The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 02:04 PM

Default "Acclimating" my new guitar

I have a new Maton coming Wednesday. To let it adjust to its new surroundings, should I remove it from the shipping boxes but leave it in the case? For how long?

Thanks.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 10-19-2020, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

It really depends on the temperature/humidity levels outside compared to those same levels in your house. If there are drastic differences between the outdoor and indoor temps (especially if it's cold outside) then it's best to let the guitar stay in the case until it warms up to room temp. But a quick Google search tells me it's 82 in Birmingham right now, so unless the temp drops drastically in the next couple of days I think you'll be good to open it right away. If anything it might need a little time to cool off if it's sitting in a hot truck all day, but as mentioned the bigger danger is going from extreme cold to warm.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:48 PM

Not sure what the temperature/humidity changes are going to be but 24 hours in the case should more than adequate.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:51 PM

Birmingham, its going to be 80 everyday, wait about 2 mins it takes to get it open
Old 10-19-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

And to answer the question in terms of the longer run, depending where the guitar was built and/or what climate it is most used to and how that differs from your climate might mean that once the guitar settles into the new climate for a few months, you may need a set up. This happened to me twice with guitars coming from a much drier environment to my area which is more humid.

Congrats on the new addition.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-19-2020, 04:07 PM

Jerry, an adjustment period is mostly about letting a cold-soaked guitar come back to room temperature slowly and evenly. Especially with nitrocellulose finishes (Martin, etc) the warming wood will expand much quicker than the brittle lacquer can, and you get cold checking - that fine pattern of cracking in the finish only. I once watched a cold-soaked Martin in Alaska that spent overnight in a vehicle at -35°F. When the owner opened the case indoors without waiting we both watched in horror - him more than me - as the cracks progressed across the top of his guitar in mere seconds.

This time of year, the box has likely been on a delivery truck all day in conditions not much different than your house. So your guitar can come out of the case as soon as you are done opening the cardboard box. If the case is very hot or cold to the touch, maybe let it sit for 4-6 hours before opening. Caveat: follow any special instructions that the seller has to preserve your right to return if it is not to your liking.

On a longer term basis (2-3 weeks) if your environment is much drier or more humid than where the guitar has been living, it might settle a bit into its new environment and need some setup work. If your house is humid the action will likely need to be lowered a bit (top swelling). If it is dry, then you might need to raise the action slightly by shimming the saddle. When I lived in Alaska, many players had taller winter saddles and shorter summer saddles and would switch twice a year, to avoid chasing a setup constantly.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:08 PM

As noted, I live in Birmingham, Alabama and the guitar is coming from Charlotte, North Carolina. I believe they've had the guitar for a while, at least, and it only shipped today, so I guess the temp change should be minimal (except for the truck time).

I'm hoping a few hours in the case will be sufficient, based on advice above.

Thanks to everyone.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 10-20-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
As noted, I live in Birmingham, Alabama and the guitar is coming from Charlotte, North Carolina. I believe they've had the guitar for a while, at least, and it only shipped today, so I guess the temp change should be minimal (except for the truck time).

Thanks to everyone.
You should be fine. Post a NGD thread when you get it.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post

Thanks to everyone.
I would be opening the box and I carried it in from the truck. Congratulations on the new guitar and ENJOY!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion