The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2022, 05:05 AM

Default free online Will service

Hello, I don't plan on leaving the Earth anytime soon. I want to have a Will done and ready for that time. I don't like the thought of the legal system siphoning off my assets while things get figured out.

Nothing complicated here. Equity in my home, IRA, Pension etc. So, if anyone can recommend a way to do a Will without visiting an Attorney, I would appreciate it. Also, any advice on what to avoid.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:26 AM

Legal Zoom.
It's not free, but it's cheap and better than that.

It's legal.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-15-2022, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Timely, thanks for posting.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

A second vote for Legal Zoom. Very straightforward, and reasonably priced.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-15-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsay777 View Post
Hello, I don't plan on leaving the Earth anytime soon. I want to have a Will done and ready for that time. I don't like the thought of the legal system siphoning off my assets while things get figured out.

Nothing complicated here. Equity in my home, IRA, Pension etc. So, if anyone can recommend a way to do a Will without visiting an Attorney, I would appreciate it. Also, any advice on what to avoid.

Thanks.
Depending on your assets, this is flawed. It may be that you need a revocable trust and pour over will to avoid that "siphoning" you are concerned about.

At about same time we had a family member pass away and someone close to us had a loss where there was only a will. It was all much easier, faster and less expensive where there was the trust, proper deeding of assets and pour over will. Same time all we are doing is waiting for next year's tax season the other party is dealing with probate and some other matters.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

We went to a lawyer to get our will made and it cost $50 at the time. It isn't anything fancy or tricky just a legal strait forward will. Two children. When my mother passed, she didn't have a will. It was just my brother and I and she didn't have a house. We just took care of things and that was that. I didn't see where lawyers or the law had anything to do with anything.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Without a will or trust some states have laws that restrict what the survivors can do and of course taxes must be collected, social security delt with... possibly repayment of any overpayment. Pension funds? Having a trust attorney do it correctly and update everything every three years is money well spent.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-15-2022, 10:16 AM
Anticipation Junkie

If you do opt for a lawyer, make sure you articulate your wishes and READ and UNDERSTAND every word in the will and powers of attorney (for health and finances). It’s too easy to just accept the “template” that’s placed in front of you for signature without properly realizing certain nuances of what you may think is your strait-forward and simple estate that can have huge consequences. My wife and I haven’t done a DIY will/POAs, but there must be aspects that take careful reading and understanding before formalizing. Jmo.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Yes. My advice is don't use a "free" service, it is worth every penny it costs you, and may cost you and yours a whole lot more.

Don't use commercial "will writing" services. I did. It's a con.

Take proper authorised legal advice. it may be worth much more than it costs.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yes. My advice is don't use a "free" service, it is worth every penny it costs you, and may cost you and yours a whole lot more.

Don't use commercial "will writing" services. I did. It's a con.

Take proper authorised legal advice. it may be worth much more than it costs.
100% agree with this advice.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Got agree with those above who recommend getting some counsel. Do you have any friends who've been through the process (perhaps with recently deceased parents) who can refer you to someone good?

Mrs. Tinnitus was a banker for decades, and a will alone (prepared by anyone) was insufficient for the purpose of simply showing up to claim money.

I'm no expert (and I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express), but having been through this with my family, I will say that there are specific reasons for numerous documents including:
- wills
- trusts (revokable and irrevocable)
- deeds
- joint ownership of accounts
- designated beneficiaries
- and more

Somebody qualified can probably explain which of these you'll actually need to keep the assets out of probate (the often-lengthy process of waiting for the court to decide what will happen to the estate, and when).

Avoid the legal firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe.

Last edited by tinnitus; 05-15-2022 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks.
I would suggest that you invest in an appointment with an attorney to explore your situation and your options.

IRA's, pensions, and insurance proceeds do not pass through a will. We don't know enough about your personal situation to give you real advice, but if you have a simple will that leaves everything to your spouse and both of you die at the same time, then the legal system is probably going to step in and siphon off your assets regardless of your expressed wished here for that not to happen.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 05-16-2022, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I would suggest that you invest in an appointment with an attorney to explore your situation and your options.

IRA's, pensions, and insurance proceeds do not pass through a will. We don't know enough about your personal situation to give you real advice, but if you have a simple will that leaves everything to your spouse and both of you die at the same time, then the legal system is probably going to step in and siphon off your assets regardless of your expressed wished here for that not to happen.
Agree and would add: an estate planning attorney specifically.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:40 PM

Lots of good advice so far. My main comment is don't try to do this on the cheap. You may have very simple estate issues and a cookie cutter Will 'might' do the job but beyond this, there are all kinds of headaches that can arise.

It does not cost a great deal to have a will prepared by a good lawyer. Well worth the money. Do you want your heirs to argue because you were not clear with your wishes and distributions?

I have no idea how things are in the US, I'm in Canada and taught college level
courses in estate planning but getting good help in preparing a will IS important.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
A second vote for Legal Zoom. Very straightforward, and reasonably priced.
We did our Legal Zoom wills some years ago, when we realized we needed to do at least the basics.

When I received a serious medical diagnosis about 18 months ago, we consulted with a lawyer who specializes in estate planning. We wanted to get things like POAs, Health Care Directives and so on taken care of - and redo wills, if necessary.

Our lawyer pronounced herself quite happy with the wills we already had, and saw no need to redraw them. Good enough for me.

Aretha Franklin and Prince both died without wills. Don’t be them, whichever route you choose.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic