The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-02-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
The most famous Cream live version of a song is Crossroads. All the videos I have seen from 1968 show Clapton using the red 335 on that song.

Also the Beano album on a burst Les Paul is the most ground breaking tone work done by Clapton is almost certainly done with old bumblebee caps that were in the burst era Les Pauls.

+
I liked Beano and the live Crossroads tone, but...

Their most popular song, "Sunshine Of Your Love" and most important, the one that DEFINED the "Woman Tone" was recorded with the Fool SG with the ceramic capacitors. Funny because a lot of people selling PIO caps say they really get the Woman Tone.

sounds pretty great to me...

And I feel he evolved from the Beano Album with Cream. I also love his 1964 Firebird I tone which was also ceramic caps!
Old 07-02-2023, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don’t think they do a whole lot for the tone. That’s in the pickups, equipment you plat through and your fingers.
I agree. "High end" caps are unnecessary. Paper-in-oil in particular make me laugh--that technology is completely out-dated.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Well this guy thinks PIO Caps belong in the trash. This was a link the Ron Kirn posted...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67M7fsbLUIU&t=2s
Ron Kirn is a master builder, and he's built guitars for some great players.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
Ron Kirn is a master builder, and he's built guitars for some great players.

The link posted in your reply shows that the guy thinks you should replace old PIO caps because of DC leakage. The OP is not advocating using vintage out of spec PIO caps, he just says he prefers the sound of PIO caps over cheaper ceramic caps. There are PIO caps that are available new made to the same specs as the vintage PIO caps (ie Luxe, Mojotone, Magneto Design, Jensen, etc). And as for them being outdated technology who says that? They are just one of many styles of caps that are available and many builders of amps and guitars prefer them. As for Ron Kirn's opinion he is in a minority of master builders that feel this way about PIO caps, especially those building and chasing vintage tone like Tom Bartlett, Gil Yaron, Ken McKay, Johan Gustavsson, etc.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The link posted in your reply shows that the guy thinks you should replace old PIO caps because of DC leakage. The OP is not advocating using vintage out of spec PIO caps, he just says he prefers the sound of PIO caps over cheaper ceramic caps. There are PIO caps that are available new made to the same specs as the vintage PIO caps (ie Luxe, Mojotone, Magneto Design, Jensen, etc). And as for them being outdated technology who says that? They are just one of many styles of caps that are available and many builders of amps and guitars prefer them. As for Ron Kirn's opinion he is in a minority of master builders that feel this way about PIO caps, especially those building and chasing vintage tone like Tom Bartlett, Gil Yaron, Ken McKay, Johan Gustavsson, etc.
In a general electrical engineering sense, PIO caps simply are outdated technology. Other newer options work better in terms of general properties (function over wider temp ranges, can be built to wider voltage ranges, can be built to higher and lower capacitances, can be built with less variability, can be built more cheaply, etc), and that has been true at least since the 1960s. Oil immersion was still somewhat used into the 1980s for high voltage applications, but even that corner case has died out with newer better tech becoming available (and guitars and amps are not high voltage anyway)

The only application keeping PIO caps alive at all AFAIK are guitar traditionalists and boutique small-scale manufacturers like Luxe who have re-introduced “vintage spec” ones to cater to that corner market. Which is why they cost what they cost — there is no economy of scale to PIO caps any more. Anyone building electrical things for any other market than “vintage correct guitar” who is needing a capacitor will select something newer that is cheaper and has overall better electrical and manufacturing properties…
Old 07-03-2023, 01:06 PM

I recall reading up on the capacitor types but that was years ago and I tend to forget things that are not all that important. I do not recall any electrical specification that makes oil and paper better. If anyone has a technical explanation why they are better I would take that into account. Until then I put a big question mark on the pixie dust caps.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

The cheapest possible mass produced component that meets the bare minimum spec is not what I’m interested in for my guitars and amps. If I was I could easily get some $100 transistor piece of crap amp at GC and a made in Malaysia Strat. I makes no sense to buy a $6k guitar and then rationalize how to cheap out on a few parts.

+
Old 07-03-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingfingers View Post
In a general electrical engineering sense, PIO caps simply are outdated technology. Other newer options work better in terms of general properties (function over wider temp ranges, can be built to wider voltage ranges, can be built to higher and lower capacitances, can be built with less variability, can be built more cheaply, etc), and that has been true at least since the 1960s. Oil immersion was still somewhat used into the 1980s for high voltage applications, but even that corner case has died out with newer better tech becoming available (and guitars and amps are not high voltage anyway)

The only application keeping PIO caps alive at all AFAIK are guitar traditionalists and boutique small-scale manufacturers like Luxe who have re-introduced “vintage spec” ones to cater to that corner market. Which is why they cost what they cost — there is no economy of scale to PIO caps any more. Anyone building electrical things for any other market than “vintage correct guitar” who is needing a capacitor will select something newer that is cheaper and has overall better electrical and manufacturing properties…
And guitar traditionalists still insist they can hear the difference when chasing the tone of the vintage guitars, so as I say, they are not outdated technology when used in guitar applications. I have a pretty accurate Sencore capacitance meter available to me so I can measure values (and DC leakage if testing older caps), so I will still be able to match values before I test caps in the actual guitar. And as I stated earlier, I like to alligator clamp caps into the circuit, and listen with my own ears to hear any differences, and more than once, I've chosen a PIO cap over a modern cap. There just seemed to me a smoothness on the top end that made me choose the cap. And the PIO caps don't win all the time in my tests. I've had good luck with some modern caps too.

I've been doing guitar repair for over 40 years, and I have hundreds of guitars on my bench, so this is not just a random sample I'm talking about. I personally own over 50 electric guitars, and have done pickup swaps on over half of them too. I'm a tinkerer and tone junkie all wrapped up into one.
I keep pretty good picture records of guitar repairs and as you can see I use all sorts of caps...

I use my tone controls when playing guitar. I very rarely have them wide open at 10 so to say. And I think that's when cap materials/values come into play more.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:32 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
And guitar traditionalists still insist they can hear the difference when chasing the tone of the vintage guitars, so as I say, they are not outdated technology when used in guitar applications. I have a pretty accurate Sencore capacitance meter available to me so I can measure values (and DC leakage if testing older caps), so I will still be able to match values before I test caps in the actual guitar. And as I stated earlier, I like to alligator clamp caps into the circuit, and listen with my own ears to hear any differences, and more than once, I've chosen a PIO cap over a modern cap. There just seemed to me a smoothness on the top end that made me choose the cap. And the PIO caps don't win all the time in my tests. I've had good luck with some modern caps too.

I've been doing guitar repair for over 40 years, and I have hundreds of guitars on my bench, so this is not just a random sample I'm talking about. I personally own over 50 electric guitars, and have done pickup swaps on over half of them too. I'm a tinkerer and tone junkie all wrapped up into one.
I keep pretty good picture records of guitar repairs and as you can see I use all sorts of caps...

I use my tone controls when playing guitar. I very rarely have them wide open at 10 so to say. And I think that's when cap materials/values come into play more.
It's a good thing I don't show my soldering... You have some beautiful clean wiring going on there!
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 07-03-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
It's a good thing I don't show my soldering... You have some beautiful clean wiring going on there!
Thanks, I guess practice makes perfect, but I'm far from there!
Old 07-03-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The cheapest possible mass produced component that meets the bare minimum spec is not what I’m interested in for my guitars and amps. If I was I could easily get some $100 transistor piece of crap amp at GC and a made in Malaysia Strat. I makes no sense to buy a $6k guitar and then rationalize how to cheap out on a few parts.

+
Not the point. The point is if the expensive part does more than the cheap part.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Not the point. The point is if the expensive part does more than the cheap part.
In my case, yes the expensive part did a better job for the guitars that I chose them for. But let me be clear, I don't just pick parts because of their expense, unless I'm restoring a vintage piece for somebody, and they want as close to original as I can get. In that case, I'll try to source an NOS cap and test it to make sure it's in spec before I install it.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:47 PM

I wouldn’t begin to question what another hears in regards to tone but there are a couple of misconceptions I would like to address. PIO caps are rarely used in modern amps. The vast majority of capacitors are various film types. This has been true for 60 years. Also, ceramic caps were and still are wildly used in tube amps. Nearly all of the classic amps from the 50’s and 60’s had ceramic caps. This includes Fender blackface amps that used ceramics on the phase inverter input through which the entire single passed.
Old 07-03-2023, 08:20 PM

Taper does not affect tone and the action of an RC filter like a tone control. All the taper does is affect how fast the changes happen over the pot sweep; electrically a 30% audio taper pot at the midtravel point is identical to a linear taper pot at the 30% travel point. For a 500k pot you still have 150k on one set of lugs and 350k on the other. We only use audio taper pots because they more closely follow the logarithmic nature of human hearing for volume.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-04-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:

+
First off, if it makes you happy, you’re absolutely free to spend as much as you want and buy what you want.
If I had bought a $6000 guitar with inexpensive components, I would have to ask myself why the best components available weren’t in it to start with
Anyway, I fail to see why you have to denigrate any other equipment.
I just bought a “made in Indonesia” Squier Strat that sounds and plays as good as most of the other Strats I’ve owned and I’ve owned a bunch. I don’t see the need to change anything with it and I seriously doubt it would matter …not to me anyway.
Second, if I could play like John Mayer or somebody, it wouldn’t amount to a hill of beans what caps were in my guitar or amp and nobody would care, including my fellow musicians.
It’s your hobby, I understand.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-04-2023 at 06:05 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars