The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-16-2021, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Smile Hahahahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
If you are looking for a small builder, I would like to mention that I am only about 5 foot 7 (used to be taller but eons of gravity have taken their toll) and reasonably trim.
My new JK Custom (#160) arrived today. See the ecstatic review and listen to Al Petteway play it!

May your custom instrument bring you tons of enjoyment!

I suggest really considering ergonomics, as well as esthetics. It needs to be comfy for YOU.

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-16-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthishope View Post
I

That's why I started down the path of a commissioned guitar...but I don't have $15k to drop on a guitar.
I have seen luthier made "one of" guitars from $2500-$40,000. The vast majority are under $10000 and there are plenty under $5000. One of the things to look at how many he or she has made. The more you've done, the more you have honed your skills. And, theoretically, the greater price one can command. But not always. I have seen young builders with not that many completions command higher prices than some with hundreds under their belt.

John Kinnaird - you got to the "small builder" interpretation before I did, so I am stuck with giving useful answers.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:11 AM

Thanks all! This has been really helpful. After all this info, checking prices, really determining what I would be excited about and how much I'm willing to risk, at this point I have settle on looking for a good deal on a used Bourgeois that I love. It won't look exactly how I like but finding an already built guitar will ensure that I don't end up with something that doesn't thrill me when I play it. Playing an example guitar is great, but I've played enough guitars to know that I bond with VERY few.

Plus, I really only want to spend around $4k or so and that severely limits the number of experienced builders I could even consider. Seems like most on here (even the small ones xD) are still in the starting place of $6k+. Which is a great deal for what they are producing and absolutely worth the price tag for the amount of work and experience that goes into doing it well. I just don't have it to spend.

Any builders out there who want to do a partial service swap, I do voice over, audio and video production, and web design! Maybe I'll reach out to some great builders with 'meh' websites and no audio/video examples
Old 02-17-2021, 07:29 AM
Musical minimalist

Did you see the PM's I sent along?

Old 02-17-2021, 07:44 AM

I will check him out for sure! Local means that at the very least I get a great conversation and opportunity to play a beautiful guitar or 2. Ya never know!

Another option would be buying one of the commissioned builds from an AGFer that decided to leave home for whatever reason (the guitar leaving home...not the person xD)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
If you are looking for a small builder, I would like to mention that I am only about 5 foot 7 (used to be taller but eons of gravity have taken their toll) and reasonably trim.
This almost made me spit my coffee on my keyboard. IMNSHO this earns john the nod for the commission.

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks all! This has been really helpful. After all this info, checking prices, really determining what I would be excited about and how much I'm willing to risk, at this point I have settle on looking for a good deal on a used Bourgeois that I love. It won't look exactly how I like but finding an already built guitar will ensure that I don't end up with something that doesn't thrill me when I play it. Playing an example guitar is great, but I've played enough guitars to know that I bond with VERY few.

Plus, I really only want to spend around $4k or so and that severely limits the number of experienced builders I could even consider. Seems like most on here (even the small ones xD) are still in the starting place of $6k+. Which is a great deal for what they are producing and absolutely worth the price tag for the amount of work and experience that goes into doing it well. I just don't have it to spend.

Any builders out there who want to do a partial service swap, I do voice over, audio and video production, and web design! Maybe I'll reach out to some great builders with 'meh' websites and no audio/video examples
I think this is sound thinking. There are some fantastic small shop companies like Collings, Bourgeois, Goodall, Santa Cruz, etc. that will deliver an incredible value at that price point without all the risk. In the meantime, develop a rapport with some solo luthiers. Go to some guitar shows and shops if you can. Play examples of builders' work. Or, perhaps best of all, buy a used or spec luthier-built instrument after having played it.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:24 PM

Thanks for that suggestion, Todd! Woah...I went and spent a couple hours with Scott McNeill and I'm pretty much sold. The only physical example he had was what he called his Frankenstein guitar (17 years old and quite a story) and even THAT sounded great. He sent me some recordings too, but I have no doubt he can hit the mark in my price range.

Just the fact that he is in my back yard and has been delivering guitars for 20 years is a testament enough to set my risk analysis at ease.

I haven't put a deposit down, but I'm starting to design. Look for an excited McNeill thread coming soon...unless something crazy happens like Sound Pure discounting that Bourgeois Brazilian Slope D to $1500...and even then I have a feeling Scott would build something I would cherish MORE.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:28 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion, Todd! Woah...I went and spent a couple hours with Scott McNeill and I'm pretty much sold. The only physical example he had was what he called his Frankenstein guitar (17 years old and quite a story) and even THAT sounded great. He sent me some recordings too, but I have no doubt he can hit the mark in my price range.

Just the fact that he is in my back yard and has been delivering guitars for 20 years is a testament enough to set my risk analysis at ease.

I haven't put a deposit down, but I'm starting to design. Look for an excited McNeill thread coming soon...unless something crazy happens like Sound Pure discounting that Bourgeois Brazilian Slope D to $1500...and even then I have a feeling Scott would build something I would cherish MORE.
So glad it worked out - can't wait to see the results. I'm confident you'll be happy!

Old 02-17-2021, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Smile Todd to the rescue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
So glad it worked out - can't wait to see the results. I'm confident you'll be happy!
Once again, fitness1 helps another AGFer! I hope you enjoy your process almost as much as your custom build.

Consider ergonomics !!! Now you can...

Salud

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-18-2021, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

My first thought when reading the thread title was:

"EVERY builder starts as a 'small builder'"....

I played my first guitar built by Bob Taylor in 1978... he was building guitars while he worked at American Dream Guitars in San Diego... he was definitely a "small" builder then!

I ended up with my Mark Angus #35, 1979... loved it, played the dickens out of it for 41 years before I sold it.

Just because no one knows a builder's name doesn't mean that he's not building exemplary instruments. If you play a few of one builder's guitars and love them, love the look, fit and finish, then you're more than halfway through the process.

As others have said, buying a custom build for "resale" value means you'd be better off with a "brand name" on the headstock. In my opinion, this would be the worst possible reason for getting a custom build.

Whatever you decide, take your time and be certain about the builder and what YOU want... trust them to give you the best they know how and listen to them and their suggestions, as they know more about this than you do!

Then trust them, stay out of their hair and let them build your guitar!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 PM

Love it! I just delivered the initial specs to Scott for a build hopefully in 2021 still. I really enjoyed my time with him and there have been enough to vouch for him, sample I have heard are what I'm looking for and the builds he currently has on the bench (not to mention more years of experience building for others than I've even been playing guitar) have me convinced enough that he is gonna make me a really special instrument.

Now all I'm trying to decide is on the balance of the details and designs. I like artistic and yet not flashy.

We'll see what transpires over the next few months I have to finalize the design.

Thanks all for your insight. I'm really glad I hopped back on the forum after years of absence. I love this community
Old 02-22-2021, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

This is interesting to me...I just learned about two new builders in my backyard...I'll be watching the McNeill build with interest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop