The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-22-2021, 12:29 PM

Default Rain Song

Hello, I'm new to the forum. This looks like a great place to learn and exchange ideas.

I'm an intermediate player - self taught for the most part so all kinds of errors in technique but it's coming along.

I was wondering if anyone knew a quick and dirty chord progression for Rain Song without having the bother of changing tuning?

I love the sound Pagey gets but it is a pain to change back and forth from standard. I could probably figure this out for myself but it would take forever and no guarantee I would get it right.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2021, 12:45 PM

No. I tried several times over the years to play it in standard. Even found a tutorial that used very complicated chords and different voicing all up and down the neck. It never even came close until I put it the proper tuning (D G C G C D). Sorry to tell you but I haven't found any other way and I've tried.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Not the answer I was looking for but I kind of suspected that was the case. Good to get others experience with this before I wasted bunch of time fooling around with it.

Cheers.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

WOW! you brought some memories back with that post, thanks!

I havent played it for many, many years but was in love with it for quite a spell as well. I had tried learning it back when i was 17 using the alt tuning and then a friend of mine came to visit that was doing his masters thesis for music in Ottawa and said " why you trying so hard" he showed me how to play it in standard tuning and it was a eureka moment, it was very simple yet the key was the strumming patterns and mutings and the chords were very djangoish most were only 2 finger chordings except for the poly A slide at the fifth to 3rd. ill haul out my 12 string electric later this week and try to remember it if I can, unless someone else posts something in the interim. Page was an amazing sessions player pre zeppelin/yardbirds timeline, and was master at cheats/simplicity (some may call it "dirty" playing but it was beautiful imo.) Rain song/bron-y-aur/bron yar stomp/ since ive been loving you/Friends/etc

good luck and keep playing with it

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 11-22-2021, 05:13 PM

Thanks. Pagey played on some great studio records before YB or Zep alright. Including I Can't Explain, if I remember correctly. If you do remember a simple progression with a few cheats, I would love to give it a try.

Cheers from BC.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:15 PM

This is why you need at least one guitar for each tuning you plan to use.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:24 AM

The problem is how close you want to get to the actual sound of the original. You can use the same chords in another tuning, but only in the sense that that will have the same notes in them.

I.e. the chord name only tells you the notes required, it doesn't tell you the "voicing" - the order the notes go in, and which if any are doubled. "Voicing" is essentially the same as "shape" on a guitar, and of course that's highly dependent on tuning.

Voicing naturally makes a lot of difference to how a chord sounds, but the way chord symbols are normally used assumes the player (on piano or guitar) will choose the most suitable voicing for the context. Often, the notes can go in a few different voicings and the chord will still function the same way, which is why symbol shorthand doesn't need to show the voicing. (Any kind of G7 will lead to any kind of C.)

In the case of Rain Song, it's quite possible to play the chord changes (most of them anyway) in EADGBE. E.g. the intro is:

|G - - - |Gmaj7 - - - |G7 - - - |Ebmaj7/G - - - |

|Gadd9 G - - - |G (add9 (sus4) |Ebmaj7b5 - - - |G (add9 (sus4) |Ebmaj7b5 - - - |

The one weird chord there "Ebmaj7b5" - can be played (just about) as x-6-7-0-3-(3), with an easier but less effective shape as x-6-7-7-8-x. (It's like a rootless Cm6/9... if that helps ...)
Old 11-23-2021, 10:11 AM

Man, that's awesome, thanks.

That gives me something to work with and two voicings for the one chord I would struggle with.

I was toying around with that watery, melancholy sound you get from Mistral Wind as a bass run or even a fill. I am thinking you could fit the F, Fmaj7, Asus, Dm even just arpeggiated in there too just to make it interesting.

Not that I would ever for a moment suggest stealing from Heart, of course.

At any rate, excellent. Much appreciated
Old 11-27-2021, 11:44 PM

I don’t claim this to be perfect but it’s best I can do at this time & I’m okay with what I have - if it helps great, if not carry on genius piece of guitar work.

https://youtu.be/fCagzNX6WxA
Old 11-28-2021, 06:40 PM

Thanks for everyone who replied. I got some great ideas here.

I found this to probably be the best video instruction for playing in standard tuning:

https://youtu.be/zQzlNmnwwWI

Still not as good in tonality as you get with alternate tuning but I was looking for quick and dirty and I think this is as good as it is going to get.

These things are clear to all from time to time........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write