The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-27-2023, 10:18 AM

Default PRS introduces it's new T style guitar

Miles Kennedy seems to get what he wanted. Whether this will appease the die hard tele fans doesn’t matter because they’re clearly not the demographic PRS is after with this model.
Old 06-27-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I would NEVER buy this guitar. I don't like the looks, the shape is just different enough to bug me, I don't like the pickguard, the black birds on maple, and grafting a PRS headstock on an iconic body style. And the tone is too dark and compressed for what I want out of a Tele.

That said... People who are die hard PRS guitars fans, especially the ones that think they are built to a higher quality standard than the other companies, may just go for it.

I am not a PRS hater, I like my 1994 Custom 22, especially after I swapped the pickups to Wolfetone Legends, and replaced the PRS Phase I winged tuners to a more sensibly designed Schaller tuner with the same gearing as the Phase I but a better locking mechanism. And on my guitar I think the PRS headstock and birds look fine when combined with a dark rosewood fingerboard.
"I like my '94 Cu 22, but I hated the pickups, the tuning machines because they were not sensible, and I dislike the headstock and birds"........Why did you buy it? To complain, and dislike it? I've been admiring electric guitars since the 1960's. From the sounds in the video from Andertons, they both sound great, and that is all that matters to me. One of the worst guitars I've ever purchased was a $3k Strat from Fender custom shop. I've had about 20 PRSi. Wish there were more visionaries like Paul Smith.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Miles Kennedy seems to get what he wanted. Whether this will appease the die hard tele fans doesn’t matter because they’re clearly not the demographic PRS is after with this model.
True. Nobody's going to mistake Miles Kennedy for a chicken picker But PRS is hitting the Tele-Style, "classic meets modern" mantra pretty heavily, which seems a tad counter-intuitive to what I've seen. So far, the only thing I can see as Tele-Style is a loose interpretation of the shape and a bolt-on neck.
Old 06-27-2023, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
True. Nobody's going to mistake Miles Kennedy for a chicken picker But PRS is hitting the Tele-Style, "classic meets modern" mantra pretty heavily, which seems a tad counter-intuitive to what I've seen. So far, the only thing I can see as Tele-Style is a loose interpretation of the shape and a bolt-on neck.
Ha I think your juss'a good ol' country boy at heart

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-27-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
They did sort of get where they are by NOT being a Fender or a Gibson didn't they.
Yes, they did. But the guitars that got them where they are weren't poor copies of a Les Paul, a Strat or a Tele. Paul sorta did his own thing with his guitars and came up with a formula that worked great. This new Tele-based guitar doesn't seem to me to be out of the same creative mold at all; rather, they just seem like copycat designs.

Again, I like PRS guitars and I like the company. So I'm not rooting against them. I just don't know who is going to plop down $2,800 for one of these when there are so many other choices in this price segment that are tried and tested and known to deliver the goods.

I suspect their main success with these may come when they introduce an SE version, which will almost inevitably happen sooner or later . . . and probably sooner.
Old 06-27-2023, 05:40 PM

I've been reluctant to respond,,,

I've never gotten it with PRS guitars

made well ? yes

but they do nothing for me..

These T styles.. as well as their Strat "Copies"

wouldn't buy one

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-27-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

A classic timeless design will always be interpreted by others. This is nothing new. At least, unlike the Silver Sky, this one looks more inspired by the telecaster than being an outright clone with a different headstock. I welcome it.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:13 AM

Fugly at best. PRS have some of the most cringeworthy guitars on the market.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 06-28-2023, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I've been reluctant to respond,,,

I've never gotten it with PRS guitars

made well ? yes

but they do nothing for me..

These T styles.. as well as their Strat "Copies"

wouldn't buy one
No need to be reluctant It's all just subjective personal taste's, and not liking or wanting one or any PRS is just as valid as liking it .

I love my PRS CE 24 but honestly can't see myself buying one of these or the Silver Sky, but not because they are not a Fender

And I also don't buy into the "we don't need another Strat or Tele knockoff" notion . Multiple choice is what makes buying a guitar today more enjoyable than it has ever been,,, IMO.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 07-01-2023, 07:32 AM

I’m old school so… I am not the least bit interested and I’ll stick with my Fenders.
Im curious, who are these marketed toward?

On another note, I get a charge out of folks who generalize about Strats and Teles and their “sound”.
The myriad of single coils alone for these instruments and how they are used makes it virtually impossible to label them.
How do you compare a Buddy Holly Strat to a Hendrix Strat to a Gilmour Strat to a Knopfler Strat to an Eddie Van Halen Strat?
Same with Telecasters….the list is endless from the twangiest twang, to the bluest blues and to the grungiest grunge.
And I didn’t even mention the P90’s , Filtertrons or Humbuckers and all their variations that are used.
They are arguably the most versatile electric guitars ever created.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I’m old school so… I am not the least bit interested and I’ll stick with my Fenders.
Im curious, who are these marketed toward?
Any one that wants a US made PRS with some twang

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-01-2023, 02:39 PM

I’ll wait for the SE version to come out. [emoji38]
Old 07-01-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

On another note, I get a charge out of folks who generalize about Strats and Teles and their “sound".
I'm glad I could give you a charge
Old 07-01-2023, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I would consider an SE version under $1,000.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars