The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-22-2021, 04:34 PM

Default Transcribe+ (the IOS app, not Transcribe! for Windows)

Has anyone here used the Transcribe+ app? I just bought it today and very cool feature set. I'm not talking about the Windows program Transcribe! (which I've used since 2009) by Seventh String Software but the unrelated app for IOS.

Unlike Transcribe! it doesn't do note or chord "guesses" and its EQ function is very rudimentary unlike the fairly complete toolkit in Transcribe!.

But I really like the touch/drag/swipe implementation of the basic playing, looping and scrubbing features and basic slowdown and pitch change (which work just as well as the same things in Transcribe!). I particularly like being able to just put my fingertip on the waveform and scrub it back and forth to listen to a few notes.

But the really cool feature is you can take any track and separate it into four "stems". One for isolated vocals, one for isolated drums, one for isolated bass and one for everything that's left after that. It's not absolutely perfect but it splits stuff out pretty well in my limited testing so far.

It does cost $15 from the Apple Store. You can download it for free but until you pay it only lets you work with the first 45 seconds on each track.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 11-22-2021, 05:59 PM

Can you transcribe YouTube video? I know the windows version you can. I bought amazing slow downer and found it doesn’t work for videos!🤦🏻
Old 11-22-2021, 06:12 PM

If you can download the video onto your iPhone or iPad it can do the audio. It has a window next to the waveform that shows the video.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
If you can download the video onto your iPhone or iPad it can do the audio. It has a window next to the waveform that shows the video.
Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 11-23-2021, 06:15 PM

As a long-time user of the other Transcribe(!), I just checked this one out (on a youtube demo), and I'm very impressed with the instrument split function in particular. I never use the EQ function on Transcribe! and there's a few other bells and whistles on it I wouldn't miss. It looks like you can mark up the waveform too, which is essential for me (sections measures and beats).

Unfortunately I'm on Windows, otherwise I'd try it out.
I have an Android phone, and I think there's an android version, but I'd hate to work with an app like that on such a small screen. I'm used to desktop, in fact I now use two monitors when learning songs.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
As a long-time user of the other Transcribe(!), I just checked this one out (on a youtube demo), and I'm very impressed with the instrument split function in particular. I never use the EQ function on Transcribe! and there's a few other bells and whistles on it I wouldn't miss. It looks like you can mark up the waveform too, which is essential for me (sections measures and beats).

Unfortunately I'm on Windows, otherwise I'd try it out.
I have an Android phone, and I think there's an android version, but I'd hate to work with an app like that on such a small screen. I'm used to desktop, in fact I now use two monitors when learning songs.
I'm in kind of the opposite situation. My music room is set up very cozy for playing, looking at stuff on my music stand and having a comfortable place to sit (where I can see out of the window). But I'm kind hemmed in by a piano and a wall so there's no good place to put my laptop within easy reach.

So I was looking around for an iPad app alternative to Transcribe! since I have an old iPad Air mounted at eye level on a gooseneck floor stand. I use it as a metronome, to play snippets of music or to capture quickie recordings of something I'm working out. Being able to do slow down and pitch change on something that's literally never more than two feet from me when I'm playing makes it worth having to deal with the small screen.

The user interface on Transcribe+ is pared down enough that there's not nearly so much detail to manipulate as with the main screen on Transcribe! on the laptop. So the iPad Air screen is just barely big enough it doesn't seem too fiddly. I wish I had one of those big 11" or 12.9" iPad Pros but those suckers cost as much as a decent guitar!
Old 11-24-2021, 02:23 PM

I'm kind of taking my own thread off-topic but after typing my last reply I went and looked through all the apps on the iPad I use while playing. In the past few months I've tried several tuner apps, more than several metronomes (at least eight or nine) and a few others. But almost all of them I just used for a few minutes or a few days than moved on.

The ones I've actually used within the past week or so and/or ones that have been worth paying for:

METRONOME
Dr. Betotte ($10)

TUNER
[abandoned the apps, using my decade-old Peterson Stroboclip]

SLOWDOWN/TRANSCRIPTION
Transcribe+ ($15)
Anytune Pro+ ($15)
Chord AI (currently trying free version, considering $15 Pro version)

BACKING/RHYTHM TRACKS
iRealPro ($15)

MUSIC LISTENING
iTunes (built-in to IOS)
Bandcamp

RECORDING AUDIO/VIDEO
Camera (built-in to IOS)
Old 11-24-2021, 06:12 PM

I use AudioStretch for IOS. Does the slow down and looping thing via a very clean interface. Videos too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write