The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM

Default "Just Jazz Guitar" magazine?

My apologies for posting this a second time; I posted in the General sub-forum, but it's getting very very little attention. Thought maybe I'd get more response here.

Is Just Jazz Guitar magazine worthwhile? What's typically in it, and what level(s) does it address? It's a bit expensive, at $44 for four issues a year, but if it's good.....
Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

I found a bunch of examples of stuff that the magazine contains, there on the site reached by the link in the OP. I liked that there are digital music tracks.

I'm not sure what the OP desires from a resource like this, so I'm not sure how to assess the cost to value question.

$12 an issue for a quarterly publication doesn't seem to me to be a lot of money, and a one year subscription wouldn't be the worst decision I made if it failed to satisfy me.

Before buying I might think about looking at youtube and otherwhere on the internet to make sure i wasn't paying for something that was already available at no cost; unless the convenience was valued, then, that's yet another view!

my 2 cents.
good luck

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-02-2015, 01:07 PM

I too saw the website; based on everything there, looks like it could be good. Was really looking to hear from somebody who subscribes, or has in the last few years, and can say whether it lives up to the appearance.

Last edited by MrBJones; 05-02-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:37 PM

I've been a subscriber since almost the very beginning. I've purchased back issues over the years, for those first couple of years I missed and am probably only missing the first issue.

Lot's of lessons and articles on music theory and technique in every issue complete with lead sheets and examples, etc. Great interviews with jazz guitarists who may only be known regionally or not at all, to guitarists who are known internationally. Filled with black and white photographs from jazz guitar get-togethers, concerts, club dates, etc in every issue.

Very low key publication. I believe just the editor/owner (Ed Benson), his wife and his daughter are responsible for publishing and circulating the quarterly magazine. He appears to have articles and interviews that are submitted by many different folks including educators, professional musicians and the like.

If you are a fan and/or student of jazz guitar, Just Jazz Guitar is a must have. The back issues are worth hanging onto as a historical resource as well as for the many great lessons.

My very humble and personal (yet enthusiastic) opinion.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 AM

JJG is fabulous. In every issue there are 4 or 5 must-read articles, new ways into playing, philosophical essays, great charts, interviews with players, CD and gear reviews. It never fails to stimulate new thinking and playing. It is also a reminder of how a paper publication can be engrossing at a deeper level than on-line reading. I take it along to read on airplanes, stuff it in my travel bag, keep a copy in the office and on the kitchen counter. Nothing like it!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 AM

$44? That's my subscription to Guitar Player magazine. But if I cancel GP, how will I learn to play like Zach Wylde or why Joe Bonamassa needs 6 vintage Les Pauls in order to express himself.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Thanks Livingston and Richard for those recommendations. Think I'll subscribe!

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops