo
When I was doing theater we were doing a musical and the director thought that at one point one of the characters, who had gone through a major life altering change, needed to sing a song that wasn't in the script. So he turned to me and asked if I could write one. Sure no problem.

The next day I sent a demo of the song to rehearsal (that I was going to miss) and both the director and the company were floored by it; it was incorporated into the show.

I don't play it since the lyrics are kind of the specific to the situation in the show and the music has that Broadway vibe to it - it ain't gonna go over too well in the venues I play.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:45 AM

I tend to only put up my own compositions on my Youtube channel. I've got a ton of tunes and songs to put up in video form, I just have to put the effort out. Sometimes they are topical in nature, as "Bernie Madeoff With The Money Blues" or "Ballad of Stormy Monday", but sometimes more general in nature like "Bird And Feather", recently added. It's probably my favorite at this time.

"Bird And Feather":

Old 11-17-2021, 10:53 AM

When my marriage fell apart, leading to separation and eventually divorce, I spent many long months trying to figure out what happened...what caused two people so close to drift apart. Emotionally in turmoil, I searched deep within myself to come to grips with this traumatic event in my life.

I determined that a key part of every relationship is honesty. You simply must have complete trust and honesty between each other. Without this, insidious emotions can creep in and poison the relationship. Honesty deepens intimacy and trust, strengthening the relationship.

This is so important, I even wrote a song about it to help me deal with my feelings and the whole situation. I called it:

"Yes, I do think you're fat"

It's really helped me. Alot.
Pedalboard: EB Volume->Tuner->Gate->Soul Food->HoF->Looper

"Let there be songs, to fill the air"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write