The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Default Yet another string thread, X7 this time

I will soon be in the market for the first replacement strings on my recently-purchased Emerald X7. It shipped with D'Addario EXP 19 .012-.056. These are a coated "light top, medium bottom" PB set and I have no complaints about durability or tone. But one loves to tinker...and I keep hearing that carbon might be even more sensitive to string variables than wood (ok, I hear the can of worms opening now).

What have you tried and liked - or didn't like - and why?
Old 11-16-2020, 11:05 AM

I found that with my X7 (caveat - this is a ten year-old 'center hole' model) .13s and even .14s (when I can find them) work best. With .12s, the strings are too loose and I find I get unwanted noise from the (hollow) neck. Things feel and sound much better with heftier strings. Right now, I'm favoring D'Addario Nickel Bronze .13s on my X7. Had them on for months with no issues so far.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

I had an X7 for about a year, sold it in April - it's the current model. Loved the sound and playability, but eventually didn't love the size and dimensions - made finger style really difficult for me because I like my right hand near the bridge for palm muting and sometimes for anchoring my hand. And also a shorter scale than I really prefer. I tried a lot of strings on that guitar and I ended up with DR Sunbeams on it all the time. I also liked Martin Monels, which are my overwhelming favorite on my CEO-7 (I guess I like guitars with 7's in the name?), but I LOVED the Sunbeams. I also found 12s a little looser than I liked on such a short scale, but they sounded heavenly and I tried mediums a couple of times and thought they sounded pretty bad - like they somehow choked that little guitar. But the Sunbeam lights just sounded amazing to my ears.

-Ray
Old 11-16-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I found that with my X7 (caveat - this is a ten year-old 'center hole' model) .13s and even .14s (when I can find them) work best. With .12s, the strings are too loose and I find I get unwanted noise from the (hollow) neck. Things feel and sound much better with heftier strings. Right now, I'm favoring D'Addario Nickel Bronze .13s on my X7. Had them on for months with no issues so far.
I use the D' NB strings (lights, though) on my Cargo and for reasons I can't articulate was resisting the same ones on the X7. Will reconsider.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:25 PM

For what it is worth, I tried some EJ18s on my X7 - heavy strings. I do not like them as they seem to compress the sound too much. I like the gauges for not bending out of tune as easily, but the sound is not as bright and shimmery as the medium gauges I had on it before. I want to try the Newtone DADGAD set next - I put their strings on my Amicus and they work marvelously.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber