The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2019, 08:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Top Bracing

After the guitar is designed, woods selected and thinned, brace wood selected, split out, tested, matched, placed and glued I voice my tops. It's close to the last steps I do to fine tune to my target tone and response characteristics.

I usually show a picture here of a chisel or fingerplane taking fine shavings to adjust the weight and flexibility of the braces. There is another process going on at this time also which is managing how the braces are coupled.

The transverse brace, to my mind, is the most structural brace supporting the top and holding off future neck resets. It does have a strong tonal influence in that it acts as a side for the top which stops and reflects vibration back into the soundboard, like a side does. It helps maintain the symmetry of the vibrating top for maximum response. It's placement enables ideal bridge placement.

I strongly couple this brace to the sides and the sound hole support braces are tightly coupled to the transverse brace for structural reasons as well:

I view all other top braces as tone braces. The way these connect to one and other varies greatly to achieve different purposes. All of which can be manipulated in the voicing process. This is just another less mentioned layer of complexity in the wonderful art of adding voice to a wooden box:

When all is set the top is ready to close the box:

Thanks for following along!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 12-28-2019, 05:42 AM

Very cool pics...took a minute for my eyes and brain to figure out what I was looking at! Your descriptions of bracing strategy really give a clearer picture of how the soundboard works.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 12-28-2019, 08:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Very cool pics...took a minute for my eyes and brain to figure out what I was looking at! Your descriptions of bracing strategy really give a clearer picture of how the soundboard works.
Thanks ukejon I’m glad that helped!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 01-06-2020, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Redwood/Mahogany Woodsman Spec Udate

I have cut and glued on the English Bog Oak binding for my spec old Mahogany Woodsman. I happened to be binding the Greta Tree Mahogany at the same time. It struck me that both these guitars are the same same species of Mahogany. The Woodsman's Mahogany was cut about 250 years ago and laid on the bottom of a river in Belize. The Tree wood was cut in the 70's and laid across a ravine for about twenty years. The history of the two is quite different and the looks and characteristics of these two are also completely different. It is hard to believe they are the same species!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 01-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Cool comparison between these like-species guitars.

What a difference--nature sure offers us such beautiful palettes to choose from.

They both look wonderful, Mark!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-06-2020, 04:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Cool comparison between these like-species guitars.

What a difference--nature sure offers us such beautiful palettes to choose from.

They both look wonderful, Mark!
Thanks Nemoman! It is a good example of how the variance within a species can be greater than the average variance between species. It always comes down to the particular wood set you have in hand that defines how a guitar looks and sounds

Steven Wright
Old 01-11-2020, 11:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Mahogany/Swiss Spruce Josie Small Jumbo

I'm working on a lot of Honduran backed guitars lately but, I didn't notice because they are so incredibly different from one and other.

Here are some pictures of the other guitar that I started and will finish on this studio thread. It is my Josie small jumbo model with a magnificent Swiss "Moon" alpine Spruce on Mahogany from the Fiddleback Tree. The finish is on it now and I'll work to have it strung up next week:

Cheers!
Mark

Steven Wright
Old 01-11-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

😯 JAWDROPPER ! From either angle.
The finish really accentuates the wonderful woods and their respective aesthetics.
Looking forward to seeing it strung up !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
I'm working on a lot of Honduran backed guitars lately but, I didn't notice because they are so incredibly different from one and other.

Here are some pictures of the other guitar that I started and will finish on this studio thread. It is my Josie small jumbo model with a magnificent Swiss "Moon" alpine Spruce on Mahogany from the Fiddleback Tree. The finish is on it now and I'll work to have it strung up next week:

Cheers!
Mark
Old 01-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Alpine Moon Spruce - The Fiddleback Tree Mahogany Josie

Quote:

Cheers!
Mark
Yowzah Mark that FBT really pops under finish, excellent workmanship as usual! Looking forward to seeing the final pics once final touches are complete.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful work Mark. I am always impressed with your artistry and today i find myself impressed with the orderliness of your shop. How do you do that?
Old 01-11-2020, 02:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
😯 JAWDROPPER ! From either angle.
The finish really accentuates the wonderful woods and their respective aesthetics.
Looking forward to seeing it strung up !
Thanks Lonzo! It’s a wonderful group of woods to work with and the finish shows of off nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Yowzah Mark that FBT really pops under finish, excellent workmanship as usual! Looking forward to seeing the final pics once final touches are complete.
Thanks doodahdoug, I can’t wait to hear it! That Swiss top is the best I’ve ever worked with so my expectations a very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Beautiful work Mark. I am always impressed with your artistry and today i find myself impressed with the orderliness of your shop. How do you do that?
Thanks John, My secret for keeping the shop organized is my work table is too small to let tools accumulate so I have to clean up after each step.

Steven Wright
Old 01-11-2020, 08:28 PM

Beautiful! Tell us more about the use of a maple neck. Aesthetic choice?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-12-2020, 05:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Beautiful! Tell us more about the use of a maple neck. Aesthetic choice?
Thanks ukejon, The Maple neck is New Hampshire Hard Maple, or locally called Sugar Maple. It is a bit heavier than Honduran Mahogany and a little lighter than East Indian Rosewood. Sound wise, I plan on more sustain than I’d get from a Mahogany neck and maybe a little brighter tone. This is a large Mahogany guitar with a very lightweight top so I believe the brightness and sustain will contribute to the overall balance. I do have to say this would be subtle differences.

Aesthetically, that clean white Hard Maple contrasts wonderfully with the highly figured Fiddleback Tree body and it goes well with the clean white Swiss Alpine Spruce top. The multi colored marquetry I did on the back of the neck is set off nicely by that neck.

I love the feel of a satin finished Maple neck. It feels fast and cool to the touch.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 01-12-2020, 06:56 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Exquisite workmanship Mark! A work of art.

My 2014 Tree Penelope with an Alpine Spruce top (Hatcher made for Rob C) has really come alive. Only thing I wish it had was a satin neck.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I view all other top braces as tone braces. The way these connect to one and other varies greatly to achieve different purposes. All of which can be manipulated in the voicing process.

Thanks for following along!
Mark
The height to width ratio of your braces is interesting.
I don’t recall the equation for the bending moment of a beam but adding height increases the strength by a much greater factor than the width.
Overall mass may be equivalent, but you have a stronger beam for a given mass.

Very interesting. I need to go dig out an engineering text or two. It’s only been 30 years since school.

Thanks for the look under the hood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop