The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Very neat thread and a nice looking guitar too.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM

...bump
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Rod
The nut itself is rigid enough that I believe it will span the 1/4"- gap without any issues whatsoever. In fact, it has never occurred to me to question it. In order to have a spline over tha truss rod it must be set deeper into the neck. That means there is less material between the metal and the free world and that limits the thinness of the neck and it's ability to with stand abuse which might split the neck or expose the slot. Both of these possible eventualities have actualized in my historical work. I see no advantage, quite the contrary, in have something between the truss rod and the ebony.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Rod
The nut itself is rigid enough that I believe it will span the 1/4"- gap without any issues whatsoever. In fact, it has never occurred to me to question it. In order to have a spline over tha truss rod it must be set deeper into the neck. That means there is less material between the metal and the free world and that limits the thinness of the neck and it's ability to with stand abuse which might split the neck or expose the slot. Both of these possible eventualities have actualized in my historical work. I see no advantage, quite the contrary, in have something between the truss rod and the ebony.
Thank you so much Bruce for you thoughts on this, I really do appreciate it
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Came in from Woodstock last night at 10 pm and was at the bench by 10 am this morning. Peter came at 11 and we sanded coat five and applied coat six. Too subtle to be interesting in pictures, so I didn't make any. Tomorrow we will apply the penultimate coat, most likely.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Came in from Woodstock last night at 10 pm and was at the bench by 10 am this morning. Peter came at 11 and we sanded coat five and applied coat six. Too subtle to be interesting in pictures, so I didn't make any. Tomorrow we will apply the penultimate coat, most likely.
Penultimate means second to last in case anyone was wondering. It is a very high dollar word that will give people something to scratch their head about.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hmm. I thought that was a standard issue word despite having more than seven letters. I have heard that the English language is getting by on about the one third the words in popular use a hundred years ago, perhaps this one should be replaced by a handfull of shorter ones.

In this case, however, my penultimate coat is actually treated differently than the ones that preceded it, and so I think of it in it's own light and give it this specific name. It must go perfectly, as the previous several did not need to, because I intend to block it out with 800 wet'n'dry and hope to not breach it anywhere in preparation for the final coat. A week later that coat will be sanded with 1200 grit wet and then buffed before the neck is glued to the body.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Enough of the six bit word stuff, today I believe I put on the final coat. I have never sprayed a better coat IMO. Peter and I agreed to take a few days off and we will meet next Wednesday to block and buff.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
In this case, however, my penultimate coat is actually treated differently than the ones that preceded it, and so I think of it in it's own light and give it this specific name.
The ones that preceded it would properly be termed the antepenultimate coat and the pre-antepenultimate coat ...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

The trouble with naming things back to front is that I never know which will be last when doing the first.

Looks like tomorrow's the big day for this project:
Old 11-05-2011, 05:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday was indeed the day of reckoning. I expect Peter to have something nice to say about the guitar, but if not, I'll share my observations with you in a week or so. I have a page up at my website here.

And here's a picture of Peter in the first couple of minutes of the guitar's life:

Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Nice things to say is an understatement!

This guitar is a masterpiece of construction, but more important is her tonal nature. She is powerful and sensitive to light touch. The bass is warm, clear, and colorful; trebles sing with shimmer and depth; open strings to high fretted notes have exceptional sustain. She is a beauty and an inspiration with a significant voice. I cannot imagine a clearer demonstration of mastery in lutherie or a clearer demonstration that a fundamental aesthetic principle guiding construction can lead to an exceptional outcome. Thanks, Bruce!
Old 11-05-2011, 07:46 PM

I think he liked it. And the experience. Congratulations to you both.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 AM

I think I like it too... great thread and wonderful outcome.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Graduation

Bruce was a tough examiner, and I barely survived. In the end, he presented me with a very welcome diploma:

You may recognize the guitar.

As a practical man, Bruce printed the document on a t-shirt.

The Master Class was all good.... The guitar remains exceptional, and I remain exceptionally happy with it and the experience. Bruce's instruction is currently benefiting my baritone build. The body after binding is especially tight and quite alive.

Best wishes to the AGF members!

Peter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop