The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Default 1934-1935 Harmony archtop questions

Earlier today I dropped by my local guitar shop, Local Music. Owner Tom is a great guy and very knowledgable so I go as often as I am able to. Upon browsing through his current inventory I noticed this sunburst finished archtop, name logo is long gone, decent action and intonation, all original tuners, Vneck with chunky profile(no truss rod). Plays very well, intonation is good. We deducted it is a Harmony by the headstock shape, stamp on the inside is all but gone, could make out letter S and what looked like 7 as one of the numbers. Inside it has number 129 in few different places.
It has darker sunburst finish, solid top as there is a repaired crack on bottom F hole, seems like birch back and sides of plywood variety with painted on maple motif. Not sure of the fretboard material, has no binding, some of the color is coming off of neck and lighter color possibly wood itself is showing through. Fretboard inlays are very nicely done, it has snowflake inlays with an inlay on 14th fret as well (first time I have seen on in that location). There is no binding on the body that I could see as well.
I know it is a long shot, anyone out there with one or possibly similar model, I believe lower bout is 15 1/2 on this one, felt like a mini jumbo when played, very comfortable guitar.
Sound wise it is a balanced guitar, responded well to dynamic playing all flesh, flatpicked sounded just as good.
Awaiting for Tom to do more research as far as the value, give it a good look over, etc. If we can work out financial side of it I might just have a NGD soon.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Well it looks like I will be getting this gem tomorrow pending work schedule prevents it.
After more research on our part it seems previous owner added fretboard inlay stickers and glossed them over. So this one is not one of the fancier Harmony models. I am ok with that as it affected price to my advantage. Not much of a fancy trim guy in any case. I care for playability and tone.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

Sounds nice, looking forward to an NGD and some pictures...been looking at some older Harmony's and Kay's lately myself...

Last edited by ronbo; 08-26-2014 at 12:20 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops