The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 12:22 AM

Default What have you guys done after you’ve found “the one”?

Hi, I am interested in knowing what you guys said you would do before you found the one vs what you guys have actually done after finding it.

Specifically for those who were looking to find one and only one perfect guitar for them, have you guys kept searching for another one or have you been totally content?

I am fairly sure that mass produced overpriced or not, I really do like the Taylor sound having played Collings and Santa Cruz and other similarly priced brands. I am wondering if I somehow one day were to acquire a Taylor 912 or 914 unit that was a particularly standout example, I’d be done. Every time I have heard one I have thought, that’s exactly what I want but never could afford it. It’s what I think I want and think I might be satisfied.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

Default What have you guys done after you’ve found “the one”?

After you find “the one”, you go looking for another “the one”. Wash, rinse and repeat. & hopefully, you play a lot of guitar along the way.

If I had spent more time practicing and less time searching for “the one”, I would’ve saved money and be a better guitar player.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:52 AM

I've found "the one" about 20 times.
It's nice.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:58 AM

Martin HD-35 - Platemate (best $25 ever spent) & titanium bridge pins. OMG.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Over the past twenty years I have had four occasions where I was able to find and buy a guitar that just blew me away. The changes over that period were my ear becoming more discerning, reaching a better understanding of the characteristics of a guitar that suited my playing, and my opportunities to try out a wide variety of different brands over time. Each of the four has been special but the more recent ones are better suited to my current needs.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:33 AM

made the credit card payments...
Old 08-09-2020, 02:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I've found "the one" about 20 times.
It's nice.

Enjoy the ride.
+ 1. That's funny but true!

I found it too....but not as many times.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:40 AM

After much searching I found the one by ordering custom.

My intention was to get down to one very special guitar. So not just, "the one," but "the one and only." And this guitar truly did not disappoint.

However, I felt insecure taking my "one and only" to lessons, to friends' houses, on the subway, traveling, etc. So I pretty quickly bought another, smaller and somewhat less expensive guitar. And now that one has become as important to me as "the one." So I guess I have "the one" and "the other one."

These days I'm not as promiscuous as I once was, going from one guitar to the next, but I can't say I don't have a roving eye from time to time.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:37 AM

I found “the one” after I bought 4 guitars. Selling the other ones and I’m trying to find a better appearance version of my “the one”. It’s a Taylor dreadnought 1996 710 Engelmann/BRW with fine straight grains. It has the old more square Dreadnought shape compare to the new dreadnought shape. I play fingerstyle but like dreads. This one comes with Engelmann top and from Taylor. They’re known for making good fingerstyle guitars. I’m super satisfied with the sound, it is extremely loud, even louder than Martins (which my 810E couldn’t do it for me). The 810e is a good one for fingerstyle players that like dreads like me too. You should consider it. Not boomy like martin but very crisp and punchy. Back to my “the one”, I got it from a local shop for a super good deal. Now I’m trying out new Taylor GA and Dreads with BRW back&sides for a better look. If they have the same or better sound quality (not likely Gonna happen, mine is already aged, and it sounds superior after I compared it to a bunch of guitars) then I’ll buy it

Last edited by Rinaz; 08-09-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
After you find “the one”, you go looking for another “the one”. Wash, rinse and repeat. & hopefully, you play a lot of guitar along the way.

If I had spent more time practicing and less time searching for “the one”, I would’ve saved money and be a better guitar player.
Preee-cisely!

1999 - Collings DS2h. 12 fret EIR dread.
2005 - matching Collings 0002h - 12 fret Audit.
2010 - Collings Ds1 - 12 fret hog dread
2011 - Collings DS1ASB -12 fret hog with adi and sunburst.
2011- Martin D12-20 (Collings don't make 12 fret 12 string dreads.

and so it goes.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
Hi, I am interested in knowing what you guys said you would do before you found the one vs what you guys have actually done after finding it.

Specifically for those who were looking to find one and only one perfect guitar for them, have you guys kept searching for another one or have you been totally content?

I am fairly sure that mass produced overpriced or not, I really do like the Taylor sound having played Collings and Santa Cruz and other similarly priced brands. I am wondering if I somehow one day were to acquire a Taylor 912 or 914 unit that was a particularly standout example, I’d be done. Every time I have heard one I have thought, that’s exactly what I want but never could afford it. It’s what I think I want and think I might be satisfied.
I personally think “the one” is a mythical notion that causes guitar players to waste vast amounts money and time. There are a ton of amazing instruments out there. Don’t over complicate it like some seem to...That would be my advice...Advice that is not very “romantic”, but that I think is more realistic...

I personally think that any guitar buying behaviour that takes over the playing aspect is missing the point, but then again some may enjoy the buying and selling more than the playing...which is completely fine I guess if that’s what you’re into...

Taylor it is if that’s what you’re gravitating towards. I used to be all about the Taylor brand until V class. Best of luck.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-09-2020, 04:30 AM

As long as different tonewood combinations exist, there is no such thing as the "one" - more like the "ten."
Old 08-09-2020, 05:43 AM

Played it...!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:13 AM

I've never searched specifically for "the one". I have played a small few guitars which at first strum blew me away. I don't own any of them. There were only two in this group that I could have bought (only the sums were more than double what I'd ever spent before and I was not satisfied with the appearance).

That said, I really like what I have now and think I should probably sell a couple, only can't bring myself to do it. One of them taught me a lesson: at first strum, it was "Holy cow; this sounds amazing!!!" About a month later, I realized it was not amazing, not even slightly. I keep it around for other reasons only - and wonder how many of those that blew me away would be like this if I had played them long enough.

So, I do not actively look, though I keep my eyes and ears open, and wonder if I will come across something noticeably better than what I already have.

What happens most often is that several things change. One's ear becomes more discerning. This takes time and is often accompanied by a rise in disposable income. And also for many, their musical interests shift over time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:31 AM

You look for the next 'one'. The search is part of the fun.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion