The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-03-2019, 02:38 AM

If one cannot try before one buys, then buying usd involves a lower risk of loss usually than commissioning a new build as long as the particular guitar has a configuration that is generally in demand because a used guitar is sold at a lower price than a new guitar of the same specs. However it certainly doesnt has as much excitement as actually commissioning the guitar.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

It's been 45 years since I've actually got to play a guitar first before I bought it. That was my first guitar, and I didn't know how to play yet either so I had somebody else play different guitars and I listened. But a guitar for the right price and sell it or keep it depending on how you like it. No biggie.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-03-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I first started ordering custom guitars in the early '70s because I became good friends with a starving luthier who really wanted to build and there simply wasn't the sort of guitars I wanted around. He built me a Brazilian SJ200, that I immediately disliked and sold on at a small profit, and a 12 string very much like the D12-35 style, which looked pretty good but started to implode within weeks.

My later history of custom orders have all been pretty poor experiences, partly due to my ignorance of what exactly what I wanted and luthier mistakes.

The last one (and I mean the last one!) was a customised Huss and Dalton DS12 in 2008 (my 60th birthday) - the customisation was just a wider neck, but it was a disaster from day one, and a very unpleasant story, difficult for me and the long suffering dealer. I lost a couple of thou on that one.

Thankfully Collings and Santa Cruz have a very different ethos regarding customer service, but no such issues have occurred.

As regards buying used guitars that I haven't "test driven" most of my guitars come under this category, but over the years, I have learnt what brands and models served me best, and have never had issues with my remote purchases.

The secret (?) in both cases is to know in advance exactly what you want and to be able to ascertain how a purchase will meet your requirements.

As far as tone, I have formed an opinion of what brands will most likely give me what I want, but with new guitars and pre-owned ones, I feel that it is largely my responsibility to open up the guitar to respond to my style.

It takes work to bond with an instrument, it doesn't "just" happen.
Perhaps your starving luthier friend was starving for a reason?

My experiences could not be more different! There is not a luthier that posts in this custom section that I would not order a guitar from site unseen and have complete confidence that I would love it.

I don't know where the perception is coming from that it is a risk, they all offer to take the guitar back after a trial and you are out the shipping. Some folks say they would order a factory guitar without trying it, but not a luthier built. Again, completely opposite here. How many times have we heard you have to play 5-6 or more of the same model of factory built to find the good one? This is not the case with a handbuilt from our luthiers. Are they all stellar, one of a kind, the best ever, no, but they will be consistently great and it is yours, built only for you to your design.

I will not say how many customs I have had built as it is no one's business, but a few and I love them all.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I will not say how many customs I have had built as it is no one's business, but a few and I love them all.
I won't say because I've ordered so many that I'm not sure any more!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Smile Well put Tom!!!

Quote:

My experiences could not be more different! There is not a luthier that posts in this custom section that I would not order a guitar from site unseen and have complete confidence that I would love it.

I don't know where the perception is coming from that it is a risk, they all offer to take the guitar back after a trial and you are out the shipping. Some folks say they would order a factory guitar without trying it, but not a luthier built. Again, completely opposite here. How many times have we heard you have to play 5-6 or more of the same model of factory built to find the good one? This is not the case with a handbuilt from our luthiers. Are they all stellar, one of a kind, the best ever, no, but they will be consistently great and it is yours, built only for you to your design.

I agree completely with Tom! All the AGF Luthiers build FINE INSTRUMENTS INDEED, and, they are all fine gentlemen (and woman) as well.

I certainly am pleased as punch with my3 custom JKs, (soon four). and still have one of my two custom ordered R.Taylors.

My only regret is not getting going sooner in my long and not so illustrious career! Hahahahaha

Happy weekend

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I won't say because I've ordered so many that I'm not sure any more!
It would be embarrassing for me! And prove just how sick I am!
Old 05-06-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
It would be embarrassing for me! And prove just how sick I am!
Your builds are fun and I'm fairly certain that you enjoy them. Perhaps this is part of what makes these guitars work for folks like us. I'll be the first to admit that I'm picky with guitars, much like how I really wanted a plain cheeseburger from fast food joints as a kid. Much like the cheeseburgers, fix the issues and I'm a happy camper.

To a certain extent, I like to think I'm part mad scientist and I'm VERY motivated when someone tells me that something can't be done. I blame the latter on parochial schools, marriage, and almost 2 decades at an academic hospital.

Back to the subjects that inspired this thread, one mentioned he could play several hundred guitars and likely not be happy with them. Being unhappy or wishy washy with most gear tends to be a common thread on that particular forum. I guess I can't relate since I tend to be happy with most stuff within reason if I can make my necessary tweaks.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

>>>>> Very unkind. How many of your luthiers were building with no access to other high quality guitars in the late '60s and '70s with little or no sources of reference. <<<<<<<<

>>> well, good for you <<<
see above.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop