The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I have my doubts that the tone of pre-war Martins (or post-war either) was achieved by tap-tuning rather than constructing to dimensions.

I could be wrong, of course ...
I believe it was John Greven who wrote that pre-war Martin tops were thinner than those being made today and that they varied a bit in thickness from top to top back then. It is his contention that they were hand made by artisans and that the difference in thickness from top to top was due to the individual properties (stiffness and weight) of each piece of spruce. They may have not been tap tuned though.

Interestingly, he also says that Gibson tops from that era varied in thickness much more than Martin's, apparently because the wood they used varied quite a bit more in stiffness/weight.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

Last edited by billgennaro; 01-14-2015 at 06:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop