The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-15-2023, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Luthier who likes working with Wenge?

I am looking for luthiers who have experience working with wenge, who are willing to put up with its tendency to splinter. Anyone out there have any leads?
Old 11-15-2023, 07:08 PM

Redir on this forum built one for me and it was beautiful. I suggest ebony binding with dyed red maple purlfling, very striking. You could call it beautiful I guess. Until then I thought that wood made the sound, then I discovered that its the builder.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Redir on this forum built one for me and it was beautiful. I suggest ebony binding with dyed red maple purlfling, very striking. You could call it beautiful I guess. Until then I thought that wood made the sound, then I discovered that its the builder.
Do you have pics of this guitar anywhere? Would love to see em. Were you happy with the sound?
Old 11-15-2023, 07:29 PM

I don't think you will find many luthiers that would refuse working with Wenge if you wanted it on your guitar. It's got deep pores and does splinter but it still is way better to work with than a lot of other tonewoods. I've only built with it a couple of times but it is a wonderful wood choice for a steel string guitar, IMO. The grain doesn't have a lot of contrast between the dark black grain and the brown grain but I don't think that is a negative at all. It is a fantastic choice for a modern aesthetic and I personally feel it is one of the most attractive woods out there.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 11-15-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:31 PM

Dont know if I have pics or not. Sound is personal. It had a good traditional sound, fit and finish were 1st rate. He does hide glue and french polish with a standard Martin style bracing. The Guy is very good to work with, very patient. I would recommend him certainly, not because we are buddies, but cause he does a good job.
Old 11-15-2023, 07:42 PM

I don't think you need a specific name, I believe they would all work with Wenge.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
I don't think you will find many luthiers that would refuse working with Wenge if you wanted it on your guitar. It's got deep pores and does splinter but it still is way better to work with than a lot of other tonewoods. I've only built with it a couple of times but it is a wonderful wood choice for a steel string guitar, IMO. The grain doesn't have a lot of contrast between the dark black grain and the brown grain but I don't think that is a negative at all. It is a fantastic choice for a modern aesthetic and I personally feel it is one of the most attractive woods out there.

That is gorgeous.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:27 PM

Stefan Sobell is excellent with wenge.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Stefan Sobell is excellent with wenge.
Thank you.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

I don't want to come ut as tooting my own horn here, but I actually enjoy working with wenge. Love the wood grain, love its properties and don't mind the challenge of splintering. I've based three builds in a row on wenge wood scheme and was actually thinking about building my next spec guitar almost completely out of it.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
I am looking for luthiers who have experience working with wenge, who are willing to put up with its tendency to splinter. Anyone out there have any leads?
I've built several guitars with Wenge and will continue to use it as I love its sonic properties.
Old 11-16-2023, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I think your title is perfectly phrased. I think finding a particular luthier who enjoys working with a particular wood (especially one that has a rep) is important. If you have not yet see this thread, I highly recommend it: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=676642
Max Spohn is a very talented luthier in Bavaria Germany who works Wenge beautifully. And enthusiastically, which is what you want in a builder. Just as he does with maple, which is what I am expecting from him within the month.
Max has a signature, minimalist look, featuring highly unique rosette designs and inlay work. The quality of his wood stock is extraordinary. He travels to the the saw mill in Switzerland to hand/ear select his European Moon Spruce tops. I understand that Max identifies Ray Kraut as a mentor. Certainly not a doppelganger sound, but echoes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDbC...BvaG4gZ3VpdGFy

I should also add that Max has been perfect to deal with, despite the distance.

Good luck with your search and plans. My Spohn in maple is my first commission. It has been a uniquely enjoyable experience.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 11-16-2023 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:51 AM

Brondel built me an A2 Essential a dozen years ago of Wenge. Since I had 3 guitars with Brz, I wanted the sound at a lower price. Both Sobell and Somogyi were reporting its tonal qualities sounding like Brz
Laurent was set on Cocobolo until he cut a piece of Wenge and discovered a pleasing tap tone. My guitar was his first Wenge build, and other clients chose it as well.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

I’m just starting a size 0 12 fret with wenge back and sides.

Oneida, NY

www.gillanderguitars.com

Instagram: @gillanderguitars
www.instagram.com/gillanderguitars

Facebook: Gillander Guitars.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...ibextid=LQQJ4d
Old 11-17-2023, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Still trying to educate myself about lumber for stringed instruments.

Assuming a vertical grain Wenge back, would it be common to use solid Wenge sides, or would they "typically?" be laminated? if so or either way, would sides be VG or could they be some other cut, even down to rift/45 deg?

How thick is a Dread back likely to be?

Is it unreasonable to wonder if a cello would sound good with a Wenge back?

Thank you.
smt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop